Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 05:51 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
The plural of anecdote is not data.

Statistics show that 95% of the population is at risk for shingles, and according to the CDC, approximately one out of every three adults in the U.S. will - - - I repeat, will - - - get shingles.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/pressrel/2008/r080515.htm
I never said it was data. I was simply stating my personal observations over the last 50 years. There's no need to get your panties in a bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 06:17 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
OP, you are having a rough month!

Shingles is awful, I'm sorry you had to suffer it. I'm almost due for my first Shingles vax and I will be getting it for sure!!! My dad had shingles several years ago. My mom complained bitterly about how annoying he was, complaining about the pain of this lame rash. She didn't let up even when he was finally diagnosed and treated. She thought he was a huge baby about it. To this day I hope karma gives her shingles so she can know what he went through. (She was mean about a lot of other things as well)

Re: your phone. Is there an app that is running constantly, draining your power? Certain apps have to be closed or they keep drawing power. Anything with a GPS in particular or anything that connects with wifi and gets notifications. For example, If you open Facebook and leave it open, everytime someone posts something and get a notification, it is drawing power. OR if you open Google Maps or other GPS program when traveling...then when you arrive, you have to turn it off, or it continues to communicate with the satellite. When you are not using your phone, make sure that all apps are closed.

Old 01-06-2018, 06:17 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
My son showed me a trick. The little boxes at the bottom of your home screen. Click on them until you figure out which one opens the screen to show you all your recent calls and/or texts.....they stay open unless you swipe them off the screen to close them.

I had no idea, I had always thought they closed when I didn't text back....Turns out each setting is an app....anyway, swiping those off routinely it has helped my power to last longer.

Old 01-06-2018, 06:23 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I don't really understand this shingles epidemic that seems to be happening. Personally, that I know of, I'm not aware of one person that I know of that has had shingles. Also, I don't know of even one relative of mine that has had it, ever. Not 40 years ago or last year. Should I still be concerned?
My family seems to be really susceptible to viral things like shingles, cold sores etc. But I never get bacterial infections from cuts etc. So I think it may be somewhat personal, your own immune system. How it handles stress etc.

More importantly if you never had chicken pox or have no exposure to anyone with shingles its pretty unlikely that you have any risk. However you can get chicken pox as an adult and you can apparently get checken pox from direct contact with someone in a shingles outbreak.

If you have never had chicken pox you might want to get vaccinated.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:50 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Quote:
I don't really understand this shingles epidemic that seems to be happening. Personally, that I know of, I'm not aware of one person that I know of that has had shingles. Also, I don't know of even one relative of mine that has had it, ever. Not 40 years ago or last year. Should I still be concerned?
You should be very concerned. I had it and you don't want it.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:10 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
You should be very concerned. I had it and you don't want it.
I certainly don't want it and I don't envy people that have had it. It's just my personal observation that I've never known anyone that has had shingles and I'm certain I've had chicken pox as a child. Most of my relatives have lived into their 80s and 90s and my grandmother to 103. No one has ever had shingles. I must be living in a shingle free bubble. I have no other explanation.

For most of you, do you know that 1 out of every 3 people in your lives has had shingles? It sounds like a severe epidemic.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:36 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarlin20 View Post
After reading this thread I did a quick research on Shingrix. Looks like it is highly recommended over the old vaccine and good to get even if you got the older vaccine. I'll be getting it soon.
I had the older shot 5 years ago and got the new one before the end of the year and lost my great insurance plan, they covered me 100% on it.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:57 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Quote:
I certainly don't want it and I don't envy people that have had it. It's just my personal observation that I've never known anyone that has had shingles and I'm certain I've had chicken pox as a child. Most of my relatives have lived into their 80s and 90s and my grandmother to 103. No one has ever had shingles. I must be living in a shingle free bubble. I have no other explanation.

For most of you, do you know that 1 out of every 3 people in your lives has had shingles? It sounds like a severe epidemic.
Mine occurred on my right shoulder blade. It was a large blister, which healed fairly quickly. The pain was down deep in the muscle, I guess. It would feel like someone had grabbed my muscle with a pair of pliers and was twisting it. A neighbor contracted it inside her ear. She had to do a stay in the hospital . Another friend of mine, I had warned about getting the shot, contracted it about six months after the shot, so you never know.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:16 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Shingles is no joke. My father had it several years ago and was miserable - as was everyone around him. To top it off, due to his incompetent VA doctor he was improperly treated for it and developed postherpetic neuralgia. To this day, he will get nerve pain that drops him to his knees.

I'm not much on getting shots, but I'll be getting the shingles vaccination very soon.

As far as we know, there is no history of shingles in my family, but that didn't keep my father from being devastated by it.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:09 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Mine occurred on my right shoulder blade. It was a large blister, which healed fairly quickly. The pain was down deep in the muscle, I guess. It would feel like someone had grabbed my muscle with a pair of pliers and was twisting it. A neighbor contracted it inside her ear. She had to do a stay in the hospital . Another friend of mine, I had warned about getting the shot, contracted it about six months after the shot, so you never know.

I never had a hint of shingles, until two months after I was badgered into getting the Zostavax shot. I hope that my medical coverage plan sees fit to fund my getting the Shingrix vaccination, when it becomes available. The retail price of it is $280., if you're not covered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement