Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 05:59 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times

Advertisements

The Future of Retirement Is Margaritaville

Is the Jimmy Buffet brand name getting more popular? It would seem that Buffet has not been idle. He has been marketing his brand to 55+ communities. My first thought on it was "The Villages" in FL, but you could put that sort of free love and carefree attitudes.

It is just a interesting read from a Bloomberg reporter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 11:11 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,080,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post

Is the Jimmy Buffet brand name getting more popular? It would seem that Buffet has not been idle. He has been marketing his brand to 55+ communities. My first thought on it was "The Villages" in FL, but you could put that sort of free love and carefree attitudes.

Don't laugh, but I have taken an interest in this community. I am by no stretch of the imagination a Parrot Head, but I like the idea that this will be not a golf but a golf cart community that will also include a retail area similar to The Villages but on a much smaller scale around 6000 homes. And for me the best perk this community will have is it's private stretch of beach on Daytona along with complimentary shuttle service to it.

Having lived in the Ocean State my entire 60 years, for me to consider relocation in retirement it has to be within a short drive to a body of salt water especially now since when I came home from work yesterday to my great surprise there sitting in my driveway was a gently used 17 ft Boston Whaler. According to Mr. Nightengale the boat is an early retirement gift for me. I'd say really early since I won't be retiring for another 6 years.

Old 09-30-2017, 04:12 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
Don't laugh, but I have taken an interest in this community. I am by no stretch of the imagination a Parrot Head, but I like the idea that this will be not a golf but a golf cart community that will also include a retail area similar to The Villages but on a much smaller scale around 6000 homes. And for me the best perk this community will have is it's private stretch of beach on Daytona along with complimentary shuttle service to it.

Having lived in the Ocean State my entire 60 years, for me to consider relocation in retirement it has to be within a short drive to a body of salt water especially now since when I came home from work yesterday to my great surprise there sitting in my driveway was a gently used 17 ft Boston Whaler. According to Mr. Nightengale the boat is an early retirement gift for me. I'd say really early since I won't be retiring for another 6 years.
I am sooooooooo jealous. Mrs Oldsoldier don't like the ocean so I would never be able to buy a boat of any decent size to go in the ocean.

Old 10-01-2017, 08:15 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,080,023 times
Quote:
I am sooooooooo jealous. Mrs Oldsoldier don't like the ocean so I would never be able to buy a boat of any decent size to go in the ocean.
I can understand how Mrs. OS feels, being out in the ocean with no land in sight can be a frightening experience for many individuals. I think we all have things that frighten us that for others they would not blink an eye over. For me it is snakes, and that being said not so sure how well I would do in Margaritaville which is being built in heavy snake territory unless I self medicate away my fears with margaritas.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:18 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky...

Though the Mr. liked the ocean well enough, he didn't have salt water in his veins. I went there plenty of times on my own. I don't think he ever really understood.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:32 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,417 times
I also love the ocean. Haven't been there in a long time.

I'm supposed to drive to NC to visit a friend in Charlotte in late November, but I am very tempted to cancel that one out and head for the ocean. I really need a "fix" of those waves, etc.

Gerania: What place is good to visit the ocean in late November? It sounds like you have gone to many places.

Old 10-03-2017, 03:37 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Just looking at the ocean is so soothing. We've been here a year now, and I never tire of it. Don't even have the desire to travel, as this "does it" for me. Maybe in the future....

We don't even boat or swim in it (loaded with jellyfish) but I am content to just sit next to it and contemplate. So mesmerizing.

Margaritas help too. Going to go to "Trivia" shortly (dumb people's "Jeopardy") and have a few....

I admire Jimmy Buffett, able to make a "brand" out of his name....and basically, one song!

Old 10-03-2017, 04:56 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:

Doesn't he actually own a retirement community called Margaritavlle?

(singing)
why don't they go somewhere and get a freaking job?
lying on their *** annoys me like ****
some people claim that they are just lazy bums
and I say it's totally their fault

Old 10-03-2017, 05:00 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I also love the ocean. Haven't been there in a long time.

I'm supposed to drive to NC to visit a friend in Charlotte in late November, but I am very tempted to cancel that one out and head for the ocean. I really need a "fix" of those waves, etc.

Gerania: What place is good to visit the ocean in late November? It sounds like you have gone to many places.

When I lived in Long Beach (NY, not CA!) there were surfers in wet suits all winter. I thought they were nuts but they thought the ocean was a fine place to visit in late November.

Old 10-03-2017, 05:15 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
When I lived in Long Beach (NY, not CA!) there were surfers in wet suits all winter. I thought they were nuts but they thought the ocean was a fine place to visit in late November.

So they do in SoCal too. The water is like 55....they surf all year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement