Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 02:46 PM

121 posts, read 75,667 times

Advertisements

As there is a thread about worst jobs , it is only right we start the reserve thread about what has been our best job so what has been the best job you have ever had in your career?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 02:49 PM

888 posts, read 890,626 times
Self-employed business owner.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:52 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,392,721 times
Well, Ok. I have a job that has high physical demands, the pay is excellent, benefits and pension great, generous sick time, flexible work schedule. While strenuous, its the easiest job ive ever had. Plus I usually have about 3 hours to myself! 18 years in, a couple more to go and were sailing off into the sunset!

Old 07-25-2017, 09:56 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,572,861 times
What do you do?

Old 07-25-2017, 10:10 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,594,864 times
Air National Guard C-130 loadmaster. Flew all over world and got paid for it. And got an extra retirement out of it. Our motto...Wheels up, heels up.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:26 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,579,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borninsac View Post
Self-employed business owner.
ditto

Old 07-26-2017, 03:08 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,572,861 times
Best job? Retired stay-at-home dog mom! But I would have to also say that my first duty station in the Navy was the best actual ''job'' of all. It was the people I worked with and for at a small command that made it so special. We all kept in touch for years and most of them are long gone. Some dead, some retired. Good times, good people, good memories. Nothing after was ever better.

Last edited by HappyDogToday; 07-26-2017 at 04:23 AM..

Old 07-26-2017, 04:19 AM

7,192 posts, read 9,329,700 times
When I was 19, I worked as a mechanic assembling and dis-assembling developmental gas turbine engines for AirResearch (now Honeywell).

These are the engines used in the APUs (auxiliary power units) on aircraft such as the Boeing 747. While the aircraft is parked, this engine provides the power to run the air conditioning, and generate the electricity on board.

I learned to read blueprints, I learned the assembly sequence, and I learned from the engineers about the materials, the tolerances, and the performance objectives. They let me build the engines from a cart of parts and I got to hook them up in a test cell and run them at full power. I absolutely loved the job and I couldn't believe that they were actually paying me!

Old 07-26-2017, 05:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
I had several jobs I liked, but I guess the one that stands out the most was being a travel agent. Did it pay well? Heck no and the first company I worked for were slave drivers to say the least. Loved the job, hated the boss, but even then, it is a feel good job. You are helping people be happy. What is more fun than that? Of sure, there are crappy clients and those who come back yelling and screaming about everything, but for the most part people enjoy their vacations. Many give their travel agent credit for a good experience.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:18 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,116,996 times
In my case it was not what I did but the company I worked for. That company was highly technical and the 4 founders also had a good business philosophy. They prided themselves and the company on being at the leading edge and providing the highest possible quality. The company was managed by the team of founders and the technical staff. As a result the company was very successful, had loyal customers and commanded premium prices. After 20 some years the company continued to do well with steady profits and steady growth. When I joined the founders had already cashed out and most had retired. The new owners did not micromanage or change the company and the future looked endlessly bright. Unfortunately it all ended quickly. The new owners decided to cash out because the rest of their company was doing poorly and they needed to pay dividends. The next group of owners decided to manage the company. They literally killed it in under 2 years and it was sold again to competitors who closed it down.

Everywhere else I worked the companies were managed by business and sales people in typical Dilbert fashion with management who got some things right but basically never understood the technical products/services. I was relegated to the technical and operational side of the company and never again was invited or allowed to be involved in the true business areas. I continued to have a successful career that was often enjoyable. Even so I cannot begin to imagine the career I would have had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement