Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 02:46 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,870,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I'm 5'9.5" and have never ever had "oodles of room" for my legs in economy. Just the opposite.
I'm 5'6" and I've never had an opportunity to use the word "oodles" when describing leg room in coach. I use words like "ow-ow-ow-ow" when someone slams their seat back into my knees. I also use words that would be censored on City-Data when I lose all the feeling in my legs halfway into an 8 hour flight. I've had legs that felt like "noodles" when I finally got out of the plane. But "oodles"? Nope.

I have a flight coming up in a few months that will consist of two eight-hour segments with a 2-hour layover in between. I plan to do a lot of walking in the plane and some power walking at the transit airport. I probably won't be saying "oodles" then, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 02:59 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
I'm 5'6" and I've never had an opportunity to use the word "oodles" when describing leg room in coach. I use words like "ow-ow-ow-ow" when someone slams their seat back into my knees. I also use words that would be censored on City-Data when I lose all the feeling in my legs halfway into an 8 hour flight. I've had legs that felt like "noodles" when I finally got out of the plane. But "oodles"? Nope.

I have a flight coming up in a few months that will consist of two eight-hour segments with a 2-hour layover in between. I plan to do a lot of walking in the plane and some power walking at the transit airport. I probably won't be saying "oodles" then, either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post

Sure, I understand. I guess I was more countierng the poster's contention that it would cost 10 to20k to fly to Europe. I am flying to Bangkok in Nov. for $750 RT from SFO. A buddy of mine is 6 ft 2 and over 220 and flies a class in between business and economy (I fly economy and at 5 ft 10 have oodles of room) and says he has a ton of room and lt costs him about $1000 RT.
Jamary1,
I would never use the word "oodles" or the phrase "oodles of room" (it's not in my vocabulary), but Burkmere used the word "oodles" in his post above, and I was disputing his claim of 'oodles of room' as not being in my experience.

Last edited by matisse12; 09-29-2017 at 04:27 PM..

Old 09-29-2017, 03:31 PM

2,103 posts, read 1,932,596 times
Here is my reply from Montignac, France:

I'm 65 and husband 70. We love to travel. There is nothing that can replace actual travel, of being at a place in person like what we experienced today at Font de Gaume and Ruffignac caves today.

Someday we may not be strong or healthy enough to take long or physically demanding trips but never too old to travel, to see and do new things.

I don't think I will ever feel that I have been there, done that although we rarely visit the same city or country twice. This is the second time we are in France but we visited different museums in Paris and are spending most of our trip in southern France (wine touring in Bordeaux, seeing cave arts in Dordogne then visiting art museums in Albi, Arles, Nice, hiking in mid Pyrenees, shore bird watching and some Southern coastal driving to Italy border).

We fly coach with frequent flyer miles earned through credit cards or bargain deals. We stay at budget or moderately priced hotels in big cities and B&B in small towns. We eat free or cheap breakfast, make lunches from grocery store purchases. We treat ourselves to nice restaurant dinners every other day alternating with dinners from grocery purchases. Tonight, we had a very nice Bergerac red wine to go with baguette, charcuterie, cheese, fruits and fresh vegetables for about $20. Our daily expenses for car rental, gas, foods, drink, lodging and admission fees are between $150 and $200.

We travel light with one carry on and one small back pack each. No checked in luggages means less hassle travel. Sturdy and well fitted hiking/walking shoes means no troubles with long walks or hikes.

This morning we met 2 couples in their late 50's or early 60's who bike 20 miles to the cave. We also saw few seniors in wheel chairs visiting museums. I would love to tour Europe in a bike but accept the fact that my husband's biking days are over with his bad back. I'm quite thankful that he has recovered well enough to walk 3 to 4 miles a day. I hope that we would not have to travel in wheel chairs but would not rule out pushing my husband around in a not too distant future. Have wheels, will travel !

Old 09-29-2017, 04:37 PM

16,078 posts, read 10,738,506 times
Frankly, I moved to the place I always wanted to live so travel means I have to leave. The sun rises, the sun sets, it is beautiful all day, the night sky is gorgeous, the climate is perfect, I have friends and things to do that I like. I do travel some but enjoy not travelling more unless I'm doing something I can't do at home. It doesn't have much to do with age.

Old 09-29-2017, 04:41 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,301,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Jamary1,
I would never use the word "oodles" or the phrase "oodles of room" (it's not in my vocabulary), but Burkmere used the word "oodles" in his post above, and I was disputing his claim of 'oodles of room' as not being in my experience.
Yes, you are right. Oodles, was a poor choice. "Adequate" would have been adequate. Again, some places have Economy plus, etc. But seriously, I'm 5 ft 10 and never had any issues other than the fatties sitting next to me.

I could see if you are 6 ft 2 or whatever that leg room could be an issue.

Old 09-29-2017, 04:48 PM

769 posts, read 782,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Sure, I understand. I guess I was more countierng the poster's contention that it would cost 10 to20k to fly to Europe. I am flying to Bangkok in Nov. for $750 RT from SFO. A buddy of mine is 6 ft 2 and over 220 and flies a class in between business and economy (I fly economy and at 5 ft 10 have oodles of room) and says he has a ton of room and lt costs him about $1000 RT.
Well, I just checked fares from DFW to my family's hometown in Europe. Average business class fare for a reasonable (12 hours one way) itinerary RT is $10000. Cheapest is $5000 (only on a few days).
Last week I was in Shanghai. Business class was $12000 RT.

I was extrapolating to my retirement age. If LH charges $10k in 2017, chances are it'll be around $20k or more in 2038.

I did fly back from Shanghai in AA's new premium economy. It's tolerable but my point was that, addressing the threads topic, that flying is either extremely uncomfortable or SUPER expensive. And while the in between class is tolerable it still is a far cry from a comfy flight experience.

Old 09-29-2017, 05:07 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,301,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by octo View Post
Well, I just checked fares from DFW to my family's hometown in Europe. Average business class fare for a reasonable (12 hours one way) itinerary RT is $10000. Cheapest is $5000 (only on a few days).
Last week I was in Shanghai. Business class was $12000 RT.

I was extrapolating to my retirement age. If LH charges $10k in 2017, chances are it'll be around $20k or more in 2038.

I did fly back from Shanghai in AA's new premium economy. It's tolerable but my point was that, addressing the threads topic, that flying is either extremely uncomfortable or SUPER expensive. And while the in between class is tolerable it still is a far cry from a comfy flight experience.

I never had a problem with the 13 hour flight to Taipei, the two hour layover and the four hour flight to Bangkok...never had a problem ever on any plane with legroom at 5 ft 10. Of course, you should get up and walk and do exercises, etc. Maybe get in shape before you fly, etc. Just saying....but then I grew up on a farm in South Dakota and worked hard as a youth and though college outside and in environments a lot more difficult than sitting in an airplane seat, so I'm probably a little tougher and less likely to notice and complain about things than most...

Luckily, as far as I know , there's no law that requires folks to fly. So rather than experience a little unpleasantness, might be better to stay home. Lots of good Netflix on now! Ozarks is pretty good!! Oh, and House of Cards! Much cheaper than flying and you can have alll the legroom you want unless there's some restrictions in hour household.

OK, just randomly picked two dates in April from San Fran to Shanghai...$1300 in Elite which has a lot of legroom...on EVA....if you pay me the $4,000, which will save you at least six thousand, if not more based on the 10k to 20k figure you are quoting me, I'll book it for you...

You can probably easily find something much cheaper as I just picked two random dates in April and random flights....

Wednesday, April 04, 2018

00:45 San Francisco(SFO)
12:05 +1 day Shanghai(PVG)
Total duration 20:20, 1 stop
Booking Class P
Fare type Elite Special
Flight 2Wednesday, April 11, 2018 Wednesday, April 11, 2018

13:10 Shanghai(PVG)
16:00 San Francisco(SFO)
Total duration 17:50, 1 stop
Booking Class P
Fare type Elite Special
TOTAL
USD1,310.12
Base Fare & Fuel Surcharge USD1,234.00
Taxes and Charges USD76.12
Total for all travelers (including optional Service, taxes/fees and all ca

Last edited by Burkmere; 09-29-2017 at 06:31 PM..

Old 09-30-2017, 07:27 AM

12,846 posts, read 9,045,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Sigh. Am I wrong to think that back in the 50's, most people (guys anyway) understood at least cars and airplanes better than they do now? Or is that a fiction, carried on by various old movies and TV shows?
People really did. Computer and phone technology has exploded so much that people assume everything else has the same capacity to double every 18 months. Plus, you used to be able to understand cars mechanically. Now there are several layers of computers between you and the vehicle.

On the other hand, back to the premise of 3000 MPH travel. Hypersonics. Just have to solve a couple of little problems called propulsion (SCRAMJET), and a tiny little thing with heat (keeping the plane from melting). Other than that, ...

Old 09-30-2017, 07:34 AM

12,846 posts, read 9,045,657 times
Why would I not want to travel as much? Well, first off, I can still remember when flying was a pleasure. Today, I just don't want to put up with the hassle to be crammed into too small a seat with no ability to move alongside the other sardines. I'd rather ride troop seats in a 141 than some of the airline seats today.

My other reason, is what would I be traveling for? By the end of the work week, I'm so worn out with other people's problems that the only travel I'd want to do is to mountains and not see another soul and the only culture is agriculture.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:57 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,073,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
I'm still active, in my early 70s, travel all over the US for part-time work that I do but people are always telling me to travel before I get too old to do it or enjoy the experience. I also find among my peers that even before their physical strength fails and prevents them traveling, they seem to lose interest in straying too far from home or just are apathetic about the whole travel experience, seeing new things etc. Are others finding the same thing as well? What do you think some of the reasons for this may be?
Everyone ages differently so there's no general answer or guideline.
You'll know when it's time to settle down. Your body and mind will tell you "it's time".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement