Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 02:57 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times

Advertisements

If you are handy look into the GMC Motorhomes, 1973 to 1979
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 03:19 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,520,476 times
Definitely the Twilight Zone.

Old 01-02-2018, 03:24 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtm100912 View Post
Hi. I'll be 60 years old this year and ready to retire. I am a single female. I have very little money. Here's what I want.

Beautiful lakes, mountains and a beautiful view
Low or no taxes
A nice house on lots of land (and maybe a second place in the city so I won't feel so alone)
A nice climate - meaning it only rains when I'm in the mood for a good afternoon storm and then it goes away. It only snows when I'm sick of looking at the naked ground and want a winter wonderland, then it goes away when I want it to. It only gets hot when I feel like going for a swim. It only gets cold when I'm sick of the heat
Maybe we could get some ocean with the lakes and the mountains
A nice community but I want them to go away when I want some solitude
Not a lot of traffic but when I want company I want to be close to things to do and people to see
Great health care but no deductibles from my insurance. I also want to be close to the finest hospitals.
Good public transit. Maybe they could pick me up at my house and take me where I want to go.

I have seen many threads like this and people have great advice about where to move. Please help me find my paradise

(If you can't think of anything I might buy a van and just go where the mood takes me)
Why do you think all those things would be available to someone with very little money?

I hate to break this news to you, but we don't live in Shang Gri La.

A house surrounded by beautiful lakes and mountains will cost money because other people will be competing with you for that property. Some will be willing to pay a lot for it. Therefore, the price will not be low.

Low taxes or no taxes? I hear that a lot from seniors. How do they think we pay for a police department, fire department, a military, and a school system? Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes said it best when he said "Taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society".

A nice climate. A house in a nice climate will cost you more than one in Michigan, Ohio, or western New York. Its the way it is. Other people want to live in a nice climate too and that drives up prices.

A house by the ocean? Better plan on living in Mississippi. It has about the only relatively cheap housing near the ocean I know about. And, they have to worry about hurricanes.

A nice community without a lot of crowding and noise. Probably not going to happen because other people want what you find desirable.

Not a lot of traffic. Unlikely. Others will be coming to move to your paradise too.

Good health care costs money and private insurance wants to pay as little as possible. Better plan on higher deductibles rather than lower ones.

Better fire up your van, get new tires, and have it serviced. What you want is largely wishful thinking. Some places cost less than others to live in. However, there is high correlation between desirable places and high costs. Real estate agents refer to it as the rule of: location; location; and location.

Seriously, I wish I read fewer posts like this and people didn't try to retire so young. Unless you have a lot of money from investments, inherited wealth, or winning the lotto you should plan on working until some age between 65 and 70. That's what is is realistic in a world where the average life span for a woman is now past 81.

Old 01-02-2018, 03:37 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,243,800 times
Someone really needs to invent a tongue-in-cheek emoji.

Old 01-02-2018, 03:57 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Why do you think all those things would be available to someone with very little money?

I hate to break this news to you, but we don't live in Shang Gri La.

A house surrounded by beautiful lakes and mountains will cost money because other people will be competing with you for that property. Some will be willing to pay a lot for it. Therefore, the price will not be low.

Low taxes or no taxes? I hear that a lot from seniors. How do they think we pay for a police department, fire department, a military, and a school system? Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes said it best when he said "Taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society".

A nice climate. A house in a nice climate will cost you more than one in Michigan, Ohio, or western New York. Its the way it is. Other people want to live in a nice climate too and that drives up prices.

A house by the ocean? Better plan on living in Mississippi. It has about the only relatively cheap housing near the ocean I know about. And, they have to worry about hurricanes.

A nice community without a lot of crowding and noise. Probably not going to happen because other people want what you find desirable.

Not a lot of traffic. Unlikely. Others will be coming to move to your paradise too.

Good health care costs money and private insurance wants to pay as little as possible. Better plan on higher deductibles rather than lower ones.

Better fire up your van, get new tires, and have it serviced. What you want is largely wishful thinking. Some places cost less than others to live in. However, there is high correlation between desirable places and high costs. Real estate agents refer to it as the rule of: location; location; and location.

Seriously, I wish I read fewer posts like this and people didn't try to retire so young. Unless you have a lot of money from investments, inherited wealth, or winning the lotto you should plan on working until some age between 65 and 70. That's what is is realistic in a world where the average life span for a woman is now past 81.
Only realistic thread in this whole thing. Everybody else wants to tell bad jokes. OP, it aint happening. Malibu, CA is about the first thing that comes to mind and It doesnt sound like you can swing it. Why do have little money at 60? You have had a lifetime to get it together.

Old 01-02-2018, 04:06 PM

16,082 posts, read 10,747,693 times
A state with legal pot.

Old 01-02-2018, 04:18 PM

401 posts, read 331,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
If you are handy look into the GMC Motorhomes, 1973 to 1979
Thanks, I'm not too handy but did come across the interview with the owner of this 1975 GMC motorhome from CheapRVLiving on YouTube. 2 parts. I loved it, but it wouldn't be for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FstZ...F7Epu&index=50
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FstZ...joBTGYV-0F7Epu

Old 01-02-2018, 04:44 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Gitta job ‘ya dam hippie!!!

Old 01-02-2018, 05:03 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,933,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Gitta job ‘ya dam hippie!!!
Shoot! In my previous post, I forgot to ask bbtm100912 whether she is living in a state where pots are legalized.

She must be. How else that she could have come up with these wishes or dreams without taking some tokes.

And if she wants those wishes come true, she should keep on toking ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtm100912 View Post
Hi. I'll be 60 years old this year and ready to retire. I am a single female. I have very little money. Here's what I want.

A nice climate - meaning it only rains when I'm in the mood for a good afternoon storm and then it goes away. It only snows when I'm sick of looking at the naked ground and want a winter wonderland, then it goes away when I want it to. It only gets hot when I feel like going for a swim. It only gets cold when I'm sick of the heat
Great health care but no deductibles from my insurance. I also want to be close to the finest hospitals.

I have seen many threads like this and people have great advice about where to move. Please help me find my paradise
Note to markg91359,

You are way too serious to miss the OP's humor. Maybe you should move to another state ;-)
Where you can legally smoke marijuana in the US in 2018 - Business Insider

Quote:
Starting January 1, it is legal to smoke marijuana without a doctor's letter in nine states and use medical marijuana in 29 states.
Disclaimer: I am not a pot user. Never have and never will. Just can't stand the smell. I think I had given the OP some really practical and serious suggestions.

Old 01-02-2018, 07:47 PM

927 posts, read 969,728 times
I've been here in Thailand for three and half years now and love it more as time goes by. Cheap food, rent and simple living are the main benefits here. The medical, dentists, vision care is cheap, people are friendly most of the time also.

The downsides are a different culture and language can cause a few problems, but overall the goods outweigh the bad by a long shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement