Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 05:01 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I was 27, single, and relocating from Boston to Chicago. I knew nothing (or very little about) about Woodstock. I was driving the company car on the NY State Thruway (I90). I picked up two young female hitchhikers who had been at Woodstock and were going to Minneapolis. They were young and pretty but needed food, showers, and clean clothes. We stopped along the way and I bought them supper. We hit it off and they spent a few days with me in Chicago. They were my first threesome. 3 days later I got home from work one afternoon and they were gone. Fond memories.
Smart man for the price of a good meal. Hopefully not your last
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 08:10 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,250,399 times
I wasn't anywhere near Woodstock!

Spent 3 weeks of that summer at a warm springs dude ranch in Wyoming. Remember how we had to fiddle with the TV ears to get a clear picture to watch the moon walk on July 20, 1969.

The song that I remember most from that year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izQB2-Kmiic

Old 08-10-2017, 10:14 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
Somewhere close to Lai Khe
III Corp
Viet Nam

Old 08-11-2017, 03:42 PM

586 posts, read 314,422 times
I was in the Army.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:09 PM

16,079 posts, read 10,744,030 times
I was in a family summer cabin but followed the ongoing drama on the radio. My brother was on the highway about an hour away from the site but couldn't get any closer. The Manson family killed Sharon Tate and her friends about a week earlier. The moon landing was less than a month before. I was 0 for 3.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:15 PM

Who remembers what a "child of God" was from the song Woodstock?

Old 08-11-2017, 11:32 PM

35,061 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Who remembers what a "child of God" was from the song Woodstock?
Stardust, golden, and needed to get "back to the Garden." In other words Adam or Eve.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:11 AM

122 posts, read 371,128 times
I was only 12 and living in NYC. My older sister wanted to go... she was 17 but my mom wouldn't let her go. I remember watching the news reports and my mom being very happy my sister was home.

But I did just see Santana playing at Bethel Woods last weekend. Bethel Woods is a concert venue and museum built on the site of Woodstock. Let me just say that Carlos still has it. It was a fantastic concert!

Old 08-12-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Stardust, golden, and needed to get "back to the Garden." In other words Adam or Eve.
"We came upon a Child of God..."
The "Children of God" was counter culture communal "Jesus Freak" movement that was popular among some young people in the 1960s in or on the fringes of the Hippie culture. They are pretty much forgotten now. There was a spectrum of these types of religious groups. I mostly recall the Hari Krishna groups but the Children of God would go out in a similar fashion and proselytize wherever there were groups of people (like at Woodstock). When out on the urban streets they sometimes tried to appear quite conventional but it didn't always work. You could usually pick them out. The organization/cult went through some difficulties and morphed into The Family of Love and still exists as The Family International. They still maintain communal homes. The Back to the Garden line is reminiscent of some of the GOG proselytizing and probably referred to the Garden of Eden in some way. It has also morphed somewhat into a kind of Eco-phrase reference to saving the Earth.

Joni Mitchell did not attend Woodstock so her song is second hand information.

Old 08-12-2017, 03:16 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,350,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
"We came upon a Child of God..."
The "Children of God" was counter culture communal "Jesus Freak" movement that was popular among some young people in the 1960s in or on the fringes of the Hippie culture. They are pretty much forgotten now. .
Don't know about that particular segment but we former "Jesus Freaks" are actually alive and well and a good many hundreds of thousands of us are at Calvary Chapels around the globe. Started by the wonderful, late Chuck Smith in California who nixed the desires of his then church populace who were disturbed by "these dirty hippies in their bare feet who stained the carpet." So Pastor Chuck decided to rip out the carpet! Got to meet him several years ago in SE PA (about 30 miles outside of Philly) shortly before he "went home." FABULOUS GUY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement