Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 04:23 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziq38 View Post

I don't think he is being completely unreasonable.

If I truly loved him, I would stay, as the situation is not a dire one. I would just keep in mind his "every man for himself" attitude and pay for my own insurance. Your son is getting older. He will soon be out of the house.

You have a very strange view of what a marriage should be as you support his "every man for himself" attitude
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 06:10 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,019,984 times
My response to your husband would have been "Honey, Wisconsin is a Community Property state. You can either pay for my insurance now or pay for my medical bills later. Your choice."

Old 10-09-2017, 11:33 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,839,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
My response to your husband would have been "Honey, Wisconsin is a Community Property state. You can either pay for my insurance now or pay for my medical bills later. Your choice."
Yep, that is basically what I told the spouse last week.

I get that my spouse only has so much money, etc. So, I am not "expecting" my spouse to just foot the entire bill. What I did not appreciate the "so sad, too bad you'll be without health insurance" attitude.

Communication is the key. Oh, and some reminders that we are in this together.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:43 PM

535 posts, read 343,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
You have a very strange view of what a marriage should be as you support his "every man for himself" attitude
I have a strange view of Second marriages where no children were involved.
Not just strange, reality. They married when she was in her 40's and he was in his 50's. No children.
From how she describes their finances, as far as who pay what, he views the income as separate. If not, maybe she can clarify. Not everyone has separate finances after all of these years.

I would not marry again. Convenient for me to say, since I am much older than the OP. I am 61.

The second and third marriages later in life are easy to get into, but difficult to get out of.

Yes, I have a jaded view as I have seen such marriages break up and for nice people to get hurt late in life.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:44 PM

535 posts, read 343,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I like your "style." Good comeback.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:59 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
At 66, he has earned the right to retire. You want him to work longer just so you will have insurance? I have seen too many people put off retirement and then never get to enjoy it because they die. Figure out a way to get insurance and let the man enjoy retirement while he can.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:06 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,839,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
At 66, he has earned the right to retire. You want him to work longer just so you will have insurance? I have seen too many people put off retirement and then never get to enjoy it because they die. Figure out a way to get insurance and let the man enjoy retirement while he can.

Another person that didn't read the whole thread.
Try not to judge until you get all the info. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement