Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 02:47 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times

Advertisements

I always believed I knew how I would adjust to retirement before I retired and I was absolutely right. Freedom to do what I want when I want is the best thing for me. I don't mind having idle time, I either fill it up or not. Whatever I feel like doing. I don't feel the need to fill every hour of the day, that's too much like my former work schedule when I had too much to keep me busy and then on weekends squeeze in what had to be done whether it was chores, or play.

I didn't plan on any activities for retirement prior to retiring. I just figured I would gravitate towards what I wanted to do when the time came and that's just what happened. If it weren't for my crappy health, I would say these past few years in which I have been retired have been some of the best years of my life so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 04:45 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I would say these past few years in which I have been retired have been some of the best years of my life so far.
Finally - after eight years of retirement - I would have to agree. So glad the rat race is behind me. Took me a long, long time to get out of work/I must be productive mindset, however. Finally, too, I no longer worry about money. Now I sleep late, or not, schedule very little. Enjoy the good things. Health is fine. Weather here today is a sunny, gorgeous fall day - low 60's - perfect for me. All doors and windows are open, I'm watching TV and surfing the net. I deserve this.

Old 09-29-2017, 04:51 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
Yes, many of us double timed it for years. I love getting to sit down when I am tired. We do our time at the aquatics center which basically has about anything you might want to do. We have named that our "pill" that we take just like other medications. Some days it is fun and some days it is a "pill" but it keeps the blood flowing and the muscles in good order. One lady calls it her new job. I like that.

There are so many wonderful people there every time we go. I have noticed a newly singled person spends many hours there. We all try to keep up their spirit while they adjust to being without their life partner. There is even a senior singles group that takes trips, goes to movies and other activities with each other. We have not moved and I love where we live. I also like going on vacations too.

Last edited by NCN; 09-29-2017 at 05:02 PM..

Old 09-29-2017, 06:01 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,938,111 times
I am retired..No getting up early, fighting traffic to get to work.. No crappy bosses or coworkers.. No long days or having to come in when you are ill.. So what's NOT to like???

Old 09-29-2017, 09:08 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
It's not really the nature of boards to have a bunch of people make threads to say how great everything is.... it does happen thought.

People make threads about things they need help with, and it's not usually "I just won 5 million and I really am unsure what to spend it on."

Plus, if one continually makes threads "I LOVE how I look", "Man, am I in great shape!", etc. it's kinda obnoxious.

Ironically, your first post is a criticism/complaint.

In general everything is great. /shrug

I'm happy.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-29-2017, 09:30 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
I am retired..No getting up early, fighting traffic to get to work.. No crappy bosses or coworkers.. No long days or having to come in when you are ill.. So what's NOT to like???
ditto ditto ditto

If I could change one thing, it would be NO nasty arthritis.

Old 09-30-2017, 08:58 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
So I stumbled across C-D while researching beach towns to retire to and while I find it really informative, I also find it a little.... depressing.

It seems like forum wide we are some unhappy campers, whether stressing over whether or not we'll end up in a nursing home (is that all we worry about approaching retirement) to the price of deli meat.

lol, the irony that I'm whining about whining is not lost on this gal.

Anyhoo,

What's GOOD in your life today?? In the interest of full disclosure, I am one of those annoying people in your office that is happy before everyone has their morning coffee. take it slow, lol start with a little thing.

I'll start it off..

The weather in PHiladelphia where I live has been BEAUTIFUL for the last couple of day. still summer like but not oppressive. I walked to the gym and back yesterday.
"Come on," OP to quote the beginning of your title. I hope in reading many of these answers you will not be so depressed about how other people are handling their retirement years.

You will find "unhappy campers" posting in every forum. The Retirement Form doesn't have a lock on this. There is no need to "whine" about (again your word) how others live their lives.

I urge you to peruse through other threads on this forum for ideas and suggestions as to what retired people here are doing to keep themselves happy in their retirement. Maybe it will inspire you to see what an interesting and diverse group this is.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:48 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times
We retired last year and so far we've had a great time. We are finally getting to do the traveling we dreamed of, seeing more of our family and found a great place to spend the winter and avoid the cold.

Old 09-30-2017, 11:47 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
So I stumbled across C-D while researching beach towns to retire to and while I find it really informative, I also find it a little.... depressing.

It seems like forum wide we are some unhappy campers, whether stressing over whether or not we'll end up in a nursing home (is that all we worry about approaching retirement) to the price of deli meat.

lol, the irony that I'm whining about whining is not lost on this gal.

Anyhoo,

What's GOOD in your life today?? In the interest of full disclosure, I am one of those annoying people in your office that is happy before everyone has their morning coffee. take it slow, lol start with a little thing.

I'll start it off..

The weather in PHiladelphia where I live has been BEAUTIFUL for the last couple of day. still summer like but not oppressive. I walked to the gym and back yesterday.
Ha! Funny OP.

Lots of good things in my life today:

1. The weather is GORGEOUS. Already been outside quite a bit, and ate lunch outside too for that matter. There's something about eating outside that makes food taste better!

2. My husband and I just finished a lot of household and outdoor projects so this weekend we're enjoying our outdoor living area and I think we'll be able to build a fire in the fire pit tonight - WOOHOO!!!

3. Just bought airline tickets to go see family up in Ohio in a few weeks. OK - fall weather is nice just about everywhere in the US in October, but it's really hard to beat Ohio in October. So I've got something nice to look forward to over the next few weeks.

I just noticed that everything I wrote about had something to do with being outside. YES. The only reason I'm inside right now is because I'm waiting on the dang cable guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi8VRp0msUo

Old 09-30-2017, 05:01 PM

209 posts, read 417,452 times
The weather today is beautiful, we have all we NEED, and the little old dog we adopted yesterday is getting along with our other dog. Life is pretty good at our house!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement