Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 05:21 PM

319 posts, read 279,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
But the single most important intervention one can take to prevent virtually any infectious disease is vaccination.
Some information I gathered:

One can still get shingles after vaccination. Even from the vaccine: FDA approves CHANGES TO Merck LABEL (see below)
Vaccine cuts the risk -- roughly by half. Roughly. 50%
Length of time immunity lasts? Not sure. 5 years?

No vaccination is 100%.

Then there is this:

Two important FDA approved changes to the warning label of Merck Pharmaceutical’s shingles vaccine, Zostavax, have been made since the controversial drug was introduced in 2006. The first was in August 2014, when, in addition to potentially causing chickenpox, another side effect was added: shingles! That’s right. The vaccine that had been – and continues to be -- aggressively marketed to prevent seniors from contracting this excruciating condition was found to actually cause shingles in some individuals.

In February of this year, the FDA approved a label change to warn those who prescribe the Zostavax vaccine of another potential side effect: “Eye Disorders: necrotizing retinitis.”

https://www.vaccineinjuryhelpcenter....ngles-vaccine/

https://www.classaction.com/zostavax/side-effects/

Maybe newer vaccine is fine. But I get a feeling there will be NO choice for anyone to decide anymore. There will be more and more and many vaccines to get. More for children, pregnant women, everyone.

I just don't like the thought of forced anything medical through government "manipulation." That's all.

Make them safe and better than 50% effective and give me the choice to say yes or no.

If a teacher can go back to work with shingles - just cover the rash - and be around children...what's the point of questionable vaccine if it can't be spread? it just seems there is A LOT of dis-information coming from vaccine promoters and dizzying contradictions. It's the hard sell TO EVERYONE that gets to me.

I understand how many billions the vaccines make for many. How much $$ does the other side make?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 08:25 AM

37,092 posts, read 41,220,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySam16 View Post

One can still get shingles after vaccination. Even from the vaccine: FDA approves CHANGES TO Merck LABEL (see below)

No vaccination is 100%.

Then there is this:

Two important FDA approved changes to the warning label of Merck Pharmaceutical’s shingles vaccine, Zostavax, have been made since the controversial drug was introduced in 2006. The first was in August 2014, when, in addition to potentially causing chickenpox, another side effect was added: shingles! That’s right. The vaccine that had been – and continues to be -- aggressively marketed to prevent seniors from contracting this excruciating condition was found to actually cause shingles in some individuals.

In February of this year, the FDA approved a label change to warn those who prescribe the Zostavax vaccine of another potential side effect: “Eye Disorders: necrotizing retinitis.”

Maybe newer vaccine is fine. But I get a feeling there will be NO choice for anyone to decide anymore. There will be more and more and many vaccines to get. More for children, pregnant women, everyone.

I just don't like the thought of forced anything medical through government "manipulation." That's all.

Make them safe and better than 50% effective and give me the choice to say yes or no.

If a teacher can go back to work with shingles - just cover the rash - and be around children...what's the point of questionable vaccine if it can't be spread? it just seems there is A LOT of dis-information coming from vaccine promoters and dizzying contradictions. It's the hard sell TO EVERYONE that gets to me.

I understand how many billions the vaccines make for many. How much $$ does the other side make?
What "other side"?

The biggest concern with shingles is persistent, excruciating pain, called post herpetic neuralgia.

The new shingles vaccine is about 90% effective. However, even if the original vaccine is only 50% effective, it is still worthwhile because the illness it prevents can be severe. Would you not want to reduce the risk of lifelong pain so severe it drives some people to suicide, even if only by 50%? That is the reason for the vaccine, not concern over spreading the virus.

You are free to refuse any vaccine. It boggles my mind though that anyone would not want to prevent diseases that can maim and kill.

Old 01-28-2018, 04:56 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,251,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
What "other side"?

The biggest concern with shingles is persistent, excruciating pain, called post herpetic neuralgia.

The new shingles vaccine is about 90% effective. However, even if the original vaccine is only 50% effective, it is still worthwhile because the illness it prevents can be severe. Would you not want to reduce the risk of lifelong pain so severe it drives some people to suicide, even if only by 50%? That is the reason for the vaccine, not concern over spreading the virus.

You are free to refuse any vaccine. It boggles my mind though that anyone would not want to prevent diseases that can maim and kill.
Most people, once they have had a dose of shingles, wish they had taken the shot. I know I did. As soon as I was diagnosed, I took my wife to the drug store and got her a shingle shot. As soon as I recovered (3 months), I got the shot.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:31 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,551,747 times
I am just waiting on the new Shingrix vaccine, but, it seemingly is not available yet. I wonder what the hold up is. As of Jan 8 my shingles rash has gone away and thank God any post herpetic neuralgia also went away, I think.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:27 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,283,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySam16 View Post

No vaccination is 100%.

Then there is this:

As Suzy says, the new vaccine, Shingrix is 90% effective in preventing shingles. I had to read this article from the New England Journal of Medicine to understand. This new vaccine is terrific. The thought of having a 90% chance of being able to avoid a painful disease like shingles is exciting to me. Probably, because I'm not there yet, but I see it coming. I'm 58 years old. This study was done on a very large group back in 2016.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1603800

Old 01-30-2018, 06:58 PM

22,821 posts, read 6,431,335 times
Both my mother and my sister in law got shingles, my mother was treated right away and still hurt a lot, my sister in law tried to ignore the rash and ended up going to the ER. Her rash and pain lasted for months. My husband and I got the vaccine last year, finally. We're 70 and 71.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement