Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 10:35 AM

10,227 posts, read 6,308,428 times

Advertisements

Since we know and are friends with people a lot younger than we are, the answer is no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 12:26 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,567,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
No, not really. Although for my age about 5.4 times as many friends with have passed as should have based on the averages. If anything it allows you to be better at both cherishing the moment and allowing you to let go.

Maybe get a pet to keep you company?
I am hoping to start an interesting discussion on CD, nothing more.

I rescue dogs and enjoy plenty of human company, thank you!

Old 10-08-2017, 12:37 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,017,781 times
My mom used to say that when she was in her 80's. Not true so far for me. Most of my family is dead but my friends are still alive and kicking!

Old 10-08-2017, 02:15 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,641,916 times
Well, this year we've lost two people (one old and one young) that are related to us and one older friend (not a close friend, but still...). It's also getting harder to relate to how our country, its ways and its people have changed. I also dread to see what the future will be like.

Old 10-08-2017, 03:52 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,537,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Of course, I am practically 80. Most of the people I knew well or were related to are deceased

One reason I have no desire to be 80. I certainly don’t want to outlive most of my friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
This is why I try to have a broad range of friends ,but it isn't easy.
One “hobbie” I took up after retiring was getting more connected with people and my community. In the last year year, I’ve made two new real friends and am getting to know other people. It isn’t easy, but is doable. And so worth it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
My mom used to say that when she was in her 80's. Not true so far for me. Most of my family is dead but my friends are still alive and kicking!
Yes! Thus my “hobbie”. Planning for the future and enjoying new friends

And to the OP, more alive than dead. Most of the dead were family.

Old 10-08-2017, 04:48 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,523,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDogToday View Post
And I am only 62. But I counted them up one day and the number of friends and family who are deceased far out number the ones remaining ''above ground''.
I remember talking to my then 90 year old mother-in-law a few years before her passing in 2006 and she told me that she really didn't mind dying now because she ''didn't know anybody anymore from my crowd'' as she called them.
I am starting to feel this way some days myself.

Yes, I am in your position, & I’m less than 5 years older than you, & it started years ago.

Part of it was due to being born to older parents, with my only sibling, who I was very close to, being much older than me. So, I lost family at a younger age than most.

Many of my friends, the long-term, deep friendships, died relatively young. Many were from my small home town, a very toxic place...if you stayed, or went back, you died young. Of course, my best friend of 50 years is alive, but did something unspeakable, so is dead to me.

I had a lot of coworker friends who have died in the past 10 years.

We relocated to a new state, in a small town where there are a lot of “lifers” who do not need new friends, & others are just plain unfriendly, many are transplants. Oddly, they are the worst.

Really, if my hometown was not so awful (crime, climate, economy), I would move back for the familiarity.

So, I certainly understand, and empathize. At our age, you don’t make true friends anymore, just superficial acquaintances. When family dies, that’s it.

Oh, for those of you who are not experiencing this, please don’t brag about all the people you know, that solves nothing. You’re not special & it does not help anything but your ego. Suggestions re volunteering, getting a pet, are irrelevant to the topic, this is not Dear Abby. As OP stated, they opened the thread for discussion only.

Last edited by MarciaMarshaMarcia; 10-08-2017 at 04:59 PM..

Old 10-08-2017, 05:18 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,575,400 times
"Do you ever feel like you know more dead people than live ones?"

No.

My mother, father, and brother are gone. But no.

Old 10-08-2017, 06:09 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,079 times
no

Old 10-08-2017, 06:24 PM

4,847 posts, read 2,663,915 times
yep, at 69 years old I figure it's typical for my age..lots of coworkers from 30 years on the job..lots of old friends from way back in the day..dead and gone..at my age you can't make 'lifelong' friends..I miss them all..

Old 10-08-2017, 08:13 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,096,664 times
Out of close friends and family I do know more dead people than live ones even though I keep making new friends. New friends don't know me from my prime and I don't know them that way either. We only know each other as retired people.

When my grandfather was 90 he had a heart attack. Physician was pressuring him to get a pacemaker. Grandfather refused. Said everyone his age was dead except his friend "old Herb" who was a few years younger so he was ready to go. He died a week later. He could have lived longer because before the heart attack he was never ill and always active but would he have been happy or just waiting for the end?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement