Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 07:28 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,243,403 times

Advertisements

The Medicare section of the Social Security website has information on how Medicare works and would likely help you make your decision by answering a lot of your questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 08:03 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,126,824 times
Quote:
Not sure the med benefits are worth it given what you say.
That's why I need expert help here -- on nailing down the nitty-gritty on FEHB retiree health insurance.

But there's also the prospect of even a small pension of 200 a month....which is till money. If if it's not COLA'd, in my lifetime anyway that will pay for a couple of dinners out, a months worth of gas for the car, a couple of utility bills.

AND the security of a Fed job, if/when I get in.

To take a civilian job at 57....only to be laid off at 60 or 61.....even if it were a job that might pay slightly more, but would have less security.
OR, the Fed job that would pay less, and that might enjoy less -- BUT those retiree bennies could sweeten the pot.
They don't sweeten it anywhere near the level as if I'd been a career fed worker....but getting a job at 57 that I only have to work for 5 years and can still get retirement benefits.....you gotta at least put some weight on that as a factor.

I'm trying to figure out how much 'weight' to give the retiree benefits, for such a short Fed employment, only age 57-65.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:48 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,207,041 times
Kind of a non-answer since I am not a gov employee, but I should be eligible for retiree medical via my employer.

This would be the only way I could retire before 65, which I fully intend to do!

Old 09-18-2017, 08:54 PM

309 posts, read 195,552 times
I worked at the County level in NY, and in retirement I retained the same free medical benefits that I had throughout my career. All I pay is a $20 copay, which is then reimbursed by the union at the end of each year. At 65, Medicare becomes the primary, and my current insurance will be my secondary coverage.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:52 PM

I'm trying to figure out how the retiree health insurance benefit -- actually works in practice -- and how much dollar wise it's really worth.

Just how much is the current FEHB health premium for an individual? The current number would be nice to know.

IF along with Medicare -- and the FEHB -- I WILL NOT NEED an additional MediGAP policy -- then -- in my mind -- that FEHB is worth more.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:05 PM

79 posts, read 144,474 times
selhars:
My husband is retiring from the government next month. He has 10 years total time in. He previously retired from a union job. The benefits we received for only the short amount of time he was there we felt were great. There are fringe benefits that add up quickly. Paid sick and vacation days, holiday pay, step raises, and yearly performance evaluations that can have a sweet payout. My husband loves his job and feels grateful to be retiring from it. His pension will cover our health insurance which is amazing. I was actually told by the insurance company if we get a bill don't pay it because they will cover everything. His pension will also cover dental, vision, and a small life ins benefit. It will be our secondary insurance after Medicare. To us it is totally worth it to have such great coverage. Peace of mind=priceless. Good luck

Old 09-18-2017, 10:15 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,383,535 times
I'm a few years away from 65 so cannot answer all your questions although I've started looking at Medicare. Google OPM FEHB and there is an Office of Personnel Management website with the different government health plans that includes costs and brochures. Each brochure has a Section 9 on coordinating FEHB and Medicare. There will be differences between the plans but mostly similarities. Some of your questions may be answered by reading Section 9. BCBS also has a brochure (FEHB and Blue?) that discusses this in simpler language and provides some examples. The simple answer is that FEHB will serve as 1) medigap for Part A and 2) regular insurance for doctor bills (with same caps on allowable costs as Medicare Part B) with your being responsible for deductibles, copayments, coinsurance. Not sure that provides you the detailed answers you seek.

Retirement classes taught us that our "FEHB is gold" in retirement. After reading some on this, it is gold for a young government retiree who can often retire at age 55 or 56 until age 65. After age 65, it is probably silver since FEHB is secondary to Medicare. One advantage to FEHB is that you will not need a Plan D prescription drug plan as FEHB provides equivalent benefits. If you decide to retire at 62, FEHB would be a great benefit. In addition to a pension, the government matches your 401k/TSP contributions up to 5% of salary.

Last edited by ABQ2015; 09-18-2017 at 10:49 PM..

Old 09-18-2017, 11:06 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Just how much is the current FEHB health premium for an individual? The current number would be nice to know.

IF along with Medicare -- and the FEHB -- I WILL NOT NEED an additional MediGAP policy -- then -- in my mind -- that FEHB is worth more.
The FEHB plan replaces a Medigap. You do not need both

The FEHB plan comes in many permutations and costs, depending on which plan (there are many) you choose and where you live and from which dept. of federal govt you are retiring from. You can choose self, self and spouse, self + dependents, and different levels of coverage.

Family plans can be as high as $500, self only $120, possibly less.

Read this:

https://www.opm.gov/healthcare-insurance/healthcare/

Left side of page click on "Plan Information."

https://www.opm.gov/healthcare-insur...y-of-benefits/

Here is the link on Premiums:

https://www.opm.gov/healthcare-insur...tion/premiums/

If you still have qs, bigbear99 knows a lot about this. You might want to dm her - or write madmanofbethesda. He pretty much knows everything about govt benefits.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 09-18-2017 at 11:30 PM..

Old 09-18-2017, 11:21 PM

Thanks. IF I get the fed job -- I'll likely take it.

Unfortunately it'd be with an agency that's not highly respected (and requires a lot of public interaction) -- and on a Band pay scale NOT GS -- AND it's be work I really don't want to do. If you've read my other posts please do NOT name the agency here.

But I guess I'd just have to suck it up for the eight years I'd be there.
I could also just get on board, and try to transfer out just as quick as I can. Because I'd then at least be applying for other Fed jobs AS a Fed employee.

Thanks all. Your responses have been extremely informative.

Old 09-19-2017, 04:10 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,088,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
The FEHB plan replaces a Medigap. You do not need both

The FEHB plan comes in many permutations and costs, depending on which plan (there are many) you choose and where you live and from which dept. of federal govt you are retiring from. You can choose self, self and spouse, self + dependents, and different levels of coverage.

Family plans can be as high as $500, self only $120, possibly less.

Read this:

https://www.opm.gov/healthcare-insurance/healthcare/

Left side of page click on "Plan Information."

https://www.opm.gov/healthcare-insur...y-of-benefits/

Here is the link on Premiums:

https://www.opm.gov/healthcare-insur...tion/premiums/

If you still have qs, bigbear99 knows a lot about this. You might want to dm her - or write madmanofbethesda. He pretty much knows everything about govt benefits.
They added a year or two ago Self Plus One especially for retirees and families that have no dependent children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement