Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 11:43 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Not judging, but is needing to pop so many pills you have those full week containers for every day very common for older folks? I saw someone pull one out and I just think it would be awful for several reasons:

1. I hate having to take pills at all, not just due to the inconvenience but I am always paranoid that they'll give bad side effects or cause some bizarre bad reaction.
2. I have a huge trouble swallowing pills, sad I know but I have choked on pills several times and it really bothers me.
3. You probably have a ton of health issues.

Granted, this woman looked to be in her 60s-70s but still. I'd think my life is over if I need to pop several pills every day. Is it common for older folks?
I'm not old, but I have not only one, but two of these locking pill containers. One is for AM/PM meds, and the other is for bedtime meds. I have neurological problems. Taking medication doesn't mean your life is over. On the contrary, it means you are alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 12:56 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,344,486 times
Could be a sign of a well organized person.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:20 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
These little boxes are good reminders. No one no matter what age can keep everything in their heads. That's what Siri, Cortina and Alexia are for. Young people use those devices as reminders. Maybe some young people even use them to remind themselves to take their meds.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:56 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,133,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Not judging, but is needing to pop so many pills you have those full week containers for every day very common for older folks? I saw someone pull one out and I just think it would be awful for several reasons:

1. I hate having to take pills at all, not just due to the inconvenience but I am always paranoid that they'll give bad side effects or cause some bizarre bad reaction.
2. I have a huge trouble swallowing pills, sad I know but I have choked on pills several times and it really bothers me.
3. You probably have a ton of health issues.

Granted, this woman looked to be in her 60s-70s but still. I'd think my life is over if I need to pop several pills every day. Is it common for older folks?
I have a ton of medical issues and I take at least 15 pills a day. I have two Sunday/Saturday boxes with morning, noon, evening, and bedtime divisions.

I also learned a secret to taking pills without choking on them and I can now take a handful at a time, without choking.

It is simply a matter of drinking water and paying attention to what your mouth and throat do while you are just naturally drinking. Once you learn how to replicate that learn to do it with a pill or pills in your mouth if you are doing it right. After all think of the size of pieces of food that you swallow without any trouble, a bunch of pills is no different.

Old 08-27-2017, 03:01 PM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
I consider myself a judgmental person (working on that ) but there has been an odd influx of people popping in to forums and declaring (stairs, pill boxes, etc.) "sad".

I find the psychology of a person who does that very odd. That would be like going to the Auto section and declaring that people who do not drive a standard as "sad" because the do not have the skills or energy or whatever.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-27-2017, 03:12 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
<>I also learned a secret to taking pills without choking on them and I can now take a handful at a time, without choking.
It is simply a matter of drinking water and paying attention to what your mouth and throat do while you are just naturally drinking.<>
My Dad had to be trained to swallow pills in rehab. Exactly as you say, take your time and pay attention.
If some of your pills are OTC supplements, search and see if any of them are available as isotonix. That's a powder to be mixed with water and is easier to deal with.

Old 08-27-2017, 03:58 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,700,099 times
I have one and fill it up weekly with vitamins and supplements. When I travel I these little pill baggies that I got at Walgreens - about 100 for $3.

Old 08-27-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I consider myself a judgmental person (working on that ) but there has been an odd influx of people popping in to forums and declaring (stairs, pill boxes, etc.) "sad".

I find the psychology of a person who does that very odd. That would be like going to the Auto section and declaring that people who do not drive a standard as "sad" because the do not have the skills or energy or whatever.
I think somehow it makes them feel better about themselves. Or superior to others. As in "I'm better than you because you do (don't do) "X" and I do (don't)."

But it's a very odd attitude and it doesn't impress anyone else. I think most people respond like this:

Old 08-27-2017, 05:56 PM

689 posts, read 973,726 times
I take zero meds but 8 different supplements as part of my basic preventative health regimen. Many of these supplements require more than one dose/day so the pill container comes in very handy.

What's up with these Millennial OPs hanging out on the retirement forum? Is 30 the new 60 or something? And if you really want to learn from us oldsters - learn to swallow a darn pill

Old 08-27-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaylaM View Post
I take zero meds but 8 different supplements as part of my basic preventative health regimen. Many of these supplements require more than one dose/day so the pill container comes in very handy.

What's up with these Millennial OPs hanging out on the retirement forum? Is 30 the new 60 or something? And if you really want to learn from us oldsters - learn to swallow a darn pill

Sometimes they can be pretty amusing. Like being bothered by a little pill box. I guess when one gets older things like that just don't seem to be all that important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement