Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 05:12 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times

Advertisements

It seems like we'd be beyond this by now, but recently a bunch of 60-70s-age expats here, got together and got a group deal at an English-speaking plastic surgeon 5 hours away in one of our major cities (Guayaquil).

From what I can ascertain, the "work" performed was mainly jowls and sagging eyelids. Those ARE huge aging factors, as far as looks.

I can't really ask this question to them, but would like to. Is it just because it is quite inexpensive here, and they kind of egged each other on....?

Of course, no one on C-D would know the specifics HERE, but have any of you considered any "procedures" at this senior time of life? Or do you just not care anymore. Before you answer, consider that it is about 1/3 or 1/4 the cost here. So if you were here, would you consider it?

Or have you considered it/done it, at this age, back in the U.S./Canada?

Disclaimer: I did mine at age 45. I might consider it again, but missed this go-round.

P.S. This surgeon made the 5-hour (one-way) road trip to take everyone's stitches out HERE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 05:39 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,197,862 times
At this time I don't care but circumstances change, so I am not one to say never.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:29 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,090,056 times
I and DW would even consider that sort of surgery provided the costs and the results outweigh the possible risks. Now I am not saying that there are or are not risks having that surgery anywhere but costs in Ecuador for that sort of service. In fact if I don't get implants here I plan on looking outside the US for that. I had been thinking it would be Korea and it still might cause I haven't started the process here.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:33 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
I have always disliked my hooded droopy eyes. I never did anything about it because I figured no one would recognize me the new way. Plus I'd look goofy and surprised all the time.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:44 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
At age 69, I'd never for a nanosecond consider any elective surgery. The risks are considerable, as demonstrated by Joan Rivers and Donda West (Kanye's mother), and others who surely had the best possible medical providers.

I'm not proud of my saggy jowls or turkey wattle but see no point in trying to diminish them. I'm not seeking a job or a mate, so what would be the point? "Fixing" them would only divert attention to my many other flaws, and it's not like biscuitpop, my sons, or anyone else who matters would care.

I have a couple of friends who have had functional blepharoplasties, i.e. corrective surgery for droopy eyelids that were impairing their vision to the point they couldn't safely drive and had difficulty performing many other daily tasks. These were deemed medically necessary enough so that Medicare paid. If that happens to me, I'll reluctantly consider the procedure.

Old 10-04-2017, 04:51 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,904,543 times
Medical tourism is big business in Mexico. Not so much with expats living here fulltime, but for those in the US looking for a bargain. There is one B&B in town that advertises and caters to tourists seeking plastic surgery...they will line up doctors for you, transport you to Guadalajara hospital (1 hour away) then provide services for you at their B&B as you recuperate.

I have a low pain threshold, fear infections (after have 2 life threatening ones), so I don't volunteer for ANY medical procedure.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:26 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
I'd do it in heartbeat, not because I care about what I look like, I don't. But humans react to the way people look subconsciously. I look sort of mean but am not. Some people with friendly faces are b******. But they'll have more success when meeting new people not so much because they are pretty but because our lizard brain has some preconceived notion about who it wants to interact with. You know, all the studies about symmetrical faces etc.

That said I haven't and probably won't ever have it done not so much about the money but because I see so much bad work on tv. How do you find a good Dr.? If people in Hollywood can't then.......

Old 10-04-2017, 07:32 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Medical tourism is big business in Mexico. Not so much with expats living here fulltime, but for those in the US looking for a bargain. There is one B&B in town that advertises and caters to tourists seeking plastic surgery...they will line up doctors for you, transport you to Guadalajara hospital (1 hour away) then provide services for you at their B&B as you recuperate.

I have a low pain threshold, fear infections (after have 2 life threatening ones), so I don't volunteer for ANY medical procedure.
same here - hate going to the doctor for necessary things - no way would I do it for elective surgery. Too scary!!

Old 10-04-2017, 08:12 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
It seems like we'd be beyond this by now, but recently a bunch of 60-70s-age expats here, got together and got a group deal at an English-speaking plastic surgeon 5 hours away in one of our major cities (Guayaquil).

From what I can ascertain, the "work" performed was mainly jowls and sagging eyelids. Those ARE huge aging factors, as far as looks.

I can't really ask this question to them, but would like to. Is it just because it is quite inexpensive here, and they kind of egged each other on....?

Of course, no one on C-D would know the specifics HERE, but have any of you considered any "procedures" at this senior time of life? Or do you just not care anymore. Before you answer, consider that it is about 1/3 or 1/4 the cost here. So if you were here, would you consider it?

Or have you considered it/done it, at this age, back in the U.S./Canada?

Disclaimer: I did mine at age 45. I might consider it again, but missed this go-round.

P.S. This surgeon made the 5-hour (one-way) road trip to take everyone's stitches out HERE.
I will never have surgery unless it is a serious issue, vanity ain't serious.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:13 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,259,315 times
I am unlikely to ever do this. Not willing to take on risk (infection, anesthesia, potential for bad outcome) for something that is not medically-needed. I am sure my perspective is colored by my experience as a healthcare provider who has seen patients whose surgery went horribly awry. Nope, it will take either an emergency or a major problem that can only be surgically corrected to get me to have surgery. YMMV, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement