Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 08:23 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
You may be confusing AGI with Taxable Income. AGI is the bottom of the first page of the Form 1040. The second page is where you deduct for the standard or itemized deductions and the personal exemption. Reducing AGI would be nice as it is the basis for ACA subsidies, when the higher Medicare Part B premiums kick in, etc. But the only way I can figure out to reduce AGI, without taxable investments and a Roth IRA for income, is to contribute to a Health Savings Account (HSA).

I may be paying $500-1000 more in taxes under the Trump Tax Plan. My current deductions for state tax and property tax and the personal exemption are a few thousand more than the new proposed standard deduction for single filers. But I don't know enough about the specifics of the plan to be sure. If the HSA contribution limit goes up, as was part of the initial plan, I could come out ahead but that contribution will end when I turn 65.
But don't you have to be working to contribute to HSA--or just not on Medicare?

Old 10-15-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Can this so called tax "reform" be rammed through the Senate with a simple majority, called a "reconciliation" or do they need the 60 votes to break a filibuster?
(Sometimes it seems that only Democrat initiatives need 60 votes and Republicans get everything through on just 51.)
60 votes I believe cause of the timing (I think part of the 51 vote mandate lapses end of October) and because of the legislation effects the budget process itself...which is not just a reconciliation type of decision process...

Which proves Trump and most in his Cabinet are just in LaLa Land w/o Ryan Gosling to make its effect palatable
After the twice failed health care "repeal" I think they (The GOP) are just drinking the koolaid of forgetfulness...
Paul Ryan thinks he will be OK because of superior numbers in the House but the Senate is a different beast
If both Houses can't agree and work some revision BOTH parties can live with then any meaningful legislation is doomed...
And from what I hear, Democrats are almost willing to do nothing and foist all that negativity back on the GOP in 2018...as part of their campaign strategy...
Not saying it will work like they think---likely to backfire and allow even more alt-right GOP winners if gerrymandering is not reversed in Supreme Court before primaries/elections...

Old 10-15-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
If I were to make the statement that $68,000 a year was low income for a family of four, how would many in the forum react?
A. Agree
B. That is crazy
C. Not sure
D. Who cares

For many based on their state data A is correct: Before anyone goes ballistic here is the data:

Here's how much you can earn and still qualify as low-income in N.J. | NJ.com

$63,050
I don't think that is crazy--that 68K is low--certainly lower-- income for family of 4===especially if there are kids w/special needs or depending on the ages of the kids...
Family with high school students who have part time jobs and have cars--have extra insurance needs and expenses---
And most kids can't earn enough working part time to pay for ALL their personal expenses like cars, phones, clothing, extra curricular activities if they do sports or have a dating life...
Especially after take home pay...
And I live in TX where there is no state income tax...

Old 10-15-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
The middle class overwhelmingly will benefit and will have more money to spend to grow jobs and the economy.
Just like in Kansas...yeah...

Old 10-16-2017, 07:08 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/16/whit...form-plan.html

Quote:
The White House releases its first economic analysis of the Republican tax plan, projecting that the goal of reducing the corporate tax rate to 20 percent will result in a windfall for workers.
White House chief economist Kevin Hassett says the average U.S. household income would jump at least $4,000 a year but could rise as much as $9,000 annually.
Other economists and tax analysts have balked at those numbers, disputing the connection between changes in corporate tax rates and worker wages.
Quote:
The report from White House chief economist Kevin Hassett projects that the GOP goal of reducing the corporate tax rate from 35 to 20 percent will result in a windfall for workers. Hassett predicts average U.S. household income would jump at least $4,000 a year but could rise as much as $9,000 annually.
Those benefits, the analysis said, would start kicking in about four years after the tax plan was enacted and reach fruition after seven years. In a call with reporters, Hassett also suggested that the plan could deliver the 3 percent economic growth rate that President Donald Trump has long promised. But he cautioned that lawmakers would have to fill in the details before any analysis could be completed
I highlighted the statement that AVERAGE U.S. income would rise $4,000 a year not middle class families. So if the wealthy get a very large tax break that raises the average and if the lower class and lower middle get none the average household income would go up.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:08 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,089,626 times
So, what "tax loophole" are the Republicans going after but the EIC, the credit for low income workers with children (usually?)
Proposal to do away with earned income tax credit moves forward | KFOR.com

Old 10-16-2017, 08:13 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times
Quote:
So, what "tax loophole" are the Republicans going after but the EIC, the credit for low income workers with children (usually?)
Sounds good to their base who either know better and will profit or who don’t know better but it sounds like nail the coastal elite.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:20 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
That's just for Oklahoma, several states have their own EITC program.

https://okpolicy.org/earned-income-tax-credit/

Old 10-16-2017, 10:46 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,089,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That's just for Oklahoma, several states have their own EITC program.

https://okpolicy.org/earned-income-tax-credit/

It's a Federal Tax credit, sleepy.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:52 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
It's a Federal Tax credit, sleepy.
Let's try this again. 26 states have their own STATE version of the federal EITC. You would have known that if you had clicked on the link that I provided. Let's try another link, please take a few minutes to read it:

"An earned income tax credit (EITC) is designed to help low- to moderate-income working people get ahead. The federal tax credit was enacted in 1975 and made permanent in 1978. Twenty-six states and the District of Columbia also have earned income tax credits. This report describes the federal and state earned income tax credits, answers common questions about them and provides examples of how to help working people find and use free tax preparation services.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/labor-a...-families.aspx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement