Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 04:03 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,210,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Good genes and good luck.
Ugh. I hope I am heavy on good luck then.

I am approaching the eightieth birth day in a few months. If I make it I will be only the fourth male since 1792 in my father's family not to die before eighty. And there were lots and lots of males, and lots of documentation...not a long-lived lot. My father died at 55.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 04:15 AM

890 posts, read 884,490 times
https://www.amazon.com/Benefits-Toba.../dp/9962636450
One or two cigars a day is very beneficial to good health. Don't smoke five or six. Getting the dosage right is key.

Old 09-22-2017, 04:40 AM

15 posts, read 26,148 times
Thanks for posting..........

Old 09-22-2017, 10:20 AM

7,460 posts, read 4,703,255 times
To me, the quantity or length of life is secondary to the quality of life.

And by quality, I do not mean having the most money or biggest house.

Just give me my girl, soft waves and sunset.
Attached Thumbnails
The secret to a long good life.......-beach.jpg  

Old 09-22-2017, 01:16 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,589,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graywhiskers View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Benefits-Toba.../dp/9962636450

One or two cigars a day is very beneficial to good health. Don't smoke five or six. Getting the dosage right is key.
"All tobacco smoke contains chemicals that can cause cancer, and cigar smoke is no exception. Regular cigar smoking increases the risk of several types of cancers, including cancers of the mouth, throat, esophagus and larynx. And lung and heart disease." Jul 13, 2016
- Mayo Clinic
Cigar smoking: Safer than cigarette smoking? - Mayo Clinic

Last edited by matisse12; 09-22-2017 at 01:34 PM..

Old 09-22-2017, 03:04 PM

11,083 posts, read 6,665,455 times
Genetics. But it's interesting that, at a certain point, the body just shuts down.

My parents, both in their late 80's, were found on their death beds to have totally clogged arteries / totally cancer-ridden throughout the body. This despite a lifetime of healthy eating, no smoking/drinking. No previous signs of the heart problems or cancer.

At that age, it's just chalked up to "natural causes".

What interests me even more is that my grandparents all lived to late 90's. Why the 10-year difference?

Old 09-22-2017, 07:39 PM

890 posts, read 884,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
"All tobacco smoke contains chemicals that can cause cancer, and cigar smoke is no exception. Regular cigar smoking increases the risk of several types of cancers, including cancers of the mouth, throat, esophagus and larynx. And lung and heart disease." Jul 13, 2016
- Mayo Clinic
The book I cited lists actual studies as references. You can web search and find similar articles and studies. Even smoking cigarettes is not harmful if smoking 10 or less a day.
Japanese smoke far more than Americans per capita but have much lower rates of lung cancer.

The medical propaganda for some time has said all tobacco is bad. They also used to recommend a limit to the amount of eggs we should eat. Saturated fat has been cleared. It once was speculated, falsely, that smoking marijuana would cause lung cancer. Any smoke in the lungs would be harmful (note, cigar smoke is not inhaled into the lungs). After a very large US study was completed, it turns out marijuana smokers have a slightly lower rate of lung cancer than tobacco and marijuana non-smokers.

No one disputes smoking decreases the rate of Parkinson's disease. A horrible disease. Studies also showed a reduced rate of Alzheimer's. The anti-smoking mafia is trying to dispute this with emotion and twisted logic, rather than studies. They cannot accept tobacco as medicine, which must be applied in the appropriate dosage to be beneficial.

There are health benefits to smoking cigars. The rate of oral cancers resulting from smoking one or two a day (the government uses one or two as a group) is statistically insignificantly increased compared to non-smokers. However, as the rate of smoking cigars per day increases beyond two, there is an ever increasing risk of oral cancers. Someone smoking 20 cigars a day has a much higher risk than someone smoking one or two a day. Although George Burns lived to 100, and died because of a head injury, he smoked at least 15 cigars a day from his early teen years. Ulysses S Grant was not so lucky. Drinking alcohol is considered an additional risk factor for developing oral cancers.

Gerald Ford lived to an old age with all his faculties, and he was a pipe smoker. You will find many such examples.

Old 09-23-2017, 02:26 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,058,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
To me, the quantity or length of life is secondary to the quality of life.

And by quality, I do not mean having the most money or biggest house.

Just give me my girl, soft waves and sunset.
A good discription of the "Concept of Enough".

Old 09-23-2017, 02:39 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,058,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
- Mayo Clinic
The problem here is that a "cigar" in not always a "cigar". Only the cigar , or pure tobacco, know that there is a big difference in what makes up a cigar. The drug store, or super market, variety are NOT pure tobacco. That variety carries the statement on the box that they are "predominantly non tobacco" in make up without telling what non- tobacco is. These can be cancer sticks......

Pipe and HIGH QUALITY cigars (found only at tobacco shops or online vendors) are all tobacco. When enjoyed , and smoked very slowly, expose little risk to the user. This type of cigar can easily be one and done for the day.

Old 09-23-2017, 03:11 PM

5,949 posts, read 5,119,530 times
matisse12: Did you recently lose a loved one to cancer? Or some other terminal disease associated with tobacco??

Both of my sisters were heavy smokers/drinkers. Both died from lung cancer. When I was first going through each loss, I wanted to tell the world about the danger of smoking, etc.

Well, I calmed down. I believe most if not all of the people who read these posts have heard more than once about the dangers and reasons why they should not use it.

So, please...... you don't have to keep instructing them! They are grown ups now..... and know what they are doing...... and those who want to and don't care are going to keep on using it.

OK?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement