Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 10:20 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times

Advertisements

I see where Consumer Reports Magazine's feature article on the cover is "Who Will Care For You?"

I haven't read it yet but I thought I would post this so anyone interested could look for a copy and see what it has to say since this is a topic of interest on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 10:33 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
This interesting article is available online: https://www.consumerreports.org/elde...-care-for-you/ -- The article focuses more on the rising cost and declining availability of ALF's and nursing homes in various areas.

When you first mentioned the title, I thought it sounded more like an article dealing with the growing caregiver dilemma. (ie; people living longer, declining health of both spouses, remotely located families and the fact that Medicare covers little or none of ALF or NH expenses).

In either case, the fact that retirees are living longer raises the likelihood of an increased need for ALF or NH facilities; with the cost of those facilities outpacing the financial resources of those who need them. One option is LTC Insurance, but, even that is costly and fraught with pitfalls. Thus, the question, "Who Will Care For You?" will become an ever-increasing concern among the elderly.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:33 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
I think the entire system has to have a good overhaul.

In my area, there are several nursing homes (do not know about Assisted Living places). Most of the NH facilities have been investigated, most recently the nursing home my sister lived in for 10 years before passing away 2 years ago.

Whoever is responsible for setting these places up had better take a wake up pill. You cannot expect to get good, responsible care when you only pay the caregivers minimum wage. Expect them to work double shifts? Give up their family time because they have to cover for another employee? Have you ever seen what these people have to do?? Some patients are totally unable to move themselves and weigh a lot; yes there are devices to help an aid/caregiver move the patient, but if they do that several times per day......... can you imagine what this is doing to the caregiver? How many have to go out on medical leave because their bodies are wrecked?

They need more help. Better equipment. Better paychecks. We want our old and/or disabled to be treated with compassion and respect, why aren't we treating their caregivers with more respect and money? Yes, I know, the politicians "need" more money..... how else could they afford their lovely homes, cars, vacations?

Remember that saying "you get what you pay for"?? This also applies in the workplace, too.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:44 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,505,394 times
I read the article today. It said much less than I expected, and was no help to me. It seemed to be promoting more regulation without giving any detail and not even suggestions. Sorta like DT's call for tax reform. (Maybe they exchanged notes on tactics?).

There are also important details they did not touch on: Home care; high employee turnover; National Chains vs Locally Owned. Those are just a few.

Old 09-01-2017, 11:58 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,350,549 times
I too think that CR could have titled it better, as it is misleading.

I do like seeing the heat map of the average costs in 2016 for an assisted living apartment in all states. Not useful, really, but a curiosity for me. I pulled out the 3 cheapest as (I'm rounding) Missouri ($30k), Oklahoma (33k), Georgia ($34k). The top 3 most expensive were Massachusetts ($65k), Alaska ($69k), and DC ($80k).

No surprises in where they fall I guess, but man, those politicians pay a lot in their dotage. I wonder if the care is actually better than in Missouri.

Old 09-02-2017, 04:46 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I think the entire system has to have a good overhaul.

In my area, there are several nursing homes (do not know about Assisted Living places). Most of the NH facilities have been investigated, most recently the nursing home my sister lived in for 10 years before passing away 2 years ago.

Whoever is responsible for setting these places up had better take a wake up pill. You cannot expect to get good, responsible care when you only pay the caregivers minimum wage. Expect them to work double shifts? Give up their family time because they have to cover for another employee? Have you ever seen what these people have to do?? Some patients are totally unable to move themselves and weigh a lot; yes there are devices to help an aid/caregiver move the patient, but if they do that several times per day......... can you imagine what this is doing to the caregiver? How many have to go out on medical leave because their bodies are wrecked?

They need more help. Better equipment. Better paychecks. We want our old and/or disabled to be treated with compassion and respect, why aren't we treating their caregivers with more respect and money? Yes, I know, the politicians "need" more money..... how else could they afford their lovely homes, cars, vacations?

Remember that saying "you get what you pay for"?? This also applies in the workplace, too.
I think you're missing the core issue: Medicaid payments to nursing homes. 62% of all nursing home beds are paid for by Medicaid. Even cutting staffing to the bone, nursing homes, at best, break even on Medicaid patients and most lose money.

Old 09-02-2017, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I think you're missing the core issue: Medicaid payments to nursing homes. 62% of all nursing home beds are paid for by Medicaid. Even cutting staffing to the bone, nursing homes, at best, break even on Medicaid patients and most lose money.
Do you have evidence to support this statement? Sounds more like typical PR from a trade group, just like the commonly seen claim that hospitals lose money on Medicare patients that private insurance/pay must cover. Neither makes economic sense (like the saying "we lose money on each sale but make it up in volume...").

Old 09-02-2017, 09:53 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,146,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Do you have evidence to support this statement? Sounds more like typical PR from a trade group, just like the commonly seen claim that hospitals lose money on Medicare patients that private insurance/pay must cover. Neither makes economic sense (like the saying "we lose money on each sale but make it up in volume...").
What Medicare pays to hospitals versus what Medicaid pays to nursing homes (for the destitute) is vastly different. That's why there are many nursing homes that do not even accept Medicaid.

Old 09-02-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
What Medicare pays to hospitals versus what Medicaid pays to nursing homes (for the destitute) is vastly different. That's why there are many nursing homes that do not even accept Medicaid.
No kidding. Still does not address the issue of claims of losing money, which are bogus IMHO.

BTW, it is not the difference in payment rates that leads nursing homes to not take medicaid patients. The nursing homes could care less about what hospitals are paid. The reason some don't take medicaid is all about the home's business model, together with an individual state's payment rate.

Old 09-02-2017, 11:42 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Interesting to read the comments. I still haven't had time to read it myself but I'm glad to hear everyone's opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement