Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 08:32 PM

3,156 posts, read 2,283,663 times

Advertisements

I did a good job of planning finance wise. I did a terrible job of planning what to do with my life after retirement. After almost one year into it, I feel like a fish out of water. My advice to anyone considering retirement would be to have a solid plan for how you will spend all of your time. Sitting poolside gets old real quick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 09:07 PM

387 posts, read 517,855 times
A lot of good responses. If able you should try to save all you can years ahead. Once you retire your fixed income, pension, or SS will cause a slight shock. I cut back spending, downsized, did everything I knew that was necessary. It's not what you make, it's what's you spend.I think many have to realize it's a phase of life that requires change. Very doable, the pluses outweigh the negative if you stay active, positive, & aware that the change is normal. Good luck....

Old 08-29-2017, 09:31 PM

226 posts, read 215,839 times
Because my father's side of the family tends to die young (40s and 50s) I have always planned on retiring at 50 just to have a few years off before I drop. I was financially prepared for it, but what I didn't expect was that my husband would develop Parkinson's and Lewy Body Dementia. That certainly changed our plans. It is hard to take him to the grocery store so I sure as heck am not going to take him to Italy. The funny thing is that I have been a 24/7 caregiver to him for years now and I really don't mind it. I don't think about the things we can't do.

So, now I am 59 and I'm not dead, so I must take after my mom's side which lives into their 90's. All I can say is I hope the money lasts.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:23 AM

1,670 posts, read 1,497,541 times
One supprise. With the latest contract, My company health care, spousal, coverage is reimbursing us for the cost of her company heath care coverage. They are paying us back for her own coverage, more than I am paying in to cover both of us.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:43 AM

18,746 posts, read 33,492,681 times
I am eager to be able to answer OP's questions. Blastoff date, this coming Jan. 27 for retirement, then end of April for move to small town Colorado and new little dream house with my mutts.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:07 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,557,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
I did a good job of planning finance wise. I did a terrible job of planning what to do with my life after retirement. After almost one year into it, I feel like a fish out of water. My advice to anyone considering retirement would be to have a solid plan for how you will spend all of your time. Sitting poolside gets old real quick.
Physical fitness activities has become a major activity for me in early retirement. I'm not sure how long I can continue but hopefully the ailments from aging will be held off.

I have a stack of books I've always wanted to read and old movies on DVD that are waiting for that day to come (when I can't do fitness stuff).

And there's always travel around our country (have a small travel trailer for that).

Finally, if and when the time comes, volunteering around the community will always be there.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:16 AM

314 posts, read 239,147 times
Default ...it could happen to anyone...

A good friend of mine retired January of 2014. We talk weekly by telephone and I visit him about every other month. It took me awhile to notice, but it is clear to me my friend is bored. Only now is he beginning to realize the same, but as I mentioned in an earlier post, he does not admit to things [to himself].
Understand, the most real things to him are on the 'internet.
I myself have not been bored since I was ten years old. To include pulling guard duty as a young soldier. I have always had interests and things to do........But looking at my friend, I know things could be different, especially in retirement. Because of that, I am looking to have a part time job (three days a week) when I retire the end of this year. It will also allow me to forego drawing from my Thrift Savings.
Of all the people I know (in the real world, not the 'internet - and I do value you City-Data members), my friend was the last person I thought would get bored, in or out of retirement.
So now I have a new part in my retirement plans.
Good thread, OP.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:51 AM

6,791 posts, read 3,404,817 times
I took early retirement at age 62 1/2 last December. The only planning I did was make sure I had enough money coming in. Being retired is way better than I ever thought it would be and I enjoy every minute of it. I had a good career in the legal profession but I don't miss it, not even for a second.

I don't need a job for any kind of validation. Only a good golf game.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:55 AM

314 posts, read 201,479 times
My plan for retirement was to pad my pension with overtime throughout my 25 year Civil Service career, so I could continue to live in the manner that I had become accustomed to during those years. I achieved this, and was able to walk out the door at 46 y/o, with no concerns/regrets.

Retirement has been a lot less boring than I had anticipated.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:06 AM

13,068 posts, read 18,226,269 times
Our biggest complaint about retirement is that while working you always were aware of the date. I would see it across the top every newspaper and had to date things. Now I have to consult the phone to be able to get the date and I often forget to look. I still have a very good memory, so I do check the calendar on the phone every Sunday to see what I have to do during the week and then again here and there. Generally once a week does it but that does not help me at all with the date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement