Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 12:49 PM

731 posts, read 768,560 times

Advertisements

Most people have a job to get money to live their life. A job is a job. If you're waiting for a job that has sunshine and roses, good luck. There are people who love their job, but I don't believe that's the norm.

I started my civil service job very early in my life. It was OK. Had the usual ups and downs. Sometimes I really liked my job, and some times, not so much. I've met a lot of good people that I still keep in touch with. SOOOOO glad I stuck with it, because now I have a pension and health benefits and can enjoy my retirement. Some people now say I'm lucky. No, I worked hard for many years and made the right choices.

So, my answer to your question is: YESSSSS I would take a job I thought I would hate because of the retirement benefits. I did it and it turned out great! Take the TSA job and make the best of it. What's the worse thing that can happen? You can always quit if you don't like it. Give it at least a year. Once you're in, if you're smart, you'll find your way .

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 06:15 PM

6,594 posts, read 7,091,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Sorry I wasn't clear. I've done that already.

Thanks, but that's the whole point of my question. I can't decide.
I really do lean "yes" one day.....a person would be crazy to turn down a fed gig , right?
And "no" the next...I just can't trade 8 years of a job I don't think I'd enjoy. Not even for Fed retiree benefits.

Yeah I know. TSA has a bad rep even among other agencies. Plus its a Band pay scale not GS. So moving over has some additional salary issues.
It's just frustrating because of all the applications I've put out there...THIS is the one that seems to be coming though. The only one I actually have no interest in -- other than for the benefits. Low hanging fruit is right! And not in the best way.

A family member advised me that life is too short to take a job you really don't want -- just for the benefits. That's my dilemma. But we talk all the time on this board about how important health care and a pension are. I just don't know whether they should be deciding factor if the job isn't really what you want. (and when retirement would be OK anyway. BETTER with another pension. But is that FEHB and little retirement annuity make or break? No. But better to have than not have right? And friends remind me...about the voluntary buyout I took from a previous job...and ask is THIS why you did that? For a job you don't think you want? You have the chance (blessed freedom) to actually DECIDE what you want to do. And THAT's it? TSA? My answer is 'No not really."

Maybe I'd like TSA more than I think I would. I have to say it would help IF through this entire process -- I had met ONE person who truly enjoyed working there. Instead of two who wanted to leave. And another who said..."it's OK." That's not enticing now is it?

I don't think anyone who has posted here has said...Yes they'd take a job they thought they's hate....just for the retiree benefits. Not even the Fed benefits. That's what I'm serous about how many of you would do that? So far..... no one.
I did. I joined the Army National Guard knowing I might have to deploy to a war zone or be called out in the middle of the night to respond to a tornado's destructive path through my state. I did it knowing full well that at the end of it all I would have two pensions and healthcare. I did that job for 30 years as a guardsmen. Please do not say that people will not put up with a lot of BS for the bennies at the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement