Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 04:24 PM

121 posts, read 75,667 times

Advertisements

As there is a thread about great decisions , what about decisions you got wrong or /regret during your time?

I would say taking on a managers role at a company after 18 months being there only to realise I wasn't management material and it really took confidence away from me but I got better as time went on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 05:57 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,651,066 times
Being complacent. Not going where the money was. I liked what I did, nested for 15 years, relocated to another state with the same agency, changed agency, never tried for higher grades.

Too late now, retiring in 95 work days.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:33 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,772,388 times
Quit my job from a stable company to work for a startup pre-dotcom burst. But I had to do it to test my limit.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 08-03-2017 at 06:48 PM..

Old 08-03-2017, 06:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,751 posts, read 58,116,312 times
Don't like these 'regret' threads, as there is always a LOT of room for improvement.

From my perspective... tho a great and varied 'career' (international + Skilled tasks + professional tasks) (All great choices)...

regret would be Not realizing a 'career' puts you on a 'PATH" of 'working / indentured' for the best (most healthy / productive) part of your life (or 30 - 40 yrs). really quite a slow way to build wealth, possibly an "impossible route to independence"

There was a much simpler, faster, and rewarding way to get to the same place in life... (which I regret NOT taking...)
Take some risk, Get into something you REALLY enjoy and have latitude to improve.

REPLACE your wages (hourly / monthly work) with a cash flowing - inflation protected income stream (ASAP)

No career / J-O-B required! Lifetime income and wealth building from day one!

Can be many things, generally... Real Estate investing / private businesses / inventions / products / family businesses / apps! / blogs ....

There is always a chance of "Back-fire", so cover your options and pick yourself up and try again.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:17 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,776,492 times
No regrets. No "bad decisions".

I loved my career! Early on, basic science research utilizing earth satellite imagery in the study of the earth's renewable and non-renewable resources; later on, monitoring and commanding two instruments on earth-orbiting environmental satellites. I didn't have a "job" . . . I got paid for a hobby. If I had a "do over" in my career life, I wouldn't change a single thing!

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 08-04-2017, 06:02 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,372,321 times
I'm not one to look back and wallow. So far, even the poor decisions seem to have pushed us in directions we wouldn't have otherwise chosen. It's all worked out.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:53 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,196,514 times
No bad decisions. Made the best choices I knew how to make, given the circumstances of my life at the time. Learned something with every career choice along the way and tried to use that knowledge in the next gig. Some of those choices had stinging repercussions, but like putting your hand in the fire, I learned not to do it again.

Trying not to regret my life decisions at this point. As they say, "All Roads Lead to Rome".

Old 08-04-2017, 10:56 AM

125 posts, read 81,466 times
Not understanding investing and retirement accounts earlier but it's not too late.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:55 AM

1,406 posts, read 1,180,749 times
Not realizing soon enough that if you have ambition to move up in your career, you have to make it happen yourself - don't expect your managers/bosses/etc. to have your best interests at heart.

If you're a great performer, they don't want to lose you to somewhere else (they very much enjoy benefitting from the fruits of your labor), but they also want to spend as little $/effort as possible to keep you. Some will even go so far as to purposely sabotage your career ambitions (as long as it meant you have no other choice but to keep working for them).

Over the course of my career (three different organizations, and seeing first-hand how dozens of managers operate), I'd optimistically say that at best, 1 in 5 to 1 in 6 managers treat their employees well (particularly their star performers). The rest, well - I think I summarized that just above.

Old 08-06-2017, 01:51 PM

6,587 posts, read 7,095,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckeeWannabee View Post
Not understanding investing and retirement accounts earlier but it's not too late.
I second that. I knew about compounding but did really learn about investing until middle of my career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK1 View Post
As there is a thread about great decisions , what about decisions you got wrong or /regret during your time?

I would say taking on a managers role at a company after 18 months being there only to realise I wasn't management material and it really took confidence away from me but I got better as time went on.
Like one other said here I made what I thought and still think we're the best decisions at the time. Changing old decisions may not have resulted in better results.

I am happy with the way things have come out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement