Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 09:50 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,839,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtondo View Post
Start looking for a spouse that has a pension and health insurance. People that love you want to take care of you and protect you. Just saying.....
Yes, my spouse does have a pension. And your right that people that love you should want to take care of you. But, at this point, this being my second marriage and I am already almost 56, hell if I want to start over. I do love this person but damn!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
Wow. Now would be a good time to check into the Affordable Care Act plans and subsidies;

Eligibility for Tax Credits
In general, you may be eligible for credits if you:

buy health insurance through the Marketplace;
are ineligible for coverage through an employer or government plan;
are within certain income limits;
file a joint return, if married; and
cannot be claimed as a dependent by another person.

I also believe that it is possible to file married filing separately and qualify for subsidies. You will have to do some research.

https://obamacarefacts.com/obamacare-subsidies/
Thank you so much LookingatFL. Very helpful advise and I will look into this asap!!

Old 09-30-2017, 09:54 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
I am almost 56. We do not have kids together. My son's father carries him on his policy.
My spouse will be 66 in May so will be going on Medicare.

and yeah, I am not happy about this either. Although it is no surprise that my spouse is this selfish.....after being together for 15 years now and married for 11 of those years I keep hoping that that part would change but that is just me being an optimist.
Oh no CindyRoo - it is only going to get worse. Get out now while you are still young.

The second marriage is always just a trial marriage anyway =

The third is the keeper!

Old 09-30-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
While your spouse does sound a bit insensitive, or at least that is how you are conveying it, why do you think he OWES you health insurance, or anything for that matter? I though marriages were a partnership. We all sometimes have to do things we don't want, nor like. You may have to find another job, or at least pay for a group plan.

Wasn't Obamacare supposed to fix all this?
Yes, my spouse is insensitive on certain subjects. Why do I think spouse OWES me this? Well, at one time when I had a different job I was the one who had the health insurance and covering us both because mine was cheaper. Also, I guess I'm old school and when I married this person they promised me that I would always be taken care of in all ways, including financially.

Some people forget these promises they make apparently........

Old 09-30-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
You should be able to look up costs and information for your options under Obamacare. Here is a link to get you started.

https://www.healthcare.gov/get-cover...tate=wisconsin
Thank you!!

Old 09-30-2017, 10:09 AM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Wow, that sucks. I can't imagine a spouse doing this to another. Was there any discussion on retirement before and how things would work? Do you share finances?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-30-2017, 10:10 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
Yes, my spouse is insensitive on certain subjects. Why do I think spouse OWES me this? Well, at one time when I had a different job I was the one who had the health insurance and covering us both because mine was cheaper. Also, I guess I'm old school and when I married this person they promised me that I would always be taken care of in all ways, including financially.

Some people forget these promises they make apparently........
yea - but it is your second - weren't there promises also made in the first?

I've been married twice - never again. Well never say never.....

Old 09-30-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Oh no CindyRoo - it is only going to get worse. Get out now while you are still young.

The second marriage is always just a trial marriage anyway =

The third is the keeper!

My mother was married 4 different times. The last time she got married (15 years ago) I said "Mom, I can't come to any more of your weddings". LOL
Anyway, I don't want to get divorced.

I know a relationship is over when you can answer "No" to this question:

"Will I miss them if we divorce?"

Anyway, I did not want to tell you all my whole life story as that would probably bore the crap out of everyone. However, I sacrificed allot of my own personal happiness to make my spouse happy (those that know me know my story or you could look at other posts if your curious) and when something like this insurance thing comes up and my spouse has this kind of attitude about it, it really makes me burn.

Old 09-30-2017, 10:16 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
2) Join the 15m / yr getting medical care in a foreign country https://patientsbeyondborders.com/.
You've made this recommendation on multiple occasions to numerous people. Just out of curiosity, if her child wakes up one morning with a fever of 105, what exactly is she supposed to do? Call an airline and purchase a couple of tickets to Mexico or some other foreign country? Or if she has a stroke, a heart attack, or an accident and is bleeding profusely, does she call 911 and then tell the paramedics to take her to the airport instead of the nearest hospital?

Exactly how does your recommendation to get medical care in a foreign country work when you're having a medical emergency here in the U.S.?

Old 09-30-2017, 10:16 AM

731 posts, read 768,164 times
OP: You're in a tough situation. You have a whole lot of life a head of you. You may want to consider your choices. Knew a woman that was 55 and was ready to leave her husband. She never did. They remained in a bad marriage until the day he passed in his 80's. Now in her 80's she's just starting to live her life. Sad...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement