Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 09:36 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,257,513 times

Advertisements

We bought a new mattress a year ago(over 1k) and I think I’ve been able to sleep all night maybe 20 times or so. I wake up and go to my recliner and go right to sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 09:42 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
I don't understand the whole mattress thing. I find I sleep best on the cheap ones. I had a sleep number I didn't like for a long time but since I got rid of it I have always bought the cheapies. One thing that keeps hovering on the edge of my brain is a waterbed. It's so hot here for half the year, it would probably be perfect with no heat and let me turn up the thermostat at night!

Old 12-30-2017, 11:10 PM

499 posts, read 471,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
What about Tuft and Needle mattress? I've been thinking of maybe getting one.

Anyone tried it?

https://www.tuftandneedle.com
We have owned a Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme mattress for more than 6 years, and love it. Last year we bought a Tuft and Needle mattress for our second home, and while it is pretty comfortable, in my opinion it does not offer the same support that our Tempurpedic does. I wish it were as good, as it is a less expensive alternative, but I wouldn't want to sleep on it full time.

Old 12-30-2017, 11:12 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
We tried all the tempurpedic mattresses in the store and didn't like them, we ended up getting a memory foam mattress from Costco, it's awesome. We've had it for 8 or 9 years and it's just as good as the day we bought it.

Old 12-30-2017, 11:43 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,580,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PartIrish View Post
We have owned a Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme mattress for more than 6 years, and love it. Last year we bought a Tuft and Needle mattress for our second home, and while it is pretty comfortable, in my opinion it does not offer the same support that our Tempurpedic does. I wish it were as good, as it is a less expensive alternative, but I wouldn't want to sleep on it full time.
Thanks for the tip and review!!

Old 12-31-2017, 04:09 AM

8,757 posts, read 5,053,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
My pain was probably from something different than arthritis, but I'll relay this info anyway just in case. I went through a long period of time where my left hip was in excruciating, searing pain which turned out to be ITB issues, iliotibial band, and maybe bursitis in the hip. The ITB runs from my hip to just past the outside of my knee, boy that hurt so bad, and kept me awake from the pain almost in tears, and made me limp too. It helped me to sleep with a pillow between my knees for some relief. But was a pain rolling over at night, lol. Not sure if that might help you, or not, but thought I'd mention it anyway.

I found exercises for my issue online which really helped. It doesn't bother me at all now unless I don't do them for awhile. There seems to be a difference of opinion on whether the hip pain is related to IBS, or not. All I know is that it goes away when I do those simple exercises, and comes back when I stop for awhile. The first two on the video are the two easy ones that helped me a lot. I would suggest goes slower, and more controlled than the video portrays. Maybe these will be of some use for somebody out there. Good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWGpbxbJ6_Y

------------------------------------
Thanks!! Worth a try

Old 12-31-2017, 05:09 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
My wife has RSD/CRPS, which is the main reason we purchased a Sleep Number Bed. She's happy with it because you can adjust those pressure points and also no heat issues as far as the memory foamed beds can cause for some.
We had a sleep number bed, which was good since his weight was almost 100 pounds over mine. And I liked soft mattresses, but with a bit of firmness. He liked how it supported his weight. I was very careful to cover it with two or three layers to prevent it getting a hole in it somewhere, but after a couple of years it had created a few, and had to be refilled at night. It was just too much for something which completly failed when packed when moving. And I took great care.

There's actually jell filled mattresses where the jell isn't as likely to leak, and won't as fast, and over water or air I'd go for those, since they are much less subject to the random poke or cat claw. But having found you can get really good foam ones, and for cheap, I'll stick with those.

The one I got off amazon was their 'brand' and much less than the others, and I've been most happy with it as it isn't so soft you sink. Its just a multi individual task to get it in place on the bed.

I made my bed a storage bed too, lining the side and one end open so you can reach it, with wood/pressed wood cubes to provide below bed storage and preventing things from dissapearing forever, or until someday you take it all apart. I've considered using wood and building space for just shelves in the remaining areas. But not until I have to move it... I'd like to add an area longer things could go in the middle as well.

Has anyone noticed that a Queen sized *foam* mattress sticks out just enough on the sides that I couldn't get Queen sized sheets in. Now I just use flat ones in both layers.

Is it common for individuals who likely will be the only human in the bed buy Queen sized ones anyway?

My dogs insist they must have their space as well and they also very much approve of foam. Cats think I put the shelves in JUST for them.

Old 12-31-2017, 05:16 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
every morning my wife and i wake up with aches and pains yet we don't have them when we sleep on other mattress traveling . so we are going to try another mattress .

i am really not sure what to get . i don't know how many times my wife is going to drink wine in bed while i jump up and down like in the commercial but i do think our "older bodies " prefer certain types of mattresses .

anybody have a type they love ?
If the old mattress is more than 7 years old it is ready for replacement. I know posters will say their 32 year old mattress is perfect but the fact is, they do wear out. The also get loaded with dead skin cells that have shedded off you while you sleep. Mites feed on this dead skin.....nice huh!

Old 12-31-2017, 05:17 AM

106,661 posts, read 108,810,853 times
i know , i saw some video's once of the inside under a microscope.it was nasty

Old 12-31-2017, 06:38 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,217,702 times
It is so hard mattress shopping, how do you know from laying on a bed for 10 minutes whether you want a sleep number or latex or foam or spring? And the US mattress industry is terrible. I can't remember if its Serta or Seely that is having major problems right now but I've heard it from two sources. (Not exactly helpful but I can ask if you want).

When I quit procrastinating I will go back to this place. They are small shop with guys that have been there forever, own the place and will talk to you for a long time. You can lay there as long as you want. Some good reading that might help your shopping. Don't let the url scare you off, not sure why it copied that way.
its
www.designsleep.com in Yellow Springs Ohio

Design Sleep Ohio_Organic bedding_Natural Latex Mattresses_European Luxury beds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement