Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 10:49 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,133 times

Advertisements

For a long time I dreamed of moving to an area by the ocean, or at least near a very large lake. I also dreamed of meeting a nice man to have a relationship with, not necessarily marriage. I've dreamed of having both of my kids in my life with love and caring between all of us. I dreamed of travel within the U.S.

As time has gone by and I've gotten older, the reality of my dreams seems to have disappeared and I have more or less settled into a quiet serene life with no struggle for anything more. I guess a good word would be resigned into it.

I've listened to a spiritual person on TV for years and she often talks about not giving up on dreams, to keep dreaming them, praying to God for them and if they didn't materialize, to realize that God has sent what is best for you.

I do find myself content, something that took a long time coming. I'm accepting myself, my lifestyle, and beginning to enjoy things as they are.

Does this mean I have given up? Or that I've finally accepted my life as it is.

I'm not necessarily looking to anyone here to give me "the answer." I just want to hear what you all have to say and maybe learn from you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 03:56 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
My one dream didn't turn out as expected. I probably didn't think it through. But I hope to change that in a few years.

Old 12-28-2017, 04:00 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
I think it's only common sense to recognize that there's a time to give up some dreams. (When I was 5 I used to dream of becoming an astronaut; at age 55, I think that's one dream that's way past its sell-by date!)

I think giving up on (some) dreams is fine; what's not fine is giving up on the whole idea of dreaming. Trading out old dreams that no longer fit for new ones which do is the mental equivalent of cleaning out your closet and taking those old clothes you've been holding onto for years because you knew you'd wear them "someday when I lose weight" off to Goodwill.

Old 12-28-2017, 04:09 PM

498 posts, read 571,598 times
I always had the dream of living and working in a national park. My DH developed dementia and I took care of him for 13 years. Now I am too old to even volunteer for most wilderness experiences. Bitter? Not now. I was so disappointed when I first realized this but not any longer. I could have been the one with the health issue and the dream still would not have happened. I believe you have to continue to adjust "dreams". Now I go birding and do nature walks with seniors. Instead of giving cocktail parties, I invite a group to go for a walk (slow) in the woods with sliced oranges as the refreshments. Adjust the dreams.

Old 12-28-2017, 04:31 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
I think the important thing is to find happiness with what you have. Dreams come and go, the here and now doesn't.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-28-2017, 04:48 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,935,039 times
We always expected we would have grandchildren, and retained toys and other items in accordance with that expectation. We now realize it will likely never happen as both of our sons and their wives are aging out of the maternity years.

So now we are making plans to stay active in our upcoming retirement in other ways. And will likely start, in a couple more years, to donate, sell, or otherwise dispose of the items we saved for grandchildren that we will never need.

Last edited by MI-Roger; 12-28-2017 at 05:55 PM..

Old 12-28-2017, 06:13 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
I had dreams of being married 60+ years and growing old with family as a group. We divorced after 35 years so gonna miss the getting old together part.

But I still have the grandkids and a new sweetie so maybe I now have a new dream.

Old 12-28-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I had dreams of being married 60+ years and growing old with family as a group. We divorced after 35 years so gonna miss the getting old together part.

But I still have the grandkids and a new sweetie so maybe I now have a new dream.
Good luck to you!

Old 12-28-2017, 06:17 PM

My dream was to live in the house that I live in. But its not that great. My days of nostalgia are over and now I want a more modern abode.

Is it weird that I never had the dream of being married forever or having kids?

Old 12-28-2017, 06:20 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,607,512 times
There's an old saying: "Make your dreams come true - Wake Up!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement