Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 02:36 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,135,358 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if any of our retired expats have been affected by the Mexico earthquake yesterday. Anyone hear anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 02:51 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,531,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
Just wondering if any of our retired expats have been affected by the Mexico earthquake yesterday. Anyone hear anything?
I am not affected, nor is anyone I know. I did notice the style of the title to your post, however. I have seen that in the media, they no longer refer to events that happen in countries as Mexican, Chinese, Brazilian, or what ever with the name of the country as an adjective. The form now seems to be in to format of your actual post, "Mexico Earthquake."
Is that a change in the rules of the AP handbook, or just a new PC construct?

Old 09-20-2017, 05:08 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,135,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
I am not affected, nor is anyone I know. I did notice the style of the title to your post, however. I have seen that in the media, they no longer refer to events that happen in countries as Mexican, Chinese, Brazilian, or what ever with the name of the country as an adjective. The form now seems to be in to format of your actual post, "Mexico Earthquake."
I don't know but I didn't mean any offence either way. Glad you are ok.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:15 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,449,948 times
One guy I know had his mom in Mexico City. He finally got hold of her and all is well but no power. Another guy had family further south but no problems.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:08 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,585,544 times
I thought it made more sense when you initially called it Mexico Earthquake before you or someone changed it.

The NY Times is calling it Mexico Earthquake. (at least in one of their reports)

I think calling it Mexican Earthquake makes no sense.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
<>The NY Times is calling it Mexico Earthquake. (at least in one of their reports)
I think calling it Mexican Earthquake makes no sense.
I agree. I was just musing and wondering if it was an official style book thing. I'll wander over to "writing" and investigate.
"Mexican Earthquake sounds like a drink involving tequila and Kahlua with raisins in it."

Old 09-20-2017, 06:15 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,116,207 times
Horrific event for sure. I can't even imagine.

But as we know, Maria is bearing down again, wiped Puerto Rico out pretty much.

I love living in NY.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:15 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,585,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post

I have seen that in the media, they no longer refer to events that happen in countries as Mexican, Chinese, Brazilian, or what ever with the name of the country as an adjective. The form now seems to be in to format of your actual post, "Mexico Earthquake."
Why was the title of this thread changed from Mexico Earthquake to Mexican Earthquake?

When I initially saw this thread it was called Mexico Earthquake.

The correct usage is Mexico Earthquake.

Last edited by matisse12; 09-20-2017 at 06:32 PM..

Old 09-20-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Why was the title of this thread changed from Mexico Earthquake to Mexican Earthquake?

When I initially saw this thread it was called Mexico Earthquake.

The correct usage is Mexico Earthquake.
I don't think it was changed. The title is "Mexican" the first sentence is "Mexico" which I agree is correct. I was curious if there was an official AP style standard so I went over to "Writing" to pursue that question.
"Bye"

Old 09-21-2017, 06:40 PM

3,976 posts, read 1,992,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
I live on the southwest side of Mexico City near the top of a 14 story high rise. It rattled us good, we had many items broken in the house, but nobody hurt. My car was parked downtown where I still work, and a wall collapsed next to it. A bunch of dents and a flat tire. Many others have it worse for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement