Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 04:55 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,530,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Be advised the current budget extension ends in a couple of weeks and while a shutdown won't interfere with folks getting checks it should from all I have read and had confirmed by others would impact applications. That is why I filed earlier instead of waiting to 70.
I'm in no hurry. In fact I'm still considering just waiting until next October, when I'll turn 70. Since I've already applied and suspended, they'll automatically start them then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 05:44 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,080,479 times
Good for you nicet4 Just keep and eye on grandma because if she is like this grandma who didn't blink an eye dropping $200 plus another $100 on clothes and accessories for two of these crazy Luvabella dolls my two grandgirls desperately wanted for Christmas you may just find yourself returning to work to fund her grandma hobby. Enjoy your retirement.

Old 12-30-2017, 06:08 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
Good for you nicet4 Just keep and eye on grandma because if she is like this grandma who didn't blink an eye dropping $200 plus another $100 on clothes and accessories for two of these crazy Luvabella dolls my two grandgirls desperately wanted for Christmas you may just find yourself returning to work to fund her grandma hobby. Enjoy your retirement.
That's my grandma but grandpa is just as "bad"!

We're seen a number of threads about inheritance and what I would rather do is share the "wealth" now so we can watch them enjoy it.

It is sort of like when the family goes out to dinner everyone knows the simple rule that grandpa ALWAYS picks up the entire bill not because I feel obligated but because it gives me a great deal of pleasure and it would really **** me off if anyone tried to take that blessing away from me. In insist and everyone knows the rules so nobody even tries anymore

Of course the grandchildren all get plenty of toys, there is a six year old that I want to get a drone for... we can start out with one of those lightweight drones meant for in the house and mom just rolls her eyes as mine sparkle with just the thought. I told mom, my daughter, that I would wait until next year and she thanked me.

The older ones get cash because have you ever heard of a young teen girl getting a $100 bill and saying "oh, that really isn't what I wanted....."?

Now it is my turn to go a little crazy!

Oh, the 2% COLA. Got a question, when does that go into effect because it will mean about $58 more to me and if I didn't get it in the check I just got will I get it in January?

Old 12-30-2017, 06:25 PM

809 posts, read 1,181,396 times
Congratulations Nice4. I've mentioned this to you before, but I truly admire your love and commitment to your loved ones. My husband and I also feel as you do. We give the gift of memories. They're priceless.

Old 12-30-2017, 07:13 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralvr View Post
Congratulations Nice4. I've mentioned this to you before, but I truly admire your love and commitment to your loved ones. My husband and I also feel as you do. We give the gift of memories. They're priceless.
On this earth in the end all you leave behind are memories.

Old 12-30-2017, 07:57 PM

7,515 posts, read 13,618,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post

Oh, the 2% COLA. Got a question, when does that go into effect because it will mean about $58 more to me and if I didn't get it in the check I just got will I get it in January?
It will show in January's payment.

Old 12-30-2017, 07:59 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
Congratulations.

Old 12-30-2017, 09:26 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
Yes, yes and yes. My wife loved shopping at the American doll store.

Old 12-30-2017, 11:14 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Furthermore, the check amount appears to be a little higher than I estimated and I am wondering if they didn't take out for Medicare Part B since I paid for three months last December.... my Part B is paid up until March 1.
That's right, the check will be smaller once they start to take out Part B.

Congratulations on such a nice payout. I am expecting roughly the same amount.

Old 12-31-2017, 02:34 AM

106,649 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I filed for mine over the phone and they said it would take no time because I was receiving spousal on Medicare etc. I had a complete history. Mine took a couple of weeks because I had to wait for my Wednesday to arrive. They have this part of the process down to a science as the paper work already is in place and a lot of folks were doing it. Of course that number will go down as the new rules are fully phased in and everyone has reached 70.
It was a great Bada Bing while it lasted
when i applied i was in the system and already got my medicare cards in two weeks time .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement