Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 04:46 PM

15,578 posts, read 10,290,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
Of course we are more content with life. For many of us, work, raising a family, and gathering wealth is not the primary function in our 60’s or older. If we’re lucky, we don’t have a mortgage or car payments and our health is still good. Our main concerns are where to vacation and how many this year. For many of the seniors, luck has not been so good, and are struggling financially or with numerous health problems, thus the answer would be different.
Luck had very little to do with anything. Life now is due to a lifetime of hard work, planning, lifestyle choices, and deferred gratification. Not all things are good in anyone's life. We all have struggles, tragedies, setbacks. Results in life are mostly about making good or bad choices. Not luck. Luck infers we had no control. We did.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 09-09-2017 at 05:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 05:09 PM

749 posts, read 846,147 times
Sure, more content than young folks since the true futility of giving a **** has set in and more content than much older folks since complete helplessness hasn't set in yet. What a relief to give up on trying to change the world, or anyone in it and what a thrill to still be able to wipe my own azz!

Old 09-09-2017, 05:55 PM

3,404 posts, read 2,595,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Luck had very little to do with anything. Life now is due to a lifetime of hard work, planning, lifestyle choices, and deferred gratification. Not all things are good in anyone's life. We all have struggles, tragedies, setbacks. Results in life are mostly about making good or bad choices. Not luck. Luck infers we had no control. We did.
As so many other things in life your point is debatable. While I agree that setting priority's and good financial planning are important, s##t still happens.

For my life luck, health, a great wife, and some risk taking have been the major factors for being successful. I started out in the military, I did as I was told and was promoted, not really hard work, and if someone shoots at you, take cover and you are lucky if you come back from Vietnam healthy.

During the early 60’s a young officer told me to switch my major from accounting to computer courses, this was very lucky.

With my computer programming and relate knowledge I was hired by a major corporation after 9 year in the military. I was promoted into the management field and send to managerial school by the corporation. Again very lucky.

I retired from the corporation at age 50, again very lucky. I invested heavily in the stock market during the dot-com years, I had days making or losing $100K. Even a monkey could make money and again very, very lucky. All it took was nerves and a willingness to take risk.

Working hard will reward you with a paycheck and a sore back. I make my money work hard. Again very lucky.

Last edited by txfriend; 09-09-2017 at 06:04 PM..

Old 09-09-2017, 10:09 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,290,481 times
Not a surprise. Most people that age have been working a job that is near the end, kids are gone, and they are getting to the point that physical and internal ailments are so bad, that they are welcoming the grim reaper. As A younger person, you are scared of dying young and the end coming too soon, but at that age I gotta believe you are embracing it

Old 09-09-2017, 10:12 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,110,328 times
Proven statement
take care of today and tomarrow will take care of itself

Old 09-09-2017, 10:16 PM

6,314 posts, read 4,779,172 times
I must be in that 67%.

I retired at 60, now I'm 70 and I've been incredibly satisfied and content since I retired.

Old 09-09-2017, 10:17 PM

6,314 posts, read 4,779,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Proven statement
take care of today and tomarrow will take care of itself
Provided you put away enough cash to take care of tomorrow.

Old 09-09-2017, 11:49 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,110,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Provided you put away enough cash to take care of tomorrow.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/8jyhkoKdLRemtfcz2

Old 09-10-2017, 01:23 AM

1,573 posts, read 2,912,184 times
GREAT and so true Huckleberry. Thanks.

My Tax lady called me the other day to see how I was doing after our chat a few months ago. I told her and she agreed I think I have it figured out how to stay just below the top of the poverty level and still live nicely for me and not have to pay income or property taxes. Sweet.......... She laughed because I said ............Yes I know it sounds stupid maybe to be this way but at poverty level I can be living as a rich woman. Some times rich has different meanings too. I have lived on a whole lot less. I hope every one clicks the link it is well worth it.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:41 AM

1,582 posts, read 1,175,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momzdrm View Post
I am loving this thread, because that is exactly how I feel and have been wondering why.

At this age while we are aware that the sand is mostly through the hourglass the joy in living today makes that for the most part irrelevant.
Yep, wisdom in age is priceless. We have to be careful, though. At age 90, my mom told me

"I'm so proud- I still have an hour-glass figure!!!"

" 'Course the sand all shifted to the lower half..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement