Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 01:30 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,181,114 times

Advertisements

Kids begin to think their aging parents are crazy when they begin to feel entitled to tell them "what's good for them" and the parents ignore them and do what they like, as the parents are fully entitled to do because its still their lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 01:40 PM

498 posts, read 572,037 times
My son recently told me that all his friends during high school thought we were weird....with a weird household because we did not have a tv and did not run the stereo all day. Too quiet....weird having a quiet house. Even my yougest sister was bothered by the quietness. Yes, two out three sons thinks we are crazy/weird. I told them to "always be true to yourself".

Old 10-13-2017, 05:44 PM

638 posts, read 529,741 times
They are comparing their idealized future selves to my actual real life self at home, so probably, but I don't care as I know what a ridiculous comparison it is. I was going to be way better than my mom was when she was 36 and I was 16. Obviously. I wasn't going to be forgetful, sleep deprived, or angry about politics. Duh.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:42 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Still crazy after all these years.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:17 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Mental derogatory statements are truly uncalled for ...unless it's to aide the inflicted in understanding their ailment. Such as...she seems paranoid in her thoughts and behavior...think a medical person can aide her?
My adult sons are aware of my anxiety and pstd. Sadly they have little desire to understand it's treatments or how to empathize with such. They often dismiss themselves if they sense I am a little 'off'. Their actions do say..she is unwell...
It hurts sometimes...
Particularly when my youngest spent years undiagnosed or treated for his mental condition. Now he is stabilized and actually integrating nicely...his doctor has been a blessing to our family...

I'm sure 'crazy' to some is 'zany,quirky,or eccentric'...

Old 10-13-2017, 10:54 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post

I'm sure 'crazy' to some is 'zany,quirky,or eccentric'...
I'm sure that's what the OP had in mind when he started this thread and used the word crazy. I doubt anyone here would mean it in a serious way, as in a mental disturbance.

For myself, I don't have kids, so I can be as crazy as I want to be and not worry about it.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:08 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,431,258 times
My eldest son has always thought I am eccentric, and slightly potty. He and his wife visited last Sunday. While I was out of the room, he said to my wife, "how is he? Getting any worse?" My wife laughed, and said, "yes......... your dad isn't getting less eccentric, and that's for sure."

I am NOT eccentric......... It's the rest of the world that's nuts.........

Old 10-14-2017, 05:25 AM

7,682 posts, read 1,271,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I'm a Boomer, and indeed I do see a heck of a lot of Boomers losing their minds.

Personally, I'm just getting cooler.

Well, I was a nerd as a kid, so maybe I'm just fitting in better and that looks "cool."
BINGO--me too!

The only problem is now my bones are creaking, I'm starting to lose my hearing and my muscles are turning to mush BUT I can still rock it with the best of them

Old 10-14-2017, 05:31 AM

7,682 posts, read 1,271,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neerwhal View Post
They are comparing their idealized future selves to my actual real life self at home, so probably, but I don't care as I know what a ridiculous comparison it is. I was going to be way better than my mom was when she was 36 and I was 16. Obviously. I wasn't going to be forgetful, sleep deprived, or angry about politics. Duh.
^^^^^^
Yeah. This.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:17 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
I would rather see the title of the thread changed to: As you age, do you think your children are becoming more crazy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement