Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 11:02 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times

Advertisements

Retired from work, not retired life so I want to kick up my heels and keep on dancing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 11:25 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
My ultimate final goal: A painless, quick death.

Old 08-20-2017, 11:31 AM

155 posts, read 148,896 times
First objective in my "nevertiree" retirement is a year-long trip around the world ... starting on Thursday.

Depending on this adventure I'll decide on the next goals. Two possibilities are either start a coaching practice or just keep on travelling and sharing the experience.

Old 08-20-2017, 11:38 AM

155 posts, read 148,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
My ultimate final goal: A painless, quick death.
Totally agree - that would be a perfect ending!
[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 08-20-2017, 03:13 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
My one and only goal on a daily basis is to be able to feel my feet hit the floor the next morning. I play all day long.

Old 08-21-2017, 12:29 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
A great many people avoid living by following plans, goals, and objectives. They experience life as it happens. I am not one of those and instead my modest successes in life have been due to goals and plans. It should be no surprise that we approach retirement differently. Some of us are happy just to reach retirement with a measure of financial security. Instead I had a list of goals. Those included selling the house, taking off full time traveling in an rv, developing skills as a photographer and visual artist. Those goals included achieving a level of recognition and having my work accepted by galleries and museums. I have another whole series of goals involving life long learning and take a lot of formal courses as well as teach. I have simpler goals regarding my hobby, archery and am starting to win competitions. At any age and stage of life I believe in setting goals and striving for a level of achievement and excellence.
I was wondering where you had been - had not seen you post in a while.

Old 08-21-2017, 03:32 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,417 times
For the most part any plan I had never came to be. Something (life) interfered. I live day to day and enjoy as much of it as I can.

As many of us have experienced, I have been hurt too many times to count on anything. But I have learned to trust God. I didn't like him for a while, but I got over that. Now that he is in control, I do not worry anymore.

Old 08-21-2017, 04:15 PM

2,478 posts, read 1,545,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpatsLaMoore View Post
I am 56 yo and the concept of retirement is coming into focus. I would be really interested to know from those either in the same situation or already there:

1. What are your top 3 objectives in retirement?
2. What are your top 3 challenges in achieving those objectives?
3. What are you doing about the challenges?

Any input gratefully received!
I'm in similar circumstances.

1. a. Retire as planned, with pension in order.
b. Maximize savings and educate self (and Mrs.) about finances as we plan forward. Pay off mortgage.
c. Live an enriched, active life in multiple places around the globe while holding family and friends close to heart.

2. a. I've got a handful of years to work yet.
b. I have a child who will graduate high school the year I plan to retire.
c. Money (see 2.b.).

3. a. I think one year at a time and try to grow and enjoy as much as possible.
b. See 3.a.
c. We live within means mostly. Both wife and I have pensions, 403b's, and IRA's in addition to a 529.

Another challenge that is significant is making sure wife and I are both happy with our choices moving forward.

Old 08-22-2017, 04:07 PM

352 posts, read 262,605 times
Top 3 goals:

Move to a one story house
Determine the location to move to
Travel more

Challenges:

Finding a home within a price range we are comfortable with.
Husband and I agreeing on where to move. Huge challenge since we want different things.
Compromising. Compromising, and compromising.

About the challenges:
Periodically look at various locations to only realize I don't want to move from where I have lived for over 50 years. And trying to keep an open mind for my husband and understand his wants for relocating. Taking a step back and just not overthinking it or worrying about it. When the time comes we will find the right place and home (I hope).

Old 08-23-2017, 05:47 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,743 times
I'm currently watching the videos of "Graham the Hobotraveller" and I find he is giving terrific advices to people who like me want to snowbird or expatriate themselves when they retire (for me it's getting "dangerously " close, 2018):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xypUMxjSsxM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement