Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 05:24 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times

Advertisements

It is hard to believe , but this May 4th, it will be thirty-eight years since Kent State. That was such a defining event for all of us. It was my graduation year and none of us attended as a protest. I can still remember the names of all of the kids who were murdered. Jeffrey Glenn Miller, Alison Krause , Sandra Scher and William Schroeder (probably misspelled, though) . They should all be writing on this retirement board with us now. They would just be turning sixty. Instead they never had the chance to grow up. What a horrible time.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 07:01 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
It is hard to believe , but this May 4th, it will be thirty-eight years since Kent State. That was such a defining event for all of us. It was my graduation year and none of us attended as a protest. I can still remember the names of all of the kids who were murdered. Jeffrey Glenn Miller, Alison Krause , Sandra Scher and William Schroeder (probably misspelled, though) . They should all be writing on this retirement board with us now. They would just be turning sixty. Instead they never had the chance to grow up. What a horrible time.
It was just so shocking to think that any kids would be killed by the National Guard on a college campus! Supposedly, it's still a mystery who gave the order to shoot. I don't think anything was ever done about the ones who shot the kids.

Now, we have kids shooting kids, instead of someone else killing them for protesting.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:50 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,785,113 times
Quote:
Nancythereader: It is hard to believe , but this May 4th, it will be thirty-eight years since Kent State.
That's right. My boss, here in California, was a student at Kent State and was right there when it happened! I'll have to remind her (or probably I won't have to....).

Old 04-16-2008, 11:59 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
I told my kids about Kent State and Paris and Chicago '68, showed them pictures and even found the songs "Ohio" and "Chicago" for them online, and it was very hard for them to believe that there had been such passion, on both sides. They'd never heard of Kent State, even in high school (They knew Graham Nash, though )

Thanks for posting that Nancy thereader. They *should* be posting with us now, telling us about their grandkids.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:16 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I told my kids about Kent State and Paris and Chicago '68, showed them pictures and even found the songs "Ohio" and "Chicago" for them online, and it was very hard for them to believe that there had been such passion, on both sides. They'd never heard of Kent State, even in high school (They knew Graham Nash, though )

Thanks for posting that Nancy thereader. They *should* be posting with us now, telling us about their grandkids.
The kids should have been told about a lot of things they probably weren't. I find so many holes in their education today. I work with young people who are smart, but have no idea about a lot of things, mostly history.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:10 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,380,148 times
Quote:
The sensitivity of your remembrance keeps their spirit alive.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:12 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
No, even my own son who is 35 knows very little about that time. He even came with me to Strawberry Fields in Central Park when John Lennon was killed (we live nearby on Long Island) . But, I don't think that he has much interest in politics, though.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-19-2008, 06:31 PM

23 posts, read 63,150 times
I grew up in the SF Bay Area (east bay) and started high school in '67 when the anti-war and hippie movements were just heating up. I was too "straight" to try the heavy drugs (tried MJ twice on a dare) and wasn't into the hippie movement. Preferred girls and my '57 Chevy.

Had mixed thoughts on the war even after my older brother returned from Nam severly injured in '68. My dad, a colonal in the air force reserve, died that same year and that took the wind out of my sail for awhile. Probably helped keep me semi-straight. Got my draft notice in '72 (the last draft I believe) and just made it into the National Guard. It was irresponsible and sad putting guns in the hands of rookie National Guardsmen at Kent State combined with poor judgement and decision making by whomever to shoot..

Those were very interesting and fun times growing up where I did. The music was outstanding!!

Old 04-20-2008, 10:57 AM

452 posts, read 1,722,879 times
I had a '57 chevy my senior year ('67) in high school and it was a magnet for the guys.

And you're so right, the music was absolutely the best!!

Old 04-21-2008, 10:16 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,135,408 times
Who could forget Kent State? I was in my second year of teaching and felt like a child myself. Some of my students were only 5 yrs. younger than I was.

But, hearing that horrible news of the killing of those innocent kids on the Kent State Campus and seeing the news footage changed me inside and out. I suddenly realized that those poor kids, 2 or 3 years younger than I was, died for the same protests that I had been involved in such a short time ago.

We had no fear of the National Guard or even the local town police. Who would ever guess that someone would go so far to stop the voices of children learning to be adults?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement