Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2018, 09:21 AM

4,176 posts, read 2,586,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shokwaverider View Post
Nothing Offends me, "Sticks & Stones"..... Oh one thing does, having to be conscious of what I say in case it offends someone. No such problem in Australia and England. (I am English) Most people who live in America have VERY thin skins.
But unkind words can, and do hurt. Often very deeply. As can the kind, loving words that are withheld from others that may be in need of hearing them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 09:25 AM

41 posts, read 31,603 times
"Senior" is a good general term that is not offensive...unless you are not of "senior" age yet.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:26 AM

989 posts, read 771,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
But unkind words can, and do hurt. Often very deeply. As can the kind, loving words that are withheld from others that may be in need of hearing them.
I have just noticed after my 30 years here in the USA that Americans are a lot more sensitive to this kind of thing than others. Australians, English and Most Europeans simply do not really care. There are a lot more important things to get upset about than words. Why look for more?

Old 01-01-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Hey, you've given me an idea though - next time someone calls me that, I think I will turn around and call THEM that. That should give them pause for thought, right? I mean, that's mutual respect, right? That's what I like. That's what I'm comfortable with.
But isn't that what you are supposed to do anyway?

Instead of trying to change a whole culture why not move to the north, or west where you will rarely hear those honoring words.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:31 AM

4,548 posts, read 3,774,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I laugh every time I read in the news about an "elderly man" who was rescued (or whatever) and the guys only in his early to mid 60's. To me elderly is past mid-70's.
I had the same reaction when I read about an elderly woman who hit the gas instead of the brakes and went through a local store window. Further down in another paragraph, I read she was 60.
To young reporters, 60 is no different than 80, older and elderly are the same demographic to them.

When I was accepted into a radiology technology program in college, I was told there was a higher incidence of early cataracts working with ionizing radiation. I clearly remember thinking: Right, like I’ll be alive then! I’m having a catract surgery next week at age 64. I look back on my young self and smile. So young and so clueless.

You can call me senior citizen, old, elderly, Miss, ma’am or whatever the current words that are used. Like the progressive change from graveyard to cemetery to memorial gardens: changing the word only makes the connotation more palatable or acceptable. It doesn’t change what something or someone is.

Last edited by jean_ji; 01-01-2018 at 09:48 AM..

Old 01-01-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I was relating a story about a man trapped in the woods to my DH. He said "was this a guy in his 30's?", because he'd read a story about a 30-something lost a few weeks earlier. I said "No, it was an old guy, like 65" then I remembered my DH is 63. LOL...I had to fumble around for something to paper over that one real quick!
Haha, I do the same exact thing even though I'm almost 70. The real us inside never ages, and I am always somewhat surprised realizing that I'm one of those old people too. We have to try, and laugh it off I guess, since it happens to the best of us .

Old 01-01-2018, 09:45 AM

15,253 posts, read 13,013,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
By all means, find as many words as you want to marginalize us. It won't kill us. We'll still be here.
Are you so fragile that you can be marginalized by a word?

Quote:
And, with any luck, you will also, in the fullness of time, achieve the awful distinction of being viewed as old and worthless by younger people.
Who cares what younger people think? Do they think?

Old 01-01-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shokwaverider View Post
I have just noticed after my 30 years here in the USA that Americans are a lot more sensitive to this kind of thing than others. Australians, English and Most Europeans simply do not really care. There are a lot more important things to get upset about than words. Why look for more?
Because words can be used like weapons piercing the heart, and setting things in motion either good, or bad.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:49 AM

45,556 posts, read 60,809,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Are you so fragile that you can be marginalized by a word?

Who cares what younger people think? Do they think?

Well, you do know many think we're keeping them from their rightful place in the corner office. Well, I'm not because I'm retired, but apparently a smokin' hot intern experience translates into 35 or 40 years of experience.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I was told there was a higher incidence of early cataracts working with ionizing radiation.
OT: Thank you so much for this very important bit of information. In the 70's I worked in a submarine shipyard in Groton, Ct as an Industrial Radiographer for several years using Cobalt, and Iridium on welds to find defects. Mostly I was a sourceman (woman) issued a radioactive source for the shift, or a film runner. As a single mother I did that for several years as the money was good, but worried about what the radioactivity was doing to me. I quit in Aug 79. My vision has become blurrier lately, and I've been wondering about cataracts. Your comment may be the motivation I need to get checked out. Thanks again Jean . I think I remember reading a few years back that Medicare paid for at least part of cataract surgery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement