Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2017, 06:46 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,924,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
^^^^^ Thank you, shades-of-idaho. It sounds a little like a diet a friend of mine went on (can't remember the name of it, a person's name I think). She dropped weight like crazy but has put it back on, tried another diet, lost weight, gained it back, I think she might be on her 3rd round. I don't want to repeat this. Once I lose the weight I want to keep it off.

I have wondered about jennie craig plan, don't know anyone who did it. I keep thinking if I can lose weight, i should be able to keep it off without torturing myself.

For now I'm going to try with smaller plate and smaller portions, no bags of salty snacks, no more candy, cookies, and limit myself on the ice cream. I used to think I had to have a dish of ice cream every night. But there is a new Stewart Shoppe a few blocks over where I can get a one-scoop cone or dish once a week, which seems plenty. I think when we diet, we do need an occasional treat.

After holding my full 90 pound loss for over a year. and thinking I lost the weight now I can dd some vegetables back into my lifestyle and quit tracking my foods only adding back in say three spears of asparagus and four mushrooms as my vegetable. I very quickly gained 16 pounds back. I was horrified as my clothes still fit. I had also stopped weighing my self daily. I was trying to get a little more relaxed. Had to go to doc for m arthritis and then discovered the weight gain may 31. I have dropped 20 of the 16 I gained back just by stopping the vegetables I had added in. And never peas or potatoes. Asparagus broccoli cauliflower. Honestly I was so sad. I just know for the rest of my life this will be the way I eat. It is not bad and I really do not care about food now. it fuels my body. I am committed to keep the weight off I do not want to go back fat again. It is just too hard and I feel miserable. The older I get the more I need my body systems running tip top. I am all alone so I have to take care of myself.

I tried many diets and none worked for me but this one. Best of luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 09:08 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Yeah you are right,but i am looking at some other posts on this forum and a large percentage of them did!

So some posters misunderstood my comment about unattractive women and getting older.

I notice in these getting older threads that nobody ADMITS to being unattractive when younger.

Everyone always was super attractive and lost their looks.

SO why cant the opposite happen?
Because people refuse to believe that some older women look better in their older years than they did when younger.

WHy is THAT so hard to understand?
Because your comment made it sound like only ugly women deal well with getting older and implies that attractive women have a harder time with it, which is so not true. How well one deals with getting older has less to do with their own attractiveness than it does with their outlook on life and how much value they place on being attractive.
And darn near everyone loses their looks as they get older, just that some have a lot more to lose than others. (and I don't care how good you look at 50 or 60, unless you have a lot more going for you, you probably still aren't pulling in hot thirty year old studs, lol)

Old 09-13-2017, 09:23 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post

I wonder if women who were deemed "unattractive" even as young women have an easier time with getting older?

I mean,they would be used to not receiving attention from men.

Not everyone was beautiful in their younger years,and i think lots of people do NOT realize that.

Some people also seem to have a hard time grasping that there are women who look better now that they are older than they did in the 20's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post

Because your comment made it sound like only ugly women deal well with getting older and implies that attractive women have a harder time with it, which is so not true. How well one deals with getting older has less to do with their own attractiveness than it does with their outlook on life and how much value they place on being attractive.
I didn't interpret jerseygal4u's post above as how you describe it, DubbleT. And she said nothing about 'ugly'.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:23 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
And darn near everyone loses their looks as they get older, just that some have a lot more to lose than others. (and I don't care how good you look at 50 or 60, unless you have a lot more going for you, you probably still aren't pulling in hot thirty year old studs, lol)
I never said ugly women deal better with getting older,but from reading the replies it does seem that way.

I also do not believe everyone loses their "looks" as they get older.

I really dont think 50 and 60 year old women give a damn about pulling in hot studs.

Heck,I am 35 and do not want a 30+ year old stud.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:28 AM

1,047 posts, read 726,023 times
Red face 20s vs now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeana View Post
I am still young certainly, but have to admit I worry about getting older. Call me vain but while I know I am no super model by any means, it is something I think about.
I was always one that hid my beauty when younger. Loved to walk and wear huge hooded sweatshirts so I felt free. So now that I am no longer in 20s it is a freedom. I don't have to hide my beauty bc you don't get followed (usually when over 30). I am enjoying most of the time. Sure being treated like a movie star was nice but it still was fluff in the big picture.
Read a lot of spiritual psycho therapy books. I did in my 20s constantly and maybe that helps more?
Getting older male or female can be a drag b/c you break bones more easily. Do your yoga w some weight training and don't stop. Look at JANE FONDA, Suzanne Summers, Christy Brinkley, et.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:55 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
After holding my full 90 pound loss for over a year. and thinking I lost the weight now I can dd some vegetables back into my lifestyle and quit tracking my foods only adding back in say three spears of asparagus and four mushrooms as my vegetable. I very quickly gained 16 pounds back. I was horrified as my clothes still fit. I had also stopped weighing my self daily. I was trying to get a little more relaxed. Had to go to doc for m arthritis and then discovered the weight gain may 31. I have dropped 20 of the 16 I gained back just by stopping the vegetables I had added in. And never peas or potatoes. Asparagus broccoli cauliflower. Honestly I was so sad. I just know for the rest of my life this will be the way I eat. It is not bad and I really do not care about food now. it fuels my body. I am committed to keep the weight off I do not want to go back fat again. It is just too hard and I feel miserable. The older I get the more I need my body systems running tip top. I am all alone so I have to take care of myself.

I tried many diets and none worked for me but this one. Best of luck to you.

I am truly sorry for the struggle you are having. The problem you have with vegetables is awful, especially since I have always heard how important they are, green leafy veggies in particular. I have started to increase the amount of water I drink every day. Due to some problems I have, I just started a daily drink of water mixed with Benefiber and Miralax, which has proven excellent for me.

Could some of the meds you are taking be causing easy weight gain?

I am also alone and need to keep myself as healthy as possible. What better reason do we have for doing that.

Good luck and good health to you!

Old 09-14-2017, 11:26 AM

1,573 posts, read 2,924,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
Generally, I think it's a much harder process for women. For me, it was 50. I see my peers practically in panic mode at the idea of growing old. To hold on to the physical with the latest lotion, potion, or procedure. Then, for extra fun, we go through the hell called menopause.

It's not all bad, though. I feel more confident, at peace, and am putting myself first for once.
I think the key to easing in to acceptance is for women to support each other more. I only have one friend that I can talk "real" to about this. My other close friends are in what I call the denial group.
Your denial group comment made me giggle as I flashed at my looking in the mirror seeing wrinkles and silver hair and other old age oddities no need to mention here. And actually some times they make me giggle. Like WTH when did THAT happen, or REALLY? We all know when we are "THERE". LOL Can not stop progress. How can I deny that?? I have a silly sense of humor. Maybe bordering on sick.

I have two friends I can talk to about this. Not that I ever dwell on it. One is two years older the other is 17/18 years younger. Both look great to me. I rarely look at some one and think, Gee I wonder how old she is? It really makes no difference.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:56 AM

2,565 posts, read 1,642,026 times
Well, I don't like it. I don't miss being hassled by men, but I hate feeling young(ish) and then looking in the mirror and seeing all the annoying signs of aging, plus being treated like an older person when out in public. I am 55 and the downslide started along with menopause a couple years ago. I am not a candidate for HRT, so couldn't go that route. Women I know who take it do look youthful longer, it seems to keep the skin thicker and more supple.

I initially went into lotion and potion panic mode and then decided I wanted a facelift (did not have one, too expensive and I am too chicken for elective vanity surgery), but I am over that. I see so many women who have obviously had plastic surgery (we live close to a small city with many very affluent retirees) and they still look their age, but pulled tight. I don't think there is anything that can recapture the glow of youth, unless someone has an endless supply of money and the very best plastic surgeons, but even that only works to a point.

However, I am trying micro-needling. A friend tried it and has had positive results, as far as wrinkle decrease and thicker skin, so it's worth a try. And I am pondering dyeing my hair because I really do believe that, for most people, graying hair makes one look a lot older.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:56 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
It's as depressing as he//, especially if you were particularly fetching when young. No two ways about it!

Old 09-20-2017, 04:28 AM

218 posts, read 172,106 times
Can I ask the ladies here a question? I already made a post regarding me and my OW whom I find very beautiful, but is a guy always in the wrong if he finds a physical aspect of a woman attractive but it drastically changes and finds it unattractive? I am not talking about natural aging but when one does a 180 and a guy finds it unattractive?

A good example would be that I admit to preferring longer hair not just from an aesthetic perspective, but in general, though I wouldn't count a woman out for having shorter hair. But not just for looks but I like it when I am with a woman and she is laying on my lap and I run my fingers through her hair as well. Anyway, an ex gf I had had long hair, down to her waist and I loved it. One day though she said she was going to get a haircut and just said that's cool thinking she was just getting a few inches off, only for her to return later and she had chopped it ALL OFF. Like, if this were the military and women had to have the same hair standards as men she would pass easily. Now, even had she cut it off significantly to say, her shoulders I wouldn't have minded as much but she took it all off and I admit not only did it shock me but I found her less physically attractive. She asked me what I thought and just said "That's...different" and tried to "get used to it" but it still bothered me.

I did break up with her eventually but it wasn't the sole reason by any means.

EDIT: I should add that my ex gf was 28 at the time. My current woman is 20 years older and keeps her hair fairly long.

Last edited by Debnor; 09-20-2017 at 04:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement