Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 02:37 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Many communities "look the other way" for small things like basketball hoops or the color of your front door. They only enforce the rule if it becomes something the neighbors complain about.
I've lived in 2 HOA (non-retirement) communities. In the first one, a person from outside the community was hired to check the homes a couple of times a month and letters were sent to anyone who had a violation. If the violation was something bad, like a mildewed red tile roof, they would follow up and even get a lawyer involved if it wasn't fixed.

In the second community (gated), the HOA was much weaker. Basketball hoops were supposed to be portable and removed at the end of the day to the garage. This wasn't enforced and after we returned from a trip one time, we found our neighbor's portable b'ball hoop in OUR front yard (on Easter). We asked them to move it back to their yard, which they didn't do for about 3 more days. Nothing was ever said about it to the HOA but we didn't pursue that. So some HOA's are more effective than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 02:42 PM

Default How about re-sales of homes?

When there is a turnover of homes because someone moves out, are the neighbors just as friendly to the newcomers as they were in the beginning when the community was just built and everyone was new?

We like fixer-uppers. In older communities would there perhaps be some homes that would sell for a lower price because the inside needed updating?

Old 03-21-2008, 04:17 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,270,219 times
While I don't like obnoxious loud neighbors with broken cars and washing machines in their front yards, I also don't like a too uniform appearance and the HOA dictating how everybody lives.

I'm pretty much like that, too & I HATE arguments and I do not want to spend my retirement years not getting along where ever I live. Yes, Crazy Town sounds just perfect.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-21-2008, 05:37 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,933,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
When there is a turnover of homes because someone moves out, are the neighbors just as friendly to the newcomers as they were in the beginning when the community was just built and everyone was new?
I can only speak for the 55+ communities that I know personally. In Hot Springs Village, most of the neighborhoods are about 20 years. There are very few original owners left. People tend to move out of the homes and into assisted living as the years go by. And, sadly, some people wait too long to retire and they die not all that long after they move into the community.

So yes, I think people are generally friendly to all newcomers. And, to answer your question they are just as friendly to the newcomers as they were in the beginning when the community was just built.

Just my opinion, but I think 55+ communities are actually friendlier to their fellow seniors when they move in than a mixed community is. In a mixed community people are sometimes too busy working and raising families to even notice when a senior citizen moves in next door.

Quote:
We like fixer-uppers. In older communities would there perhaps be some homes that would sell for a lower price because the inside needed updating?
Probably all the homes in a particular neighborhood would be about the same price if they were built at the same time and are about the same size... unless one was in particularly bad shape. The homes in my parents old neighborhood sell for about $150,000-200,000 right now whether they are in good shape or not.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:14 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,529,910 times
Quote:

I can only speak of our own experience. We have never been so welcomed as we were, (and are) at our new Florida home. Although I am happy where I am now, up north in a community I've lived in for 38 years, I even feel more at home at our Florida home. It would take hours to post the many small acts of kindness we have been blessed with.

As to fixer-uppers.......I felt the same way. In fact, I designed and built our "northern" home myself, and always thought I'd build my own retirement home. Our florida home is 15 years old, so I can still keep very busy remodeling and upgrading this home. Although the home is now very nice, I have a long list of upgrades and improvements I plan on doing.

Frank D.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:45 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,270,219 times
Your place sounds just wonderful , frank. I see that you , though, are younger. Are there a lot of over sixties in most of those places, do you think?
I'll bet it's nice & warm there now. It's still in the thirties here on Long Island.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-22-2008, 08:31 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,529,910 times
Dear Nancy,
Thank you. Yes, there are a lot of 60's and older there, but also many that are younger, and many that still work every day.
I hear some people say, "You're smart to retire here, smarter if you do it younger, when you can enjoy it more".

I'll be 50 this May. I can retire from my firefighting job in about 3 years. I am an avid do-it-yourselfer, and am happiest with a tool in my hand. I do remodeling, woodworking, kitchens, plumbing, electrical, etc,etc....basically everything. I designed and built my own house.

I cannot think of anything better then being surrounded by thousands of people who want quality work done at a reasonable, fair price by someone whom they can trust. Many of those people either cannot or choose not to do it themselves. I plan on supplementing my pension with handyman work. I have also considered being a licensed home inspector down there.

Getting back to your question.....I think many of the neighbors get a kick from my wife and myself when we are down there. We never rest....we are always working on the house. They love seeing me climb the palm trees to cut the dead fronds off of them, or climb up on the roof to inspect the shingles, or when I aggressively trim every tree, etc, making HUGE piles of yard waste. We are the new entertainment

When I'm up north here, I'm an old guy turning 50......down there to many I'm that new kid who just bought the house and does everything himself. Makes me feel young....

I do enjoy the older people....they have great stories and a lot of wisdom. To hear stories about the depression, about WW II, etc is something we will not be able to do for much longer. I like helping them out....hopefully someday, when I need it, someone will be there for me.

Life is too short to be unhappy. While I am not unhappy, I do tire of the extreme, long cold winters of western NY and the high taxes up here. I really think we will love it down there.....but you know the best thing??

It is simply this......we live in a great country where we can live anywhere we want. If for some reason after a few years we find Florida is not for us, I can move to Tennessee, Kentucky, South Carolina, or anywhere else we want. The good Lord gives us all the same 24 hours a day, and we do with them what we want. Ya gotta have a plan......

Well, Happy Easter! I watch the weather in both places daily. It's always nicer down there.......

Frank D.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:50 AM

452 posts, read 1,722,131 times
My husband and I moved to a fifty-five and older community in '06. I barely got in under the wire but I'm catching up fast now!!

Ours is not gated but we are fenced in and that gives you a certain sense of security, altho we're surrounded by "young" neighborhoods on two sides. There's a very fancy senior community going in on the south side. Our property values are going up, even tho most of the homes here are more than fifteen years old.

We have a clubhouse and swimming pool and a POA of eight members. Our monthly dues are 35 bucks a month with a hike expected this year, if the membership agrees. When we tell them the pool needs sprucing up, they MIGHT vote it in.

When we first moved in, we got an immediate sense of family, especially with our closest neighbors. We have potlucks once a month and that's when you really start to know folks...even if it takes a while to remember all the names and faces. We have 71 property owners...with less than half of those being single. The widows get together for luncheons and game nights and our social club is very active. Of course there are whiners and complainers but they're in the minority. Some of our folks have travel trailers and are gone for months at a time with no worries.

I was elected to the board my second year here and have been serving as VP. That means the other folks who have been here a while are tired of making decisions and doing the leg work and want to do what they came here for...RETIRE. I'm starting to think that way myself. BUT, every retirement community needs fresh ideas, even tho some people balk. That's the main problem with ours. Restrictions are few and the only problem I've noticed is the favoritism that seems to take place with enforcement. We aren't micro-managed by any means and the by-laws were amended last year for the first time in ages.

All in all, I think we made a great choice. I will feel safe if I end up living here alone some day. I think my husband will stay here if he ends up being the one left. I know the single ladies will be happy to have him.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:17 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,667,888 times
Where is your community Arklexee?
We just moved to ours Feb 2006.
Our community sounds a bit like yours and we do love it. No regrets whatsoever.
What is nice about living in a community, you can interact with your neighbors if you choose. We are all around the same age and have so much in common.
What prompted me to your post was this paragraph:
"was elected to the board my second year here and have been serving as VP. That means the other folks who have been here a while are tired of making decisions and doing the leg work and want to do what they came here for...RETIRE. I'm starting to think that way myself. BUT, every retirement community needs fresh ideas, even tho some people balk. That's the main problem with ours. Restrictions are few and the only problem I've noticed is the favoritism that seems to take place with enforcement. We aren't micro-managed by any means and the by-laws were amended last year for the first time in ages. "

There are and will be problems no matter where you go. Just like a job. There is always someone or something that will spark beotching of some sort.
I see it here and I dont' particular care for everything in our community either.

I just decided to do my own thing. Ask several people if they want to participate and live my life and be happy. Life is too short to Beotch. Of course, a little gossip is good for the soul. and it is healthy to let off steam every once in a while.

All in all, I think we made a great choice. I will feel safe if I end up living here alone some day. I think my husband will stay here if he ends up being the one left. I know the single ladies will be happy to have him. [/quote]

Old 03-23-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Dear Nancy,

I cannot think of anything better then being surrounded by thousands of people who want quality work done at a reasonable, fair price by someone whom they can trust. Many of those people either cannot or choose not to do it themselves. I plan on supplementing my pension with handyman work. I have also considered being a licensed home inspector down there.
Frank,
You and your wife are very smart to plan your retirement so well. I'm sure you'll have plenty of people who will want your quality services. You both sound like wonderful people!

Ann
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement