Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2017, 08:01 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,532,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I've lved in my present location for ten years. During that time, I've experienced a number of power failures ranging from a few minutes to several hours. However, they have been rare for the last several years. My phone and DSL have worked fine during these outages. I had one telephone line failure that lasted for two days as well as a few DSL failures. There was no disruption of electric service.

Telephone lines are all underground in my area; my electric company has converted most of the electric lines to underground as well.
You're very lucky. We don't have lines underground here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
There are 100's of corded phones available for purchase.

Walmart.com is one of the places with many.

scroll thru this:
corded phones https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

100's of corded phones are available for purchase at:

walmart.com

amazon.com

bestbuy.com

target.com
I said IN my local Walmart. I didn't say anything about buying online. I have no use for a corded or cordless phone since I haven't had a landline in ages.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
I'm 74, but I'm not retired. I have three phone lines, a computer with a large screen and large keyboard, a printer, fax, copier, and a credit card terminal. However, you think that I can't have a real business unless I trade it all for a cell phone?

I'm not trying to be the most envied boy in high school. I just wish to make money.
Where did I say you "can't have a real business unless I trade it all for a cell phone"?

Old 09-19-2017, 09:15 PM

997 posts, read 705,553 times
Yes I have a landline. It is more reliable than my cell phone in terms of call clarity. Lots of business recognize you by your phone number you called in on, like a credit card.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:30 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,179,935 times
Yes, we have a land line.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:43 PM

44,559 posts, read 61,304,789 times
Our land line is used about 98% of the time. Cell is primarily for emergencies in vehicle.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:57 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,536,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Where did I say you "can't have a real business unless I trade it all for a cell phone"?
Right here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Some people work from home and need their portable computers. Yup, there are plenty of retired folks who work...some even work full time....how they're retired, I'll never understand.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:45 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,527,125 times
Got rid of the one in our Arizona winter home. The one in our main residence is now a fax line for my wife's business. All personal calls are now on our smart phones. My wife did get a second land line installed, but it's strictly a business line.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:06 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,736,829 times
Quote:
I'm 74, but I'm not retired. I have three phone lines, a computer with a large screen and large keyboard, a printer, fax, copier, and a credit card terminal. However, you think that I can't have a real business unless I trade it all for a cell phone?

I'm not trying to be the most envied boy in high school. I just wish to make money.
I worked remotely for 3 years from my cabin in the woods of Washington, all without a land line. I did conference calls on my cell phone and my VPN back to the main office was over long-range broadband wireless. It worked great.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:10 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,527,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
We dropped our landline when we started snowbirding, it was an expense we didn't need. Making the switch to just cell phones only was easy, but it was a hard decision to make after having the same number for >32 years.

The only issue I have is with internet providers that try to force me into a triple play package when I only want basic channels (for now) and internet. They need to get with the times.
Too late for you, but you can port a home number over to a cell phone number. I did it once when you could first do it. I was the first one for my carrier at the time, so it took them a while to get it all right. But easy enough to do today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement