Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 09:11 AM

588 posts, read 463,316 times

Advertisements

I met a retired man who is a widower. He is 70 years of age. He's interested.

He had a high paying job and just quit work a couple of years ago.

I am 61 soon to turn 62 and he knows my true age.

Do you think this is too much of an age difference and this is where it gets touchy

I am afraid that I will become his caretaker if this continues. I understand that caring for someone that you have had a long life is a noble thing and one that I would expect from either spouse.

But since I do not plan to remarry and I do not need his bank balance I see no reason to remarry.

Romance, yes. Companionship, yes.

I just have this little niggling thought in the back of my mind and it bothers me. If he were closer to my own age, not so much.

Am I being overly concerned?

He appears quite healthy.

And I apologize to anyone that would be offended by my concerns.

[mod note] For those new to this thread, before responding, please read post #91 where TMKSarah explains her course of action moving forward. Thank you.
//www.city-data.com/forum/48343148-post91.html [/mod note]

Last edited by volosong; 06-02-2017 at 10:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 09:18 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,554,277 times
You never know what the future holds. He could die at 90 suddenly after years of good health, you at 80. May the Lord forbid it, but what if you developed a condition and he was your caretaker? I've seen many healthy 90 year olds.

Don't let fear keep you from happiness. And no offense taken!

Old 05-30-2017, 09:23 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times
Be a mature adult. Discuss this with him and see if he already has a plan for his healthcare and possible caretaking needs. If his answers aren't satisfactory to you, move on. Don't walk into a bad situation.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:24 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,281,745 times
My roommate will be 72 this year. I am 56. He doesn't even look close to 65. In good health, takes care of himself, not overweight. He did have a bout of cancer, but that is clear.

But I've known him for over 20 years, so I don't know if I would do that now. I would think someone closer to my age would be his replacement - if that is a good term to use - lol - so I can see your concern.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:26 AM

11,138 posts, read 9,773,353 times
You said he's interested, I would assume in dating. If you are cool with that, I say go for it. As far as becoming his caretaker, you can just say "no" to marriage if that's your concern. You can date, be a couple, whatever. If it doesn't work out you can both walk away without any encumbrances. Who knows, he might be someone special that you would hate to have missed knowing. He may not be into marriage either, but companionship and the fun of a partner is a good thing at any age.

I will tell you that if something happened to my DH. I wouldn't remarry at this point either. I wouldn't want my finances to become entangled with anyone else's going forward. I also wouldn't want to worry that his kids are going to think I'll "steal" their inheritance.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:28 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMKSarah View Post
I met a retired man who is a widower. He is 70 years of age. He's interested.

He had a high paying job and just quit work a couple of years ago.

I am 61 soon to turn 62 and he knows my true age.

Do you think this is too much of an age difference and this is where it gets touchy

I am afraid that I will become his caretaker if this continues. I understand that caring for someone that you have had a long life is a noble thing and one that I would expect from either spouse.

But since I do not plan to remarry and I do not need his bank balance I see no reason to remarry.

Romance, yes. Companionship, yes.

I just have this little niggling thought in the back of my mind and it bothers me. If he were closer to my own age, not so much.

Am I being overly concerned?

He appears quite healthy.

And I apologize to anyone that would be offended by my concerns.
Do not get married or move in together and do not be any part of his will, executor, etc. let him designate his family to do all of that.
That gives you both freedom from the other's financial obligations/issues, legal obligations/issues, etc.
Enjoy the time you have together.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:30 AM

331 posts, read 315,905 times
If you are almost 62 and he is a healthy 70, your concern strikes me as at least odd. Are you envisioning a 5- or 10-year "romance," whereupon you bail out when he needs a caretaker? Or a much shorter fling that will be nipped in the bud the moment he shows any physical decline? Perhaps if you both had complete physicals, he might be concerned about becoming your caretaker. When you're 62, there are no guarantees - I'm 67, and my health is far better than the vast majority of 62-year-olds. I don't mean to be unduly harsh, but I'd wager that if you were honest with him, he'd say adios. I certainly would. For that matter, you don't have to give him any reason. Just tell him very firmly that you're interested in casual dating and friendship and nothing more, so he will have no expectations and can hook up with someone willing to become more serious if she comes along. If he's a healthy 70 with a large bank account, he will have all the women he wants. It sounds to me like what you really want is to hedge your bets - essentially take advantage of him.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:46 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglodyte74 View Post
If you are almost 62 and he is a healthy 70, your concern strikes me as at least odd. Are you envisioning a 5- or 10-year "romance," whereupon you bail out when he needs a caretaker? Or a much shorter fling that will be nipped in the bud the moment he shows any physical decline? Perhaps if you both had complete physicals, he might be concerned about becoming your caretaker. When you're 62, there are no guarantees - I'm 67, and my health is far better than the vast majority of 62-year-olds. I don't mean to be unduly harsh, but I'd wager that if you were honest with him, he'd say adios. I certainly would. For that matter, you don't have to give him any reason. Just tell him very firmly that you're interested in casual dating and friendship and nothing more, so he will have no expectations and can hook up with someone willing to become more serious if she comes along. If he's a healthy 70 with a large bank account, he will have all the women he wants. It sounds to me like what you really want is to hedge your bets - essentially take advantage of him.
You may not have meant to be unduly harsh but your comments -- especially the last sentence -- came across as unkind.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:50 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,116,996 times
Since you seem concerned about a few years difference in age, it seems you don't seem to have much emotional commitment. Perhaps you should keep it that way.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:55 AM

588 posts, read 463,316 times
I really doubt I could take advantage of him. He is quite the pistol. And my days of being a gold digger are way over since I already have my own gold so to speak.

As far as Trog being unkind, well, I must have hit a nerve. I did say this is a touchy subject!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement