Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 02:57 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
No More Snow Please do not let those that are resisting your thoughts as being anything but honest get to you. I feel EXACTLY as you do and I am totally over myself never was NOT over myself. Nothing wrong with feeling this way. Sheese.

Not very nice of those that did to judge No More Snows feelings as anything else but just being her feelings. I no longer want another relationship with a man. Like No More snow I would love to go to lunch or just chat or a quick drop in visit once in awhile to share ideas but my man days are over and believe me I had a wonderful 31 year marriage very sexual and loving caring.

Unless you have walked in No More Snows shoes you have no right to judge. She said nothing at any one else and just stated HER feelings. Not apologizing for this rant either it really raised my hackles for these two comments I read. SOB if you disagree that much and keep your hurtful words to yourself. Why this world is going to hell in a hand basket so fast.
You actually believed there was sexual tension with every man you met? The only thing they thought about was getting you into bed? I'm with the other 2. Get over yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 03:44 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,571,179 times
Well, all this sex and flirting stuff is totally out of my realm of experience or concern and I cannot relate to it one iota, but she has a right to express her thoughts. No harm done.

Old 09-07-2017, 03:49 PM

7,129 posts, read 12,670,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
You actually believed there was sexual tension with every man you met? The only thing they thought about was getting you into bed? I'm with the other 2. Get over yourself.
I must gently disagree. There IS sexual tension between opposite genders (and not just opposite genders, depending on your orientation ) of a reproduction or single age/condition. It's all hormone and pheromones. Natural. Not necessarily about getting one or the other into bed...just a natural state of affairs.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:23 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,925,955 times
Quote:
No I do not believe that at all. At my age most men are not very sexually active. I believe the other two just got up in arms over one little comment and then it got me up in arms they made such cruel remarks to No More Snow as you are doing to me. Who are you to judge? Who am I to judge. Live and let live is my motto. but when I see some thing mean like this posted I will stick up for the person getting bullied.

Actually I do not give a crap what a man might think of me sexually or not. I have no more interest other than friendly chat. Not taking my wedding rings off either. I am not encouraging men in any way. I had a nice man help me load my almost 300 pounds of groceries and supplies into my car the other day and I smiled and thanked him for the help. I was sincere. I could not even tell you what he looked like except it was a man. Did I think he had an interest in me. I have no idea. Never gave it another thought until just now.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:06 PM

226 posts, read 214,795 times
Quote:
Sorry. I must have missed the part where she said that every man she met was thinking about getting her into bed.
I believe the point she was making was that when you are young and attractive that is often the case, but when you are older it is less likely and you can sit back and enjoy the conversation without worrying if anyone is "reading into it" for flirtatious clues. Why are so many of you jumping on her post?!

Old 09-08-2017, 02:24 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I think the older the get the more financially independent you become. Your savings have (theoretically) grown and you are close to if not already receiving SS. That alone will make people more content than the 35 year old father of 4 who has heard rumors that the plant may be closing.
I've had health problems much of my later life, and finally went on disability. I still feel too tired with the cause mostly known. It helps some, not enough. But I didn't work long enough to get beyond the basic amount of Social Security, and money is always tight.

I've come to terms with things, and I'm not resentful about the money being borderline. I do seem to find ways to manage. And I find things I like that don't take money. I still don't feel 'secure' butway better than I did.

I've come to think of things as something which does not rule my life. I know how important they are, having lost them before, but while I know about the hurt, I also know it ends, and your vision of the world around you have changed, and a different you may even know a bit more about about life as you have stared making peace with the journey.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:13 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I've had health problems much of my later life, and finally went on disability. I still feel too tired with the cause mostly known. It helps some, not enough. But I didn't work long enough to get beyond the basic amount of Social Security, and money is always tight.

I've come to terms with things, and I'm not resentful about the money being borderline. I do seem to find ways to manage. And I find things I like that don't take money. I still don't feel 'secure' butway better than I did.

I've come to think of things as something which does not rule my life. I know how important they are, having lost them before, but while I know about the hurt, I also know it ends, and your vision of the world around you have changed, and a different you may even know a bit more about about life as you have stared making peace with the journey.

I admire that you have been able to make peace with what is going on in your life. It does take time and work to accept a different lifestyle than what you might have had before now.

It took me what felt like forever to accept my situation. Never envisioned it as it is. I used to socialize with a lot of women who had a lot more money, nicer homes, etc. But things change, I realize there are plenty of people in my situation, some have more and some have less. But really what difference does it make.

There is no price on peace of mind.

Old 09-08-2017, 07:53 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,875,069 times
Default Of course there is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I must gently disagree. There IS sexual tension between opposite genders (and not just opposite genders, depending on your orientation ) of a reproduction or single age/condition. It's all hormone and pheromones. Natural. Not necessarily about getting one or the other into bed...just a natural state of affairs.
I would be hypocritical to deny that, it's a common sense observation. That's the reason why I feel happier now a 62 than when I was younger, particularly the teen years were for me (a male) a torture. Each time an attractive girl talked to me, howtrivial the situation (a barmaid asking for my order!) I became red as a tomato and couldn't utter a word. It took me a long time to overcome that pathological timidity.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:43 AM

997 posts, read 710,713 times
For those with financial stability and money coming in (like many C_D retirees); the future should indeed look rosy. For those whose retirements are not well funded, it can be a time of uncertainty. I think it depends on your health status , whether or not you are lonely, and if you have accepted what your financial future will be if you are struggling. A positive versus a negative outlook on the future.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:50 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I am one of them, totally happy and never been happier.

People Over 60 More Content In Life Than All Other Adults, Survey Finds
Do I need to read four pages of replies so far? Let's see, I'm 49 at this writing:

1) Retired or with it in absolute sight by 60: undoubtedly. Former boss just retired at 57, she's itchy trying to redefine herself and her relationship as the (former) big bux executive earner w/her husband, but will adjust just fine.

2) Type A personality, but they say peak earnings years are done at some point in fifties. Yeah, looking at my peers I believe it. That former boss and I were both ball-busters, she must have hit the eject button when right at that vertex for just a couple years, and deciding...beyond that, ain't never gonna get better, so time to get-gone.

Soooo....by 60, you know when you'll retire and are socking away everything you've got. Your spare time is about planning for that, which varies for each person and couple.

If you're like my dad or couple friends i can think of that age, you've come to terms with "this is as far as I made it in the corporate world, and no farther, and....now, I'm OK with that because it's done."

I intend to rise two or three more clicks, and may never rise higher. Considering the money, I could give a **** if I rise *NO* further than now, just keep this cash-cow milking for ten more years and I am O...U...T baby w/paid off million-something real estate asset and fat portfolio.

Oh yeah, I'm going riding when I retire, after 60, and won't be coming home. There won't be a home that first fall, I'll be camping and living out of a rental RV to see if full-timing is for me.

Sounds like an age of: acceptance of what is, minimal regrets on what was, looking forward to what will be for another ten years or so...then it's yet another chapter.

I turn 50 in a bit more than a month, another interesting milestone that I'm really struggling with a bit. Yep, ten more years of "struggle" and...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement