Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 02:06 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,551,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
So I assume this new vaccine is better than the Singles shot I got two years ago? Can you have it after previously having a shot?
They recommend getting the new shot, even if you have had the old one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 08:10 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
The plural of anecdote is not data.

Statistics show that 95% of the population is at risk for shingles, and according to the CDC, approximately one out of every three adults in the U.S. will - - - I repeat, will - - - get shingles.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/pressrel/2008/r080515.htm
My sister had shingles, I had a very mild case (3 blisters and still have the scars), and my massage therapist got a raver that affected her health for a few years. Pain and exhaustion.

It is no fun.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
My sister had shingles, I had a very mild case (3 blisters and still have the scars), and my massage therapist got a raver that affected her health for a few years. Pain and exhaustion.

It is no fun.
I never heard of a raver? What is that?

Old 01-06-2018, 08:19 PM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
Make sure that you turn off apps after you finish using them. Go to the recently used app page (the lower left button) and close each app when you are done with it. This will help save battery use. Also, if you aren't doing an activity that requires your location (GPS, finding something near you, etc) turn off location when you don't need it, otherwise your phone is constantly contacting the satellite and it uses a lot of battery. Certain functions, such as navigation, need the location and eat up battery charge like crazy, so be sure to turn off that app when you are done with it. You can also reduce the amount of time before your phone will turn off the screen and go inactive when unused.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:27 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
I never heard of a raver? What is that?
Sorry, my term for a raving case of shingles. She was a mess for a long time.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:12 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,259,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
You reported your personal anecdotal observations and then questioned whether there really was a shingles epidemic with which you should be concerned because you personally didn't know anyone who had contracted it.

No, you never used the word "data," you simply drew a ridiculous conclusion based on your personal observations. I thought I was being relatively kind in my initial response, but I see I wasted my time.
Yes you did waste your time and badgering me because I don't know anyone that has had shingles doesn't help you.

Old 01-07-2018, 01:06 AM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
So I assume this new vaccine is better than the Singles shot I got two years ago? Can you have it after previously having a shot?
Shingrix is more effective than the original vaccine (Zostavax) and the protection does not wane as quickly. Yes, you can get it even if you have already had Zostavax.

Zostavax contains live virus; Shingrix does not.

CDC recommends new shingles vaccine to replace older one - CNN

Old 01-07-2018, 05:58 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
But Shingrix is more effective because it contains a lot of adjuvants and things that turbocharge the vaccine.
Those are what I'm afraid of.

Old 01-07-2018, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
But Shingrix is more effective because it contains a lot of adjuvants and things that turbocharge the vaccine.
Those are what I'm afraid of.
I am terrified of getting shingles again and I am grateful to the mfg that who figured out how to make those little vaccine turbochargers. But, being the gentleman that I am, I volunteer to get in front of you in the line and get my vaccine first.

Old 01-07-2018, 06:31 AM

4,276 posts, read 5,931,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I don't really understand this shingles epidemic that seems to be happening. Personally, that I know of, I'm not aware of one person that I know of that has had shingles. Also, I don't know of even one relative of mine that has had it, ever. Not 40 years ago or last year. Should I still be concerned?
My younger sister got the disease a few years ago - and she wasn't even 60 yet! Luckily she had only a mild case but still says it was sheer misery. We both had Chicken Pox as kids, the qualifying event/risk factor, as did most Baby Boomers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement