Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 03:37 PM

3,573 posts, read 4,487,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vttosta View Post
I just saw this post on the Jacksonville forum. Unfortunately Robyn passed away earlier this month.
//www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...rrerid=1396566
She was so informative. She'll be missed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 03:43 PM

31,672 posts, read 40,912,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Robyn and I had exchanged emails many times and she knew where I lived. I was hoping to explore her area some day and meet her.

I thought she was amazing. I'm sorry for her husband and for her father.
Yes, prayers and concerns for her father who is obviously older and has his own set of challenges. There are a lot of retirement lessons in Robins life and many of us understand them from her many contributions here.

Old 08-25-2017, 03:44 PM

4,522 posts, read 3,717,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borninsac View Post
It's plain and simple. The member who is about to check out shares it on the discussion forum or with a few members who they're closest to with instructions about sharing. I've participated in fitness discussion forums where this was the case but it's rare with my experience.

Now, would I do that? There are some fitness discussion forums where I have been held in similar esteem as Robin was here. I might check in and let them know I'm checking out.
On another tightknit forum I frequent, a 46 year old member had been diagnosed with colon cancer. She was upbeat and hopeful with two little boys and was working throughout her treatments.. I think the saddest post I have ever read was when she wrote "I don't know how to say this, but I'm not going to make it". She was admitted to hospice that afternoon and died within the week.

I had met her in real life along with her mother. She picked me up at an airport local to her when I flew in to go to a sheep and wool festival. She was a happy, fulfilled person and her posts reflected that. After she died, we made a contact chain, but the group has grown with people coming and going, four years have passed and memories are short. We haven't kept up with the contact chain.

Old 08-25-2017, 04:47 PM

5,945 posts, read 5,086,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
On another tightknit forum I frequent, a 46 year old member had been diagnosed with colon cancer. She was upbeat and hopeful with two little boys and was working throughout her treatments.. I think the saddest post I have ever read was when she wrote "I don't know how to say this, but I'm not going to make it". She was admitted to hospice that afternoon and died within the week.

I had met her in real life along with her mother. She picked me up at an airport local to her when I flew in to go to a sheep and wool festival. She was a happy, fulfilled person and her posts reflected that. After she died, we made a contact chain, but the group has grown with people coming and going, four years have passed and memories are short. We haven't kept up with the contact chain.

Very sorry to read about your friend's passing, even tho 4 years have gone by. I have lost a few friends in the last 3 years and I know the pain is still there.

We can have good intentions of keeping in touch with people but as I have learned over the years, it is just impossible to keep it up. Some of us get real busy with their lives, kids, grandkids, etc. while others, like me, are alone with no family to keep up with. I've lost a few friends due to their lack of time to get together. For me it's a lonely time, but I know I have to pull out of it or I would be sunk.

As I've seen written by some others, it's just life.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:41 PM

104 posts, read 121,640 times
Robny's husband has posted a reply on the Jacksonville forum with his email address if anyone wishes to message him.

Old 08-28-2017, 04:38 PM

105,824 posts, read 107,799,717 times
i contacted her husband so we all don't ask what happened . he said i should pass it on .
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for contacting me.

Robyn was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer on December 20, 2016. She had been having back pain. A CT to work that up revealed the tumors. Later they diagnosed a brain metastasis. She had radiation therapy for the brain tumor and chemotherapy for the other tumors.

She died at home on August 2, 2017.

This is a link to her obituary:

Robyn Greene Obituary - Miami, FL | the Miami Herald

Please spread the word to all who may be interested.

Old 08-28-2017, 04:58 PM

6,554 posts, read 7,008,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i contacted her husband so we all don't ask what happened . he said i should pass it on .
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for contacting me.

Robyn was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer on December 20, 2016. She had been having back pain. A CT to work that up revealed the tumors. Later they diagnosed a brain metastasis. She had radiation therapy for the brain tumor and chemotherapy for the other tumors.

She died at home on August 2, 2017.

This is a link to her obituary:

Robyn Greene Obituary - Miami, FL | the Miami Herald

Please spread the word to all who may be interested.
thank you MJ

Old 08-28-2017, 05:32 PM

5,945 posts, read 5,086,474 times
Thank you mathjak.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:24 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,045,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borninsac View Post
It's plain and simple. The member who is about to check out shares it on the discussion forum or with a few members who they're closest to with instructions about sharing. I've participated in fitness discussion forums where this was the case but it's rare with my experience.

Now, would I do that? There are some fitness discussion forums where I have been held in similar esteem as Robin was here. I might check in and let them know I'm checking out.
For many, if they wait until they find out their "checkout time" is imminent, it might be too late for them to log into CD. Or they might just get busy tying to survive, leaving CD on the bottom of a list of priorities.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:04 PM

10,586 posts, read 12,009,720 times
I never met Robyn and didn't know her personally, or at all I guess you should say.
But I loved seeing her posts here, and reading them.

It's a funny thing about the human condition we call "life"....how can you feel so sad about the loss of a person you never met -- except through posts online.

Reading that she just got the news about the Stage 4 diagnosis just in December makes me so sad.

Growing up I always heard the phrase, "No day is promised to anyone." My mom wound expound: Life is short, and can end at anytime. So try to live with as few regrets as possible. If there's someone you want to call -- CALL THEM. If there's some place you want to go: GO. Something you want/need to say to someone: SAY it. A gift you bought for someone in July to hold for December...GIVE it now. Because neither one of you may be here tomorrow -- let alone 5 months from now. That way there doesn't need to be any wailing and "climbing in the casket."

I hate the feeling of loss that comes with missing a loved one. But if they lived a full life and I concentrate on the joy and memories they leave me with...I contemplate it all, and feel sad, happy, consoled and buoyed all at the same time.

That's how I'm feeling now about a person I never even met. Robyn, you'll be missed here. Thanks for the smiles you've left me with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement