Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 08:50 AM

554 posts, read 745,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I don't have a TV, or radio, I have an old cassette deck/CD player and most of my entertainment comes through Youtube. I am 61 and I don't really like anything much after about 1975. Sometimes I play something new just to give it a chance but I not only dislike the music, I dislike the way people sing. It sounds, to me, nasal, breathy, and fake. Not a real pure natural sound.

The only new (to me) performer I have found in the last year that I love is Junior Brown. And he is in his 60's, older than me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bHWhbu_mbk

And he sings too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_wLVCLPx0M
... YES! Th' man can play those guitars! ... I have a couple of his albums! And, I'm a drummer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 08:50 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,609,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post

We like to test Alexa to see what the system can find. It won't find Pearls Before Swine (I wager about one in 200 of you know who they are - maybe)....
I saw them in a cafe in Greenwich Village in the late 60's! Tom Rapp I believe... How about Fred Neil?

I'm trying to see the "folkies" of this era while they are still around: J Sebastian, Geoff/Maria Muldaur, J Kweskin, Tom Rush, Jonathan Edwards, John Hammond - all of these are worth tracking down, although Sebastian has lost his voice, his stories, talent & original songs still make it a worthwhile evening. I miss seeing Richie Havens & Dave van Ronk among others.

I thought that the music would just get better & better as time marched on, I guess so did our parents with their music... There are a few who have stayed current & creative: Dylan, N Young, Nick Lowe, Richard Thompson....

About 9-10 years ago I made my peace with seeing what's left of the 60's bands - usually just the original drummer & bass guitarist left- because where am I going to hear a whole evening of Yardbirds or Spoonful or Airplane songs done well ever again? The audience for these is a real wake up call: "Back in the AARP"!

Last edited by Hefe; 01-02-2018 at 09:09 AM..

Old 01-02-2018, 09:07 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,082,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
You are so much like me. I when I listen to music in my car crank that up. My wife has the same thought as well. Great names you picked but you can add in so many other artists that sang songs that told stories. Jethro Tull, Bob Dylan, Led Zeppelin, Cat Stevens, and Neil Young are just a few more to add to your wonderful list.
A huge Bada Bing. Monster Cat Stevens fan also, don’t know how I forgot to add him or them for that matter. But while I essentially like everything the other artists produced, there are some songs I can take or leave compared to great Tull and Zep tunes. I was always a huge CSNY fan more than Neil on his own also. “So Far” amongst my absolute favorites. As you said, the list is huge...Badfinger, The Who, Guess Who, ELP, Yes, etc, for harder rock amongst others not mentioned. I was just listing storytellers. Rod Stewart just popped in to mind.

Old 01-02-2018, 10:02 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,817,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchard View Post
... Agree with you about older Country Music - Been there, played that, and continue to listen to the best radio station for it: "Willie's Roadhouse" on SiriusXM(SM). When we bought our latest car, we took the deal to subscribe to SiriusXM for a few months. The varieties of genres and the songs they play are really refreshing; especially on a long drive. I'm gonna hate not continuing to subscribe to them, in a couple of months ($$) ...
DW is a Pop Music fan from the '60s, and still listens to her favorites on her iPad while at home.
I've been a Country Music fan for decades. My "time" was during the 70's & 80's (Merle Haggard, George Strait, Moe Bandy, Conway Twitty, Don Williams, Ed Bruce, Bellamy Brothers, and a host of others) when the music was so 'poignant' for me.
Now, as we've aged, I can harken back to even-older Country Music (Hank Williams, Lefty Frizzell, Loretta Lynn, George Jones, Porter Wagoner & Dolly, Ray Price, Johnny Bush, Ernest Tubb, and a whole list of others, too) that cause my soul to perk up and take notice.
Much of the current crop of crap being called "country" is not-much-more than regurgitated '70s Rock guitar licks with a 'rap' beat behind it. The lyrics are repetitive, and the melodies don't have much "melody" to them; most of today's songs have about a 4-note range.

I will admit that some of the musicianship may be a little lacking in earlier recordings ('50s), but that was made-up-for in the lyrics and melodies - and, of course, "it has a good beat" ...

We all have our different tastes in music; that's what makes th' world go 'round ...
I don't care much for country music. But Hank Williams is the exception. I listen to his songs even today and still just can not believe how good he was.

Old 01-02-2018, 10:51 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Ah my transistor radio at age ten and this song. It was the beginning of one big journey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deB_u-to-IE

Old 01-02-2018, 11:35 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
I'm the opposite of pretty much everyone else. I can't stand pre 80's music. The stations I listen to play a mix of today's music and the 90's and 2000's. I consider the 70's to be the dark ages of music and the 80's to be the renaissance.

Old 01-02-2018, 11:53 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
I'm not a big country music fan but when things get a little rough, Johnny Cash's Sunday Morning just seems to do it for me.

Old 01-02-2018, 12:00 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,698,423 times
Music from my youth still inspires me to exercise and stay healthy. It has an amazing way to keep you young...

Old 01-02-2018, 12:22 PM

34 posts, read 27,408 times
For the 60s-70s Folkies who might have missed Shawn Phillips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDWb5u1hehI

Old 01-02-2018, 01:03 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Summer in the City...anyone remember? Loved that song...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement