Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 01:17 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times

Advertisements

I've done many impulsive moves for various reasons. All worked out, they've all checked something on the bucket listed (living in CA, living full-time at the Jersey shore, living on the Main Line of Phila., etc.), some made me realize the grass wasn't always greener, but I did waste a lot of money on moving, then selling some of the places "turnkey" and then having to re-furnish at the new place. Or like the last house I bought up North -- spent a lot of money renovating and then my circumstances changed and I sold it after three years, getting basically what I had paid for it (and losing all the renovation investment). So now I'm in FL and as you may remember, STILL California dreamin'. In fact, I was running the numbers again today. If I only had a crystal ball that would tell me how long I will live.....I'd then know whether my money will last!

Anyway, I have come to the conclusion I am one of those people who gets bored after a few years in one place (I'm here going on four years now, all renovations are complete, no "projects" to get me excited)....but it's much harder to pull that off when you're retired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 06:31 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times
I have noticed in some postings that people say something to the effect.... how long will their money last. I am guessing they are talking about their own personal savings.

Well, I may not have a lot of money, but what I do have I don't worry about it running out. My IRA and my pension have terms that say "for life." And I'm hoping that applies to my SS.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:50 AM

6,884 posts, read 11,242,310 times
Smile Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
OP, I have a hard time understanding your posts. They seem kind of stream-of-consciousness blurbs. Having a hard time reading between the lines. Maybe you could be more detailed or specific?

Trying to glean what you're saying - your husband wants to quit his job. You don't want him to. But, that doesn't sound spontaneous to me. Sounds like making decisions about your husband wanting to quit his job earlier than you want him to.

Anyway, maybe you could explain about what you are talking about regarding impulsive. Also the story you mentioned was about someone who lost their job, then found other work somewhere else? Again, that's not impulsive, it's making a decision based on current circumstances.

Like I say, I don't understand exactly what you're saying. But, if your husband is still employed, but wants to quit, that's not impulsive. If he was impulsive, he'd have just quit and come home and announced that he'd done so, seems to me.
My husband is self employed as a CPA. Long time, has an office, clients, something he could/would sell.
We did explore the waters back in 2012, got many calls, offers but that's another story that went away.

As his clients make changes in their own lives, I think my husband is looking at his options more and more. That's all. He might be using their scenario as an example to see my reaction. I'm not sure. This is deadline time for him and he might just be super stressed at this time of year plus we just went through Irma (all good BTW but disruptive).

He knows he would still do this kind of work self employed somewhere else but not to the same extent. What I'm thinking is eventually being in a 55 plus area and he would set up a practice there not to compete with the one he sold here. So - no conflict. We need the income and he is OK with that plus I think he would go bat crazy not being a CPA. He would probably want to earn around $40K from CPA work plus I would have to continue my business.

Like so many others, we are strapped with health insurance and long term care - it runs around $1950 monthly and we are healthy other than my vision issues (birth related). It's like paying 3 or 4 car payments a month plus rent on our office ($4000 monthly) plus staff so you get the idea.

My husband is a native to this area. Other than very short trips to California, NY, TN and SC, he has never really been anywhere for a long period of time. He was very tied to this area (his dad) but now his dad is gone and maybe he feels differently.

This client/friend is a doctor and a lot of larger firms are snapping up the little guys. I guess the guy made a couple of inquiries and now he has a serious offer which he may or may not take. My husband is his CPA also so involved in that. He has to keep his own feelings and made professional decisions so sometimes it's hard to determine if I'm talking to the business side or the personal side.

Old 10-11-2017, 12:17 PM

768 posts, read 718,666 times
I made a quick decision to move to another state. I had never lived anywhere else, but I too wanted to be near my grandchild and was ready for a change of scenery. Even though the decision was spontaneous, it took time to do everything needed to be done. Instead of selling my house, I rented it out. Then I rented a house in the new state. Now I am back in my original house but hoping to be able to be in each place part time. I stayed until my grandchild graduated high school and went off to college in yet another state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement