Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 03:51 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Not judging, but ....
hyuk hyuk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 03:39 PM

586 posts, read 314,290 times
Yes. Only one scrip, Atorvastatin Calcium (Lipitor). Balance consists of a baby aspirin, fish oil, and a multi-vitamin.

Old 09-02-2017, 04:40 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
With pharma you are stuck. A lot of supplements are available as "Isotonix". which is a powder that you mix with a little water. They specifically extol their ready absorption in this form. Multivitamins, Calcium, magnesium, Vitamin D, red wine extract are a few of my favorite things this way. Search for them online. You can take them individually or mix the powders for your daily dose.
I have been buying the suppliments I use on amazon with good luck. As nobody will cover them and the price is good its a bonus. My problem with absorbtion is that so much of what's supposed to be there is gone. That trans area between the large and small intestine is one of the prime places where you absorb and that is gone too. So I take a big dose with some like the B12 since even the sublingual may not all do anything.

I don't get why when I explain this to doctors their eyes glaze over and you can tell they don't get it. A good reason to avoid them unless needed, and find another one if they don't listen.

The B12 I take is a small red pill with no shiny coating. Its a sublingual. You put it under the toung and let it dissolve, and its absorbed directly into the blood. A few times I've run out and can feel the lack of them and the sudden jump in energy and focus when I start again. I don't absorb this sort of thing well from food. Don't ever get severe colitus... it keeps on giving even when its supposedly 'fixed'.

Mostly I avoid anything with shiny covers. They are designed to swallow and break down in the stomach. Me, they don't get the chance. I can usually tell the difference right away with most of them. I also take them with water.

I did a bunch of searching for the sort which actually are absorbable for me. With B12 the alternative would be an injection at the doctor, and aside from feeling like you could move mountains, its a pain to have to go to the doctor for a five minute visit.

I use Centrum Silver vitamins which are chewable too. If only someone would make a treat with the flavor, its this very light fruit taste. I have clearly noticed a difference since I started taking these and when I run out since they are chewed.

I know you hear people saying that vitamins and suplipments are mostly pr, but since I went to treating my tiredness and lingering bp symptoms with them, EVERYTHING has changed on both fronts and not only do I have much more calm and energy, but overall I feel much much better. The most dramatic effect was the magnesium and D3 which virtually eliminated the lingering dark cloud that comes at times, without any of the bad side effects of drugs, but its hardly a surprise given that D3 and magnesium are the substances your system uses for mood control.

I've got to find a doctor here, going onto medicare, and understanding that I've been doing okay with what I'm doing and not going to change is going to be interesting.

Last edited by nightbird47; 09-02-2017 at 04:51 PM..

Old 09-02-2017, 06:00 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I have been buying the suppliments I use on amazon with good luck.<>
Sounds like you are well up on the need for supplements. Doctors mostly aren't.
The shiny coating and fillers listed as inert ingredients are there to preserve the shape of the pills. The powder form avoids the issue altogether.
The only caution I'd relate is, considering the recent imbroglio over certifications for ISO standards on Eclipse Glasses, I would hesitate to consume something from any internet site where counterfeiting is common.
If you can't find what you want at the retail level, seek out a registered distributor.

Old 09-02-2017, 07:44 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,786,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Ingenious. Do you really need "child proof" lids? Your pharmacist can provide easy open lids if appropriate.
Didn't read through the whole thread but if your turn the pill bottle cap over it becomes a normal screw-top. One side is child-protective, the other side a normal screw-top.

Old 09-02-2017, 11:43 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

Maybe they're taking supplements.

Also, why would it annoy you that something exists to make life easier for those who might need such an organizer for prescribed maintenance drugs?

Yeesh.
Because some people who are not yet older have a derisive attitude toward older age and older people, and consider older age an anathema. Particularly in the U.S., some people deride and ridicule older people.

And in a youth-oriented culture, younger people sometimes find anything that is not youthful to be sad or considered deficient.

Old 09-03-2017, 03:17 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Because some people who are not yet older have a derisive attitude toward older age and older people, and consider older age an anathema. Particularly in the U.S., some people deride and ridicule older people.

And in a youth-oriented culture, younger people sometimes find anything that is not youthful to be sad or considered deficient.
Back when I was in my late teens and early twenties, and had a bad auto immune condition, I had one of those, and it was full. It took two of them at one point. It was absolutely necessary I took all the crap, so if the cubby was empty, I took it. And I know people who in their 'younger days' were taking supliments and vitamins beyond a one a day.

I don't think its so much sad or deficient they feel, but cover. When your fifteen, sixteen is an age away. When you're 20, the worlds opening up for you, and its supposed to be your time to start making that mark in the world. And often grandparents are now elderly and have changed things in their life. And when your full of dreams and yet haven't achieved any of them, there's this little fear too. What if you can't? What do you do when this current run doesn't take the same road you firmly believe it will? What do you do then?

Those little pill dispensers come to stand for the end of something and the beginning of another age, and if you love that life is in your hands and your revelling in the journey, that little bit of fear becomes real.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:04 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
I'd think my life is over if I need to pop several pills every day.
Are you kidding? It's a great conversation starter. Just look at this thread.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 10-01-2017 at 06:17 PM..

Old 10-01-2017, 06:34 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,256,609 times
Quote:
Not judging, but is needing to pop so many pills you have those full week containers for every day very common for older folks? I saw someone pull one out and I just think it would be awful for several reasons:

1. I hate having to take pills at all, not just due to the inconvenience but I am always paranoid that they'll give bad side effects or cause some bizarre bad reaction.
2. I have a huge trouble swallowing pills, sad I know but I have choked on pills several times and it really bothers me.
3. You probably have a ton of health issues.

Granted, this woman looked to be in her 60s-70s but still. I'd think my life is over if I need to pop several pills every day. Is it common for older folks?
When I was younger I used to be criticical of older people and all of their prescriptions. Now that I'm older and a bit wiser, I understand there are worse things than taking medicines. I still don't like taking meds, but considering the alternative I can deal with it.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:52 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,195,051 times
Quote:
Not judging, but is needing to pop so many pills you have those full week containers for every day very common for older folks? I saw someone pull one out and I just think it would be awful for several reasons:

1. I hate having to take pills at all, not just due to the inconvenience but I am always paranoid that they'll give bad side effects or cause some bizarre bad reaction.
2. I have a huge trouble swallowing pills, sad I know but I have choked on pills several times and it really bothers me.
3. You probably have a ton of health issues.

Granted, this woman looked to be in her 60s-70s but still. I'd think my life is over if I need to pop several pills every day. Is it common for older folks?

Not sure it's common for older folks but I've seen a lot of younger people use them too for a variety reasons, for themselves, their pets or their children .

Not sure why you think it's awful but it seems your projecting your own fears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement