Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 09:40 AM

8,628 posts, read 9,134,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Do either have any underlying medical issues...arthritis?? osteoporosis?? In WHICH part of the body...hips, back, legs??

When we were much younger, we always went with Firm mattresses. Until we bought new ones for our last home in FL. Ouch for my me (partner was OK).

Solution: we used 2 extra long Twins, instead of one King. We each have what we need and want. King sheets fit this arrangement perfectly.
My wife has RSD/CRPS, which is the main reason we purchased a Sleep Number Bed. She's happy with it because you can adjust those pressure points and also no heat issues as far as the memory foamed beds can cause for some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 09:40 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I will never again buy a mattress with springs. Most of those old fashioned mattresses start out ok but start breaking down within a couple of years. I also do not like the original memory foam, Temperpedic mattresses. They are sort of like a water bed where you sink into a hole.

My best ever mattress was a queen sized mattress I bought from Overstock for $350. It is in my RV and after the equivalent of 3-4 years of full time use is in perfect condition. Unfortunately I cannot find the identical mattress. It is built with 6" of dense foam with a top 2" layer of softer, non-memory foam. I am starting to think about replacing my Costco foam King sized mattress in the house. It is over 10 years old and was damaged when it was in storage. I will again look for a mattress with a dense foam base and a softer foam top layer. No box springs or base needed. Also the overall mattress does not have to be thick with 8-10" more than sufficient. Another option is to deal with a foam supplier that can supply the foam densities needed.
I found my current one on Amazon. Its foam but a firm foam. It feels soft, and it does mold itself, but doesn't suck you in deep. I need one with some give, but this one is perfect with its support and firmness and softness.

The price was good too. It was shipped in a rolled up hunk of foam, and easy to position on the bed. It was much better than the one I'd had, which I could control the firmness of.

I need to set up another bed, I'm getting another one.

Old 12-30-2017, 09:41 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,030,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
well I have a lot of dogs and they sleep with me, so even though they are not dirty, I change my mattress out every 2 or 3 years. Nothing expensive, just a regular pillow top.

they never get a chance to get all mushy or saggy.
I know I don't sleep well if my dog isn't in bed with me. When she spent 3 days in hospital, I didn't sleep a wink. We sleep back to back and I feel every breath she takes. Nothing like it!

There was a time I slept with 2 greyhounds. That was fun. Even in a king, they took up the whole thing. I miss them terribly.

Other than that, I don't have any suggestions for OP. Just get a dog. That'll do it!

Old 12-30-2017, 09:43 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,417,068 times
My wife and I went with the full foam mattress this last time (Tuft & Needle for us, there are a bunch of different options though). Cheaper than the Prior spring mattress, which was bought directly from the factory where a bunch of "brand names" were made, just without the name markup. We ditched the box spring years prior and were on a platform, it still had all the typical spring mattress issues everyone knows about.

It's been a couple years, couldn't be happier. I'm a big guy at 230lbs and 6'4", so I'm used to making a hole within a few months and it hasn't happened. I haven't had a sore back in I can't remember how long, they were a constant thing for a decade or more (2 mattresses) before that. I'm sold on them. Stunk a little when I opened it, but we thought about that and opened it to air on a day we were leaving for a trip, came back and no perceptible smell.

Like I said, I'm sold on foam mattresses, and not even super expensive ones.

Old 12-30-2017, 09:46 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
I have RA (lower back, hands/feet) and a tempurpedic cal king. I am a devoted fan. DH or I can toss and turn all night, and the other one has no idea. It's around 10 years old and no problems

We have a cheaper mattress in kidlets room and when we move we are putting in a tempurpedic, anytime we need to use it for a nap or because one of us is sick, we can't sleep because it is not comfortable.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-30-2017, 10:04 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,087,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
My wife has RSD/CRPS, which is the main reason we purchased a Sleep Number Bed. She's happy with it because you can adjust those pressure points and also no heat issues as far as the memory foamed beds can cause for some.
I am so into hearing how you like this. My wife and I are considering this as well. We are wondering if we should get the split version (King)for individual adjustment or the single unit (Queen) adjustable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Same here. Our Tempur Pedic is 10 years old and still comfortable.

To the OP, the usual reason for waking up with aches is a worn out mattress.
totally true the mattress is the issue. However as comfy as it is there is still going to be a hump in the middle after a while and it becomes more pronounce as the years go by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
I have a platform bed with slats and 4 inch resilient foam mattress. Yes..4 inch mattress.

Have it for going on 6 years now and have to say it beats a box spring/mattress combination for me.

Totally agree a foam mattress with good base of slats or even a plywood sheet works great. In our house most of my family are short and prefer a shorter bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
I have a king size Tempur-Pedic mattress which is about 8 years old. I absolutely love it, but the one I have predates the ones now made that do not hold the heat like mine does so I have to use an additional cover over it in the summer because it holds so much heat. I got so used to this mattress that sleeping on any other is very difficult for me. Call me crazy if you want, but I actually own a travel Tempur-Pedic mattress that rolls up into it's own rolling carry case that I take with me on vacations.
The furniture store up here and you know of them Jordan's Furniture advertise that they have diamond infused memory foam to stop the heat transfer back. Kind of makes sense to me.

by the way OP thanks for starting this thread. We are debating the same as our mattress is 13 years old now and we are thinking about replacement either just the mattress or the entire bed. We like what we have heard about for the adjustable beds. Just not sure if the expense is worth it at this time.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:04 AM

672 posts, read 442,828 times
Memory foam is nice but they are warm and very heavy to flip.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:08 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
I bought an all-natural (as opposed to synthetic) latex mattress about 5 years and we love it. It is VERY heavy.

We have a good quality memory foam mattresses in the RV and it sleeps HOT. Mostly we camp in the mountains or at the beach so that isn't too much of an issue, but I sometimes have to sleep on top of all the sheets/blankets with just another sheet for cover.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:11 AM

1,326 posts, read 1,138,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
every morning my wife and i wake up with aches and pains yet we don't have them when we sleep on other mattress traveling . so we are going to try another mattress .

i am really not sure what to get . i don't know how many times my wife is going to drink wine in bed while i jump up and down like in the commercial but i do think our "older bodies " prefer certain types of mattresses .

anybody have a type they love ?
OMG, I laughed so hard at your title!

Unfortunately, I have not a clue on what would be the best mattress for older bodies but I had to click on your thread to see what the title meant!

Old 12-30-2017, 10:12 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
Several months ago I bought a LUCID gel top 10" foam mattress from Amazon. I absolutely love it! Gel top keeps me from sweating to death and after the summer we had this year, that was a blessing. (SW Florida) I sleep like a baby. Sometimes don't wake up until morning! Good price, free shipping, I have Prime, and I found no odor upon opening it up to expand. I bought the medium firmness. That is great for me. It comes with a nice mattress cover. Good luck in your hunting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement