Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 01:08 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clikrf8 View Post
RAIN. This has been the driest summer that I can remember. Our well is low and forest fires are consuming the west.

I do look forward to our fall camping trips and the fall foliage.
I think your rain took a wrong turn somewhere and wound up drenching us most of the summer. I can't recall a wetter summer than this one. In fact, all of our hotshot crews have been released to the lower 48.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 06:00 AM

30,526 posts, read 16,222,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post

But I thank everyone for their "Favorites" about Fall, so far I haven't seen any new ideas about Fall to do much to change my mind.

MAYBE some one will come up with something that will improve my depressing ideals about Fall....

There are only 3 things I like about Fall, apple cider, pumpkin pie ( which now that I'm diabetic is kind of off the list) and a slow roasted turkey.

Keep them coming!

The only one that can change your mind is you.

Try pumpkin butter. Not as sweet, actually no sugar added if made correctly. I think you'd be able to eat that.

Speaking of which: fall is also fresh apple time. Not stored over the winter. viva la difference.

cider, cider and doughnuts. pumpkin butter. zucchini, yellow squash, chestnuts, probably more food I can't think of at the moment.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:50 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Halves of acorn squash, baked with a pat of butter in the middle. Then lightly sweetened with a small spoon of real maple syrup.

I like to make spoonbread in the colder months, too.

Last edited by pikabike; 09-07-2017 at 08:08 AM..

Old 09-07-2017, 08:42 AM

723 posts, read 571,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Well THAT'S not good Is there any way you could hold out until most of them are down - and then perhaps hire someone? I recall when I was at my worst financially the assistant pastor at my church placed me, much to my embarrassment, on a list for the young people to do yard work outside. Those precious teens worked liked the devil (no pun intended), and I had to practically have a temper tantrum to force a nice lunch, drinks and tips on them at the end. I made certain when I purchased my current home that only TWO trees stood on the property - and I STILL bought the blower for them. I have to save what's left of my shoulders for frisbee with the current Doberman
My lot was heavily wooded when I bought the property in 2008, but since then the dreaded Emerald Ash Borer has killed all of our 40-year old trees. I miss the lovely trees, but I don't miss all that raking!

Our community maintains a list of willing folks, teenagers and adults alike, who are willing to rake leaves and shovel snow at no cost for the elderly or disabled. Because the school district encourages community service, and the HS National Honor Society membership application requires a certain number of community service hours, there is no shortage of able-bodied youngsters looking for this type of work.

P.S. I have owned Dobermans since 1991, although I don't now, and my dogs were always MAD for Frisbees - both chasing and catching! Your mention brought back a happy memory and a smile to my face.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:17 AM

723 posts, read 571,110 times
Default The Wool Gathering 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Summer is unofficially over.

So what's your favorite part of Fall?
I look forward to this amazing local fiber festival all year.

https://youngsdairy.com/wool-gathering/

This, and not sweating, are the two best things about fall.

Old 09-07-2017, 12:54 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
I like all of the seasons, and can appreciate not living in the same old same old. Fall means full moons and crisp nights walking the dogs with the leave is full color. I love the crunch under my feet. The flies are gone and so are the mosquitoes.

Halloween is my favorite holiday and it's our annual big party. ( A rep and a smile for you FeelinLow.) There's trips to the pop up Halloween stores, pumpkin farms, and the haunted houses with friends and shorties. I love cozy movie nights in front of our home theater on a chilly, rainy fall night watching a scary movie with the teenagers. We still have plenty of warm nights and I love riding my bike around town looking at all of the decorations. You might find me outside decorating the porch for Halloween. I love being outside on the few remaining balmy nights.

I almost forget taffy apples!!! By the time fall comes I'm tired of gardening and I'm happy that's over for awhile. It's a great feeling when the last tomato is peeled and put in the freezer. I have all of the flower beds and garden cleaned out, raked, and ready for a long sleep. Although it seems our frosts are coming later and later, and so are our fall colors.

I had a very chilly bike ride last night and it was around 52 degrees. It's unusual for it to be this chilly at this time of year. I so enjoyed the relief from the heat and humidity. Even the cicadas were quite. It stirred that anticipation of joy for fall, and a much needed change in scenery. All seasons are beautiful if you find a way to make them fun, but fall is special.

Old 09-07-2017, 01:43 PM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,030,551 times
Similar to everyone else, beautiful area in the Hudson Valley with lots of fall color, cooler weather - love walking the dog in this kind of weather. Don't have to worry about raking leaves because the fairly regular breeze makes that something for the orchard at the end of the road to think about. Love Halloween around here, lots of kids and my wife knows almost everyone of them from the school. My neighborhood also hosts a Jack O'lantern party each year.

Going back to the orchard I mentioned. There are actually 5 orchards (plus 2 Christmas tree farms) within a 5-10 mile radius - for those that mentioned apple cider we get it fresh from one of the places plus the cider donuts I need and must have. That same orchard also has a distillery. Try spicing up your cider with a shot of applejack added. Plus I just received a bottle of apple gin and vodka as a gift. (I rarely drink but it was something I wanted to try)

I'm also an avid photographer and HS sports is a big part of that so fall gets me out there doing my thing.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:41 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,888,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieKay56 View Post
When I was younger I loved fall. Now I hate it. I can't stand that the days are quickly getting shorter and the weather is cool. My favorite time of year is April-Early August. And this year our warmest day (Central Wisconsin) occurred on June 10th, where it was a whopping 88 degrees. I am glad I was Georgia this summer and it was in the 90s. I think we used our air conditioning for a total of 5 days this summer. I don't like that the Orioles and hummingbirds will soon leave, the grossbeaks have been gone for at least 2 weeks.
I love warm weather and long days of sun. This time of year is awful because of all the changes. Soon the woodburner will be running all day and the days keep getting shorter and shorter. Yuck!
EXACTLY! Southern Wisconsin here...did we EVER even see 90 this summer? I don't think we did. The ONLY thing to like about fall is Badgers and Packers football. That's it. Thank goodness this is our last winter here. Construction starts on our house in Florida May 1.
Sorry OP. Ellie and I didn't cheer you up much, did we.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:38 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times
I live in Texas and I enjoy deer hunting,shooting,camping,high school football,Halloween and the holidays during fall.I enjoy triple digits but i do enjoy cool fall weather too so i can spend more time walking outside but i dont like short days.I always dread winter.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:24 PM

6,588 posts, read 4,975,313 times
I would love the colors of fall, if I didn't hate winter so much. Instead it completely depresses me. Shorter days, can't get a good mix of clothes for long bike rides, damn school buses just about run me over.

Funny how someone mentioned the warm glow of the sun. I love photography and find the fall sun to be harsher with deeper shadows.

Springs have started so late here the past few years that we really only have summer that I like. This year summer also started late and although we did have heat, we had a lot of chilly mornings. I've been miserable. In summer, I love the sun that wakes me and makes me hop out of bed early. I love putting on shorts and a tank and going for a bike ride. I start sweaty and end sweaty. I love the long days and the energy I get from them. The warmer weather curbs my appetite which keeps my weight in check.

Hopefully when I move a few states south, winter will be more enjoyable for me and I'll like fall again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement