Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 05:44 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
When I was looking on the Internet for senior housing I found all the government subsidized housing to have prices. Those like HUD as an example. But the private ones, no way. They want to get you in there for their sales pitch.

Yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 07:45 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
If the place is advertised as low income, rent is based on a percentage of your monthly income.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:18 AM

808 posts, read 541,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Have you tried calling them on the telephone?
Nope. I can't think of a good reason to withold price information other than the building manager's experience, that when people find out how expensive it is, they back out. So they count on senior's lowered sales resistance if they show up in person.

My assumption is that if they won't do something as simple as list prices (and I'm not talking about subsidzed housing, which is a percentage) then their attitude toward their tenants is probably as bad as their attitude toward the shopping customer.

I may go down, but it's hours away, so I'm going to be in a bad mood, which may end up sabotaging the sales pitch, and waste my time. The last time I went to tour a retirement community without knowing the price range ahead of time, by the time the sales guy got around to mentioning prices (half an hour after he started) I was in such a bad mood I couldn't even think straight. So frustrating. It was a nice place, and I realized a few weeks later that I probably could afford it, but I'm not going back. That was in my home town. I hesitate to drive 3 hours to go through that again.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I've noticed that things marketed to seniors often have poor websites.
It's as if they think that older people have no web skills and won't notice all the missing information.

I use durable medical supplies, and it's nearly impossible to shop or order online, even if I'm not using my medical insurance. Prices aren't posted, there's no online ordering, search functions are practically useless.
Amen to that, too!

Old 01-09-2018, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I see some responses based on subsidized housing. Are these? What type of communities are they?
Well, I don't know! I'm using search engines to look for "senior housing" or 'retirement communities".

I'm just clicking on links, trying to find out the amenities and costs.

Right now, I am ignoring any that are subsidized. I know several people in subsidized housing, and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM complains about managers that harass them, come into their rooms, steal their stuff when they are out of town, "disabled" tenants who are criminals, and bully the other tenants. [I don't mean that everyone complains of everything, but I listed complaints I've heard].

I don't know a single person in subsidized housing who is in a situation I would want to be in.

But that is way off topic, except to say that I am skipping websites that indicate I'm looking at a subsidized housing situation.

Other than that, I have no idea what I am looking for. That's why I'm on the computer - to narrow my search and research my options.

I don't know whether to skip places that don't list prices. So far, I have. I'm trying to decide if I should revisit that decision.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
If you could share what are the names of some of the places and locations. It might help give a better answer.
Don't remember. Closed the window and went on to the next link on the search results page.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:10 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
My OH is 59 in a couple of months, and I will be 55 this year.

When my OH hit 55, I began looking at senior housing, vs buying a new house.
They didn't list prices, but wanted either exorbitant price compared to 3 br houses around here, or wanted 30-40%of your income for rent. I found thst out on the phone when I said no way was I going into a high pressure sales meeting not knowing If I could afford it. May be the price they gave me was artificially high, and maybe it was real. I don't know. It seemed to be in line with others I checked into.

I said no way.
Our current mortgage payment on the new 2/1 house we bought instead is around 18% gross or 21% net, why OH why would I volunteer for double the housing cost?I can add 10-20 % to my portfolio then and grow it ( actually we will /are paying off house quickly then ill afd it to our portfolio.)

Then we'd have to PAY for the nursing service if we need it too.

I said no, at least not now.

Well see in the future.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:27 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,051,409 times
Try actually going there!! When my late husband was sick he thought he might like to move to a community in FL. We planned a trip after we left AL to see several places. Most would not even let you in the gate unless you were with a real estate agent. No looking around to see if it might be what you would like.

I agree with the prices being hard to find too. We looked at a lot of websites and they are quite vague.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:52 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretBartle View Post
Nope. I can't think of a good reason to withold price information other than the building manager's experience, that when people find out how expensive it is, they back out. So they count on senior's lowered sales resistance if they show up in person.

My assumption is that if they won't do something as simple as list prices (and I'm not talking about subsidzed housing, which is a percentage) then their attitude toward their tenants is probably as bad as their attitude toward the shopping customer.

I may go down, but it's hours away, so I'm going to be in a bad mood, which may end up sabotaging the sales pitch, and waste my time. The last time I went to tour a retirement community without knowing the price range ahead of time, by the time the sales guy got around to mentioning prices (half an hour after he started) I was in such a bad mood I couldn't even think straight. So frustrating. It was a nice place, and I realized a few weeks later that I probably could afford it, but I'm not going back. That was in my home town. I hesitate to drive 3 hours to go through that again.
So you refuse to make a 5 minute phone call to get the prices. Instead, you come online and spend hours complaining about a situation YOU created. The information is available by telephone. There are no requirements that state prices have to be posted online. Life isn't Burger King. We can't always have it our way.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:33 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
These places and prices are based on one's "means"...has to be this way. Getting into these places is not an easy endeavor. In popular busy areas, waiting lists are years long. Where I live now, it's that way. Everyone wants to stay in warmer climate to live and especially with aging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement