Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 03:04 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,350,727 times

Advertisements

Are you KIDDING?! It's my favorite season of the year - fresh-smelling and beautiful to behold. GONE are those dank, ultra-humid days with their sticky, gooey film over everything. I find it extremely ENERGIZING, as though I've awakened from a temperature-induced COMA, and I can now take longer walks with ease. No more mowing every week! The disappearance of most of the nastiest bugs, especially fleas and ticks!

Hey, I live on 20K a year, and I STILL purchased a leaf blower. Sacrifice something else, and save your back.

Late spring depresses ME since I know what follows are 3 months of living indoors with the AC cranked, and the only thing that saves my sanity is the garden I plant then. At least during the onslaught of the inevitable putrid air, I can look out the window and see the beautiful colors. Yeah...I do have to go outside to water them everyday, but I always drench MYSELF with the hose as well - which absolutely delights the neighborhood kids! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 03:14 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Are you KIDDING?!

Hey, I live on 20K a year, and I STILL purchased a leaf blower. Sacrifice something else, and save your back.
I have one, but when you have 13 VERY mature trees on a .24 acre lot, that's leaves leaves leaves ad nauseum.
Even trying to keep up with them means raking EVERY day, a chore we HATE.

That many leaves is really too much for the leaf blower.

Plus I'm disabled, try blowing or raking with a cane in tow.

Old 09-05-2017, 03:24 AM

983 posts, read 2,773,888 times
I am lucky to live in the mid Atlantic where there is a distinct change of seasons and FALL is my favorite! OMG, I just LOVE it. I love the way the sun sits lower in the sky and casts a warm glow over everything. I love the gorgeous colors and the colorful leaves falling like confetti. I love fall clothing and especially BOOTS. I love the smells and tastes of fall, like cinnamon, pumpkin, chai latte, etc. I love Halloween and the whole spooky vibe. I love sitting in front of a fireplace on a cold night or morning. I love that our cuddly cats become even more cuddly when they are angling to keep warm.

I love that we rent a condo and the leak raking is taken care of by someone else!

Old 09-05-2017, 03:25 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,350,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I have one, but when you have 13 VERY mature trees on a .24 acre lot, that's leaves leaves leaves ad nauseum.
Even trying to keep up with them means raking EVERY day, a chore we HATE.

That many leaves is really too much for the leaf blower.

Plus I'm disabled, try blowing or raking with a cane in tow.

Well THAT'S not good Is there any way you could hold out until most of them are down - and then perhaps hire someone? I recall when I was at my worst financially the assistant pastor at my church placed me, much to my embarrassment, on a list for the young people to do yard work outside. Those precious teens worked liked the devil (no pun intended), and I had to practically have a temper tantrum to force a nice lunch, drinks and tips on them at the end. I made certain when I purchased my current home that only TWO trees stood on the property - and I STILL bought the blower for them. I have to save what's left of my shoulders for frisbee with the current Doberman

Old 09-05-2017, 03:58 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
I'm a summer guy so I share the OP's thoughts. Fall colors are nice but it just leads to colder and colder weather by the day. I hate being cold when I get out of bed or putting on socks when I've spent the last 3 months in flip flops.

But I'm also a sports guy and the sports calendar is perfect. It's slow during the good weather of summer and then football and baseball playoffs start up in the fall.

Old 09-05-2017, 04:35 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times
"What do you look forward to in Fall?"

SPRING!!~!

sorry, but the beautiful leaves in the fall don't excite me. They just depress me because I know that the long cold winter is to follow.

Old 09-05-2017, 04:39 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,248,699 times
Hopefully, less smoke in the air.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:21 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
I love the feel, colors, and smells of fall! Since I'm not retired yet, I hate waking up while it's still dark - can't wait to be retired and get to wake up later with the sun.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:23 AM

371 posts, read 537,404 times
I live in Vermont, and fall is the BEST season! The foliage is incredible, the days are warm and the nights cool, bugs are gone, love the smell of burning leaves. Perfect weather for outdoor fun.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:44 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,077,767 times
I love everything about fall! Summer is horrible for me due to health. I feel like a new and different person when October rolls around. I exercise more and sleep better, and am generally happier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement