Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 12:08 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,348,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I know, right? Why expose your dog to others who aren't raised right?
You've got it, gentlearts. Make positively NO DIFFERENCE that since WWII the show world has been breeding nothing but LOVE BUGS WITH BRAINS. Now while I always rescue my other breeds and mixes (currently have a rescued Collie), my Dobies come from ultra-responsible show lines, accustomed to handling, strangers, traveling, training and other dogs. Makes no difference to these ignorant home associations. As for me, the only canine which I was ever bitten by was a chihuahua - go figure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 04:51 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
[/b][/b]

Really? They don't live forever you know. And what about Medical, for you. Activities for you? What about taxes, insurance (like flood insurance), terrain, cost of living, accessibility to transportation like airports, churches, etc etc. So many other issues to research besides dog friendliness, I think. Dog parks are everywhere these days. JMHO
Check, check and check!
We have exceptional health care here...Duke and UNC. No worries about floods, we're 2 hrs from the coast. RDU International airport, direct flights to London, Paris etc.

The triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) is really a great place to live and we've really enjoyed living here.
That being said, we've been here for 10 years, originally from New England, and we will be moving to the NC coast in about 18 mos when we retire. While we've loved living here, we miss the beach terribly. No family to keep us here.

Old 09-02-2017, 12:06 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
[/b][/b]

Really? They don't live forever you know. And what about Medical, for you. Activities for you? What about taxes, insurance (like flood insurance), terrain, cost of living, accessibility to transportation like airports, churches, etc etc. So many other issues to research besides dog friendliness, I think. Dog parks are everywhere these days. JMHO
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Check, check and check!
We have exceptional health care here...Duke and UNC. No worries about floods, we're 2 hrs from the coast. RDU International airport, direct flights to London, Paris etc.

The triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) is really a great place to live and we've really enjoyed living here.
That being said, we've been here for 10 years, originally from New England, and we will be moving to the NC coast in about 18 mos when we retire. While we've loved living here, we miss the beach terribly. No family to keep us here.
This thread is about dog-friendly areas. Why do some posters attack us for discussing this or try to hijack the thread to discuss hospitals and airline service? My dog and my other pets are my primary concern because they're my family. I spend several hours each day taking my elderly dog for leashless walks or just sitting with her on my own property. I have never once wished that I were on a trip instead. However, there have been many times when I was on a trip that I've thought about my pets and wanted to get home to them.

Time with my family beats time away from them.

Old 09-02-2017, 04:52 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
So I am the original poster, and just wanted to check back in and thank everyone who made some specific suggestions of dog friendly places. I was surprised that there are some communities that actually might have either large dog parks within or nearby. If there are a few as mentioned here, then maybe there are more! Many dog owners are good about socializing their dogs and teaching them to come when called, which does take a bit of effort, but pays off when dogs are allowed to run off-leash. I just wish there were more places where this was allowed, and that perhaps there even could be a 'certification' so that adult dogs with this basic training could be allowed more public privileges.

The problem in seeking out such places is that there is no organized way to do so. Bringfido is a good website for showing public dog parks, but some of those turn out to be leashed-only and you need to search city by city. (Wish there was a big database like city-data that was searchable for high-rated off-leash dog parks throughout the country as well as all those other senior friendly things we are looking for.) And for those of you wondering what's the big deal about wanting a place for your dog to be happy, people who love their dogs, and want them to be happy, are usually the kind of people I want to live among.

Old 09-02-2017, 06:11 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,080,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
my Dobies come from ultra-responsible show lines, accustomed to handling, strangers, traveling, training and other dogs.
Up until the death of my last golden retriever 8 years ago I owned goldens for 20 years, showed 2 in conformation, was an active member of the national and local breed club and local golden rescue where I volunteered doing home visits for prospective adopters. The worst temperament dogs of all breeds I ever encountered and the worst dog fights I have ever seen were in and around the conformation ring and that includes Westminster. But of course none of that would ever be televised as it would tarnish the reputation of the AKC!!!

These professional show dogs are not bred as pet companions, they are bred for their overall looks which is dictated by their particular breed standard so they can gain accolades in the show ring and go on to produce puppies or stud fees that command big $$$. Sadly health and temperament ranks last on the list for breeding considerations. My two beautiful conformation bred male goldens fortunately had good temperaments, but both by age two had severe hip dysplasia and both died by age 6 of two different kinds of genetically linked cancers.

When I gave up conformation showing which I did for fun alone after my last male developed hip dysplasia I wanted to add a 2nd female golden puppy to the family as a companion for my male. I searched high and low to find a breeder who was doing outcross breedings to improve their line health because most all these conformation breedings are so close genetically linked with the aim is to double up on the beauty genes but in doing this they also double up on the genetically linked disease genes which my two males suffered the consequences of. I was very fortunate that my female had no closely liked relatives for 5 generations back, and although she did not have the conformational beauty of my males she had the health including OFA excellent rated hips and the most wonderful temperament. Sadly I lost her at age 10 from a stroke which may seem young, but having her 4 more years than my males I consider myself very lucky because the days of goldens living 12-15 years are long over.

Having been active in the purebred dog and dog show world for several years although my concentration of interest and involvement was more with rescue, I did at that time have friends that were conformation breeders. On the rare occasion that I had a opportunity to visit several of their kennels at first glance upon entering would see all the dog show ribbons hung on the walls which was an impressive sight. But that feeling would fade real fast when I would then see 10+ dogs each sequestered in their own cement floor chain linked enclosure starving for human contact and that sadly made me realize there is a very fine line between reputable breeder and puppy mill.

Although I highly doubt I will ever own another dog as my heart can't take loosing another, plus I doubt my 3 cats would enjoy having a dog around the house, if I did get another it would be a Heinz 57 from the local shelter or from some senior who could no longer care for or keep their dog.

Old 09-02-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
This thread is about dog-friendly areas. Why do some posters attack us for discussing this or try to hijack the thread to discuss hospitals and airline service? My dog and my other pets are my primary concern because they're my family. I spend several hours each day taking my elderly dog for leashless walks or just sitting with her on my own property. I have never once wished that I were on a trip instead. However, there have been many times when I was on a trip that I've thought about my pets and wanted to get home to them.

Time with my family beats time away from them.
AMEN!!! I'm currently checking out the www.bringfido.com website for canine-friendly hotels for when I visit S DE later this month.

Old 09-02-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
Up until the death of my last golden retriever 8 years ago I owned goldens for 20 years, showed 2 in conformation, was an active member of the national and local breed club and local golden rescue where I volunteered doing home visits for prospective adopters. The worst temperament dogs of all breeds I ever encountered and the worst dog fights I have ever seen were in and around the conformation ring and that includes Westminster. But of course none of that would ever be televised as it would tarnish the reputation of the AKC!!!

These professional show dogs are not bred as pet companions, they are bred for their overall looks which is dictated by their particular breed standard so they can gain accolades in the show ring and go on to produce puppies or stud fees that command big $$$. Sadly health and temperament ranks last on the list for breeding considerations. My two beautiful conformation bred male goldens fortunately had good temperaments, but both by age two had severe hip dysplasia and both died by age 6 of two different kinds of genetically linked cancers.
VERY interesting info, Nightengale (didn't want to quote the entire piece). I never had any interest in showing, but the breeders from whom I have been lucky enough to purchase a non-show "pet" were sticklers for continual screening on heart, wobbler's disease,ecause AND temperament because we continue to fight the stereotyping, and while I'm sure not all breeders give that much weight, those I know in SE PA and New Jersey certainly do. etc., and were certainly not money-makers as practically every dollar they had they would put right back into genetic testing. They do it for the love of the breed. I do understand skittish temperaments at shows as none of the dogs are spayed or nutuered, something I always take care of.

I, too, used to do home inspections for a local rescue organization
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement