Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 07:53 PM

5,573 posts, read 6,497,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
UGH I can NOT imagine anything worse.

I have no envy of young people today.
I second this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 08:02 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,140,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
UGH I can NOT imagine anything worse.

I have no envy of young people today.
No kidding.

On the cusp of 50, next month, and reviewing life choices thus far from adulthood (c. 18, more like 17 in my case when I left town to attend college full time), I have about 3/4ths the perspective on this one as some on this thread:

Very few, if-any, life choices were made that weren't well thought-out. Some included counsel from others, all included me sitting down and thinking about alternatives, gaming scenarios, and making the decision that had the highest projected return on investment. Most panned out just fine, including my ongoing puzzlement that anyone would be dumb enough to "get married" or far, far worse: have children. Either or both will annihilate a person's identity, and much more importantly pocketbook. There is no scenario I ever gamed out at highest probability of NOT losing a quarter mil to several million dollars that way.

Returning to 18 with my current set of memories and experiences would not help. My line of work takes dedicated knowledge and experience that only comes from wisdom and time. There are zero people with less than 10-15 years of experience I would place into the role, it simply isn't possible because a big part of wisdom means being politically aware as well as technically, plus having very deep domain experience to intuitively understand the correct call to make in very complex situations. The way to learn that is through success and the occasional big failure. The way to persevere is to fail fast and recover. Many cannot learn from failure, which is why there are damn few who do what I do and it pays very well indeed.

Not a bit of that could be imparted to others at the biological age of 18. I'd immediately shave my head, grow a beard, and claim to be 28 to at least have an entry to mid-level job in what I do, though I'd need to somehow falsify my creds in such a way difficult to discover. That would mean living in fear.

Or, I would start from scratch and arrive to where I am now, probably five years earlier, by making even more-optimized decisions based on a vastly improved set of skills (wisdom). End of the day, why would I want to do that, that's just stupid. I'd need to relive some of the major mistakes (a few) and all the highs (very many), which isn't worth it. It'd just be repetitive.

Or I'd re-attend undergrad, based on test scores and my tolerable (but not great) HS CV, into another major and probably join ROTC (again), this time powering through to become a military leader on fast-track promotion due to being able to make wise calls under extreme pressure. That would lead to a more "meaningful" life, preserving my country, if not more "lucrative."

Old 09-15-2017, 08:04 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,399,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
I second this.
I had to do a double take! Didn't remember posting twice here, Michigan Transplant.

While I feel somewhat flattered that you have taken my username I can't help but wonder if it may cause confusion.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:35 PM

5,573 posts, read 6,497,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I had to do a double take! Didn't remember posting twice here, Michigan Transplant.

While I feel somewhat flattered that you have taken my username I can't help but wonder if it may cause confusion.
I sent you a DM with an explanation. Name chosen similar to yours was not intentional.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:44 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,925,188 times
The OP didn't say whether or not I'd still have my bank account and other "stuff". If so, I'd probably buy an RV and travel the country blogging about my travels. Or sail my boat to the Caribbean and just hang out. If I was broke, I'd just start all over again and I'm sure I'd be fine. As for the 18 year old girls? YES!!

Old 09-15-2017, 09:56 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,388,424 times
I'd rethink my whole plan. I'd probably do whatever I could to get into the weed business. That can't be outsourced easily, and automation will only go so far to eliminate the human factor.

Old 09-16-2017, 05:33 AM

24,555 posts, read 18,225,831 times
Having to do college over and get a career started would be awful. I already paid my dues once. Why would I want to do that again. I'd have nothing in common with other 18 year olds. Tough to imagine dating someone who isn't a grownup.

The physical side would be great. Intact ACLs. The high testosterone level.

Me? I'd rather rewind to age 30 when I'm an adult.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:14 AM

2,158 posts, read 1,441,022 times
Transporting my brain to the body of an 18 year old. I'd still have to finish raising my current crop of kids, and I love my work so I'd continue doing it, but just be even more energetic than I currently am. I'd make tons and tons of money so in 10 years, I'd be ready to have complete financial freedom at the ripe (Body age) of 28. At that point I could embark on whatever dreams I wanted to pursue.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:53 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,944,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothick View Post
But I recently watched a movie where a much older couple gets turned back to teenagers and you see how they interact with not only being young again but navigating how things are now, and it got me thinking, how would you react? Take this scenario:

You wake up tomorrow and you are 18 again.
There are so many of those movies -- like "Freaky Friday" -- and I have successfully avoided seeing any of them because I hate the concept.

I would not be 18 again even if I could. It doesn't bear thinking about.

I had a friend who talked about all the things he'd do if he won the lottery. Sure, daydreaming is fun if you're in a situation where there's nothing else to do. But most of us have the sense to understand it leads nowhere, just like fantasizing what you'd do if you were 18 again.

Then it became, "I have to wait until I win the lottery before I can do X." Instead of finding a way to do X. And "My life is crap because I've never won the lottery."

All that time and mental energy wasted -- but that's OK, because it'll all change when he wins the lottery.

He's pushing 70 now. It had better happen soon.

Last edited by fluffythewondercat; 09-16-2017 at 09:04 AM..

Old 09-16-2017, 09:02 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,349,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
S.C.
You are in the same age range with my daughter. Every time that I read your posts, I can not help comparing you to her and sometimes myself at your age!

I find it astonishing that you often expresses regrets like someone who is much older. I also often wonder why do you hang around in a retirement forum! IMO, People of your age should be completely engaged in the present and full of hope, dreams and plans for the future.

I am jotting down in blue below what came to my mind when I read your 'should have', 'could have' post!
Yes - SeriousConversation - you write as though everything was already behind you at the age of 31! After reading what others are feeling at ages 50 and up, don't you realize that NOW is the time for you to make whatever changes you want? You are a YOUNGSTER! You may not feel it, but when you are 60 and looking back you'll fully realize how wasteful you were with those years if you don't do the things you need and want to do. Figure it out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement