Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 11:08 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times

Advertisements

I'd go to college and more than likely major in computer science. Ah, to have the 18 yr old body again!!!

There is a book by Ken Grimwood titled Replay where the main character does exactly that (goes back to 1963) . . however, it doesn't happen to him just once but over and over again. Fun reading about how he used his knowledge of sports to make a lot of money betting on games since he already knew the outcome.

https://www.amazon.com/Replay-Ken-Gr.../dp/068816112X
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 11:10 AM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
I never thought I'd say THIS, but I'd move to LA after I finished college. I was a theatrical props/costume person, and would have done really well in TV and movies, but stayed in San Francisco doing non-union live theater until I had to sell out to plan for the future. I coulda had vacations and savings AND loved my job!

Old 09-15-2017, 11:11 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
I'd be an outsider, just as I have always been although it would be more difficult in these days of socially and legally mandated conformity. There was far more freedom and tolerance in 1961. Living a private life requires more money today.

One thing that hasn't changed is the world of investments. The tools and methods have changed a bit, but the psychology of the market is no different.

As a matter of convenience, I'd research the best methods to lower or remove the sex drive.

I'd get a degree in mechanical engineering, then switch to classical philology for an advanced degree. My life would be largely spent on the history of science and technology from the earliest times to about 1950. I would not, however, associate myself with a university, but would be an independent scholar. I'd support myself from investments and private business ventures.

Old 09-15-2017, 11:59 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
I'd like to see that movie OP.

Love to have the 18-yr-old body back but not in this time period. I loved growing up in the 60's--70's.

So much freedom! No parental monitoring! Looking at it through today's eyes, I can't believe the stuff we did as kids back then.

Plus, I would be totally out of the loop with technology like I am now. It would be disastrous at 18.

Old 09-15-2017, 12:21 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothick View Post
Obviously, people in this section have seen a TON of stuff, seen LOTS of changes and have seen the world change drastically from technology, to rights for women/minorities, to language, to all kinds of stuff. But I recently watched a movie where a much older couple gets turned back to teenagers and you see how they interact with not only being young again but navigating how things are now, and it got me thinking, how would you react? Take this scenario:

You wake up tomorrow and you are 18 again. You have the same memories, knowledge, same universe, same time, only thing that has changed is you are an 18 year old all over again and can't change it. Apart from just having to deal with being a young adult again how would you take it? Would you be depressed? View it as a new lease on life and use it to experience things you didn't before? Keep in mind you still have all your memories from the age you are now, you're just in your body as it was at 18. I can imagine it would be very awkward for any children/grandchildren you may have for sure, but otherwise think you could get used to it and also being able to retain all the knowledge you had before definitely could be a great benefit.

Just something I thought may be quite an interesting discussion.
I would do whatever it takes to NOT be in debt or if I was going into debt for college or buying a home, I would do whatever it takes to get out of debt. Fiscal responsibility is very important. I lived by this and it served me well. I think the job market is okay at the moment. Sure are a lot of blue collar jobs that actually are paying better than tech jobs, so if you like to work with your hands that could be a plus. You could end up owning a business that way and no college debt with is way out of control.

Old 09-15-2017, 01:38 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times
The most important thing that I can think of right now is I would not have gotten married or had kids with him.

My dream (before h.s. graduation) was to move to D.C. and work there. That dream was after my dream to go to college and become a history teacher was shot down by my mother. (Instead I married and had 2 kids.) It would have been during the JFK era; however, I would not want to be there today working for DJT.

I would have gone to CA to see what it was like. Still have not been there. Hope to get there before my last breath.

Old 09-15-2017, 03:44 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
Being in my teens in the Sixties was something worth envy. What a time that was!

I'm so glad I grew up in the years I did. It was difficult and my mentors allowed it to be difficult. It made me strong and resilient. (Didn't like it at the time.)

I'd probably be really happy to have a PC. Living in smallish Midwestern towns was a real pain for a curious, avid reader. There was so much material I couldn't get my hands on.

On the negative side I probably would have never gone outdoors with a PC at my service. We were always outdoors doing fun things that young people are no longer allowed to do.

I think I would miss the interaction with others just as I miss it now. People don't seem to know how to communicate or interact anymore. I don't think I'm adequately explaining that. There's just a stilted quality to interactions I don't remember from my youth. Maybe too many of us aren't allowed to be ourselves anymore for fear of criticism.

Old 09-15-2017, 03:59 PM

226 posts, read 214,695 times
I would hate to be a young person in today's society but, if the OP's scenario took place and I woke up one day with my 59 year old mind in my 18 year old body I would get lots of disapproving looks and comments from people. Imagine what you would think if you saw an 18 year old that only dated men in their 50s and 60s because they couldn't even imagine trying to hold a conversation with someone their own age!

Old 09-15-2017, 04:11 PM

30 posts, read 35,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
UGH I can NOT imagine anything worse.

I have no envy of young people today.
I am a 35 year old mother. Other people's children tend to annoy me greatly. I'm guessing that the 18 year olds are just as socially inept, irresponsible, and immature as a lot of the mothers my age that I meet.

I doubt I could handle their company!

So no, I would never ever elect to do that. Kids today are a bunch of numb skulls. That's why we are homeschooling our daughter.

Old 09-15-2017, 06:00 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,250,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
UGH I can NOT imagine anything worse.

I have no envy of young people today.
I don't like that I'm getting older (I'm 37, I saw the topic in the recommend box), but I'm so glad that I wasn't a young person in the 2010s. I only wish that my working years avoided the recession, which affected my life badly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement