Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 08:59 AM

10,095 posts, read 6,439,011 times

Advertisements

Well, I looked at getting older as being a freeing experience. I never really had any looks to lose, so I didn't have to worry about that. I started suffering some physical ailments in my 30s from a condition caused by a brain tumor, and some of those ailments have slowly made themselves more noticeable, compounded by other stressors like broken bones and nerve damage. However, I took the age of 50 as my personal new beginning. That's when I began studying belly dancing. Although I was the oldest and the fattest student in the class, I really enjoyed it and even performed with the class at Middle Eastern restaurant. Since then I have taken up a lot of new activities, the latest being becoming a Master Gardener and a Tree Steward. I look at these as my means of dealing with becoming older, as they keep both my mind and my body engaged in something fun and useful. As long as I'm still on the top of the ground, I'm not too old!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 09:25 AM

11,130 posts, read 9,769,935 times
It's all in the mind of the individual. Adjust your mindset. If you think it's a bad thing, and fight it for all it's worth, you are just going to lose in the end. We all are going to age. Well, the lucky ones anyway. The unlucky ones are on the obit pages in the paper.

Get over yourself. As you said OP, you're not a supermodel anyway, so what amazing thing is going to be lost? Your youth? You lose it like everyone else. Welcome to the human race.

For perspective, I'm overweight, considerably overweight, and my friend comes to visit after not seeing me for a couple years. She looks me square in the face and says "How do you do it? Not one wrinkle". I look at her, she still has a pretty decent body, but turkey neck and crow's feet. And say, "Fat, it fills up the wrinkles, would you like to trade?" And that's it. I can be fat and wrinkle free, she can be thin and wrinkly, neither one of us is trying to, or ever going to, impress anyone with our outer beauty anymore. We all have our crosses to bear as we age, the trick is to accept change, and to be the BEST PERSON YOU CAN BE, not the BEST LOOKING PERSON.

When I see an older woman trying desperately to look younger than she is I think that it's sort of sad. But when I see an older woman, having a great time and not worried one bit about what others think of her, I am happy for her and hope to be like her. I live amongst a LOT of seniors. I see women who have accepted their grey hair and who wear very little makeup, just lipstick and maybe eyebrow pencil, and I see confidence and comfort at living happily in their own skin.

Last edited by TheShadow; 09-08-2017 at 09:34 AM..

Old 09-08-2017, 09:33 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,351,014 times
You've just got to pull up your big girl pants and forge ahead.

It also has to do with your level of self esteem. That will determine just how much whining one does about it.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:01 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,024,203 times
The OP is 31 years old.

Is it just me, or has the Retirement Forum suddenly been inundated with posters who are exactly 31 years old? What is this, the third one? Fourth? What is it about that age that causes them to not only think about aging issues, but to come to the Retirement Forum and post about them?

Go out and enjoy your youth!

Life is short. Get one.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:20 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,103,016 times
I haven't gotten over it and I suspect I won't. It's absolutely dreadful !!

Old 09-08-2017, 10:46 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,461,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
It was no "hell" at all. I didn't even notice it. It was nothing. And no problems whatsoever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
Well, aren't you lucky! This is exactly what I was writing about. Women are so mean to each other. No supporting; just judging.
Just realize your experience is not the normal and for some of us it is a different journey, including suffering with health issues.
I believe Matisse was far from being judgmental. She was just stating how it was for her. The question was, "how did you deal with...?" When directing this question at a group of women the answers are going to be varied from not bad to horrible. I suggest if specific responses are desired, specific questions should be asked as in "If you had problems with menopause or getting older etc, please share how you got through it."

Some women go through menopause without the least bit of trouble and some don't. I had to go through surgical menopause in my early forties because I had to have a hysterectomy. The menopause part really wasn't bad. I wore an estrogen patch for about six months and that was it.

Dealing with getting old has been the least of my problems. I'm sorry if that isn't the response the OP wants to hear but it's the truth for me.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:54 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,665,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
The OP is 31 years old.

Is it just me, or has the Retirement Forum suddenly been inundated with posters who are exactly 31 years old? What is this, the third one? Fourth? What is it about that age that causes them to not only think about aging issues, but to come to the Retirement Forum and post about them?

Life is short. Get one.

People are retiring earlier, MadMan.

I don't generally wish my life away, but I will be glad when this next week is behind us.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:01 AM

997 posts, read 711,025 times
I did not experience menopause because of an operation at age 45. The operation changed my life in that the side effects have caused me to not be in a relationship since then. I feel unattractive and fat. I used to be pretty. Some days I care; most days I don't. My family also majorly judges weight. I avoid being around them because of the anger it makes me feel.
I am not looking for a relationship so the key to losing weight for me is to improve my health.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:12 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,279,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeana View Post
I am still young certainly, but have to admit I worry about getting older. Call me vain but while I know I am no super model by any means, it is something I think about.
There is nothing to get over. Everyone ages.

Listening to my older sisters - 11 years older - comments about aging, made me not want to be like that.

Who the hell were they fooling?? LOL

I would also tell them, if you want to "look" young at least wear a decent bra -

Old 09-08-2017, 11:18 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,059,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
The OP is 31 years old.

Life is short. Get one.
If the OP is just 31 years old and already concerned about getting 'old', that is very sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement