Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 09:28 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,428,739 times

Advertisements

Well, in reference to post #8, I never really volunteered much while I was working because I traveled a lot, plus I did all the house and yard work in addition to my high-stress job. I did have my own small business for a few years after retiring, but gave it up due to the hassle. Now I volunteer through several organizations connected with gardening, tree stewardship, and environmental management and conservation. Those were always interests that I had, but now I have the time to actively pursue them with real results for the community. So a person CAN volunteer in retirement even though they didn't previously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 09:31 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,315,042 times
Guilt?

Never. Hell I worked for 58 years.

Were you raised Catholic?

Old 09-17-2017, 09:38 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,663,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
As I near retirement, I am very excited about it, but also fearful that I am going to feel guilty not working. I plan to retire next year at age 61 1/2. I have been careful, financially, which will enable me to live a modest, but comfortable life....which is what I have always done. But my parents always drilled a work ethic into me....work and save, work and save. How do others deal with the guilt of waking up on a Monday and not going to work along with everyone else? Does it dissipate over time? Did you not feel as guilty as you thought you might? I don't plan to sit in front of the TV eating bonbons. My plans are to exercise and be active in my new community.....but not pursuing a paycheck.....I am worried about how that will make me feel.

[snip]

I think its probably fear of the unknown. Its hard to imagine not having to work.

I still have days when I "work". Clean some area of the house or yard, catch up on paperwork, etc. I take days off too, when I don't get dressed and sit in front of the tv eating bonbons The biggest difference in my life now is that I move at my own speed.

Retirement is wonderful. I hope you are as happy with it as I am. I too started out not being able to imagine what it would be like. I worked two jobs much of my working life.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-19-2017 at 08:48 AM..

Old 09-17-2017, 10:29 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
I was a workaholic before I retired at 58. I thought that I would have a hard time with idle time. I was never used to it. I have to tell you that these last two years flew by and I was rarely bored. I got over being a workaholic amazingly fast. You won't feel guilty about not working once you get a taste of that total freedom. It's intoxicating. Once in awhile I get anxious about something that needs to be done that I haven't gotten around to doing, but, meh, I'll get to it when I feel like doing it. That's retirement for me. It's all about having fun and resenting anything that interferes.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:50 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
I kind of feel guilty when I run into people in their late 60s and 70s still working even though they struggle with health issues. I always wonder how they do it?

In my poor small south texas town lots of them are raising and supporting grandkids and kids - so they gotta work.

I do still volunteer - something I always did when I was in school and in the military. Exercise too was important.

Someone mentioned about those habits won't change and they might be right. I sometimes wonder if I hadn't spent over 20 years running and exercising in order to pass the yearly physical fitness test, would I be sitting here weighing over 200lbs? Probably

Old 09-17-2017, 11:00 AM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
As I near retirement, I am very excited about it, but also fearful that I am going to feel guilty not working. I plan to retire next year at age 61 1/2. I have been careful, financially, which will enable me to live a modest, but comfortable life....which is what I have always done. But my parents always drilled a work ethic into me....work and save, work and save. How do others deal with the guilt of waking up on a Monday and not going to work along with everyone else? Does it dissipate over time? Did you not feel as guilty as you thought you might? I don't plan to sit in front of the TV eating bonbons. My plans are to exercise and be active in my new community.....but not pursuing a paycheck.....I am worried about how that will make me feel.

[snip]
I retired six years ago at nearly age 64, and have never felt one iota of guilt for doing so. Of course, I had a part time (at home ) consulting gig, which I recently gave up as it was costing me more in taxes than I felt was worth it, That and my eyes going buggy with too much close up work. This and my employment over the years made my time in the workplace paying into SS and Medicare a total of 45 years. IMO, if anyone deserved to retire, it's me.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-19-2017 at 08:50 AM..

Old 09-17-2017, 11:07 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,900,601 times
Quote:
As I near retirement, I am very excited about it, but also fearful that I am going to feel guilty not working. I plan to retire next year at age 61 1/2.
I retired one month short of my 60th birthday. Never looked back. Never felt guilty.

Quote:
I have been careful, financially, which will enable me to live a modest, but comfortable life....
Same here.

Quote:
How do others deal with the guilt of waking up on a Monday and not going to work
I exult. I revel. I enjoy. I give thanks.

No guilt at all.

Though I do, occasionally, feel a twinge of sympathy for those still working. But that passes quickly.

Old 09-17-2017, 12:55 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,645,388 times
I am getting ready for retirement only a few more weeks to work. Retirement paperwork going in the mail next week...Social Security payment in place.

I cannot imagine feeling guilty for retiring. I worked 32 years and I feel GOOD about letting someone have my job and start their career.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:05 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
So a person CAN volunteer in retirement even though they didn't previously.
Absolutely. I consider my stressful shift work job to have interfered with all other aspects of life and I do intend to be reborn.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:44 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,131,896 times
there are two kinds of people. Those that work to live and those that live to work.
if you are the first then you will have no reason to have guilt feelings. If you are the second then you will likely feel some guilt and like a duck out of water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement