Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 04:41 AM

7,185 posts, read 9,320,007 times

Advertisements

I'm doing it now part time at a 2X pay rate.

I love it!

But I guess I'm among the few who really loved their work. Many of us engineers feel that way. We went into it because we loved playing with the technical tools. I still do.

The best deal is that it is a temporary assignment, just 20 hour per week max, and I can quit anytime that I want. Meanwhile, it gives me a substantial pile of money that I can use for whatever I like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 07:14 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
I was early medically retired at age of 40.

Now 14 years later my SSDI doesn't pay the bills like it did when I started on it.

So I've gone back to work. Limited hours, limited pay allows me to keep my SSDI.

I've thought about finishing college, in a radically different direction from before, but one that will allow me to plug in courses I have already taken, unless they won't count anymore.
The problem is that it has to pay me well worthwhile compensation above my SSDI and my current paycheck plus any student loan repayment, but I don't see that happening here, I'd have to move to a higher COL area, and don't want to do that.

So I'm rather stuck between a rock and a hard place on that.

I've enjoyed being back to "having a purpose" in working again. I am pursuing other opportunities and hope something better will come through . Im looking fir a new challenge, so to speak.

If one enjoys work, enjoys what they used to do or looks to a new challenge in retirement, why NOT go back/continue to work?

Sitting around watching movies and eating bon bons or golfing every golf course within a 500 mile radius is NOT for everyone.

Extra kudos if you can "work when you want"!!!

Old 01-11-2018, 07:20 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Hell would have to freeze over.

It was so cold this last week I thought that might actually happen.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:49 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Debt made me go back to work. I retired with a substantial amount of debt, which I'm aware is not the advisable way to go, but it worked out for me. My earlier life didn't take a smooth, happy, path. Bad marriage that drained me financially and left me in debt and without child support is an easy way to sum it up.

We used to get our excellent health benefits for free, but the economy and politics made it so we had to start paying about six years before I retired, and it was a gradual contribution so we wouldn't be hit hard all at once. After four years, I was paying a substantial amount of money for health benefits that would not cost me a cent in retirement. I had moved to a more desirable location further from my job in anticipation of retirement, so I also had quite a pricey commute to the city, as well as a lot of time given up every day for the commute.

I had the time and age in and waited until the completion of a major project that would boost my resume. I looked at Paycheck City one day and worked out what my pension take-home would be without the cost of health insurance and commuting, and I found that I was schlepping two hours each way to the city and back and working 10-hour days for about $10K - $15K more a year than I would just retiring and sitting home. And I could make that up working at Barnes & Noble at the mall seven minutes away.

So, I retired at the end of February, 2016, figuring I'd hang out for a while, spend the summer at the beach, and look for work in fall to hit the debt I'd accumulated from helping my daughter through college.

Five weeks into retirement, I got a call from someone who wanted me to do some independent contractor work related to what I used to do. I did that, and before the project was done, I got another call from someone who wanted me to come work for them, also a contact from my old job. I worked there for a year, and through that job, I ran into someone else who wanted me to come work for him and paid more at a better location for me, so I took that job. I work three days a week. I won't work full-time again.

The debt is almost dead, and so I think I am going to pack it in for good in a couple of months. My pension is more than enough to live on, I will be 60 this year, and I would like to enjoy some non-working life while my health is good and maybe finish that novel I've been working on for the past ten years.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:39 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
I'm not retiring early, but if I did, I would definitely entertain the idea of taking on consulting work, where I could specify up front that it would be for a specific project and/or a defined period of time.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:59 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,306 times
My dad works 5 hours a day, 4 days a week. For him, it's more about having a daily routine and getting out of the house. Having a little extra spending money and staying active.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:20 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,533,449 times
No work for me. Retirement is bliss.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:29 AM

989 posts, read 769,481 times
A Bomb to fall on my head! Oh I would be Dead then. Answer Nothing.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:39 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,059 times
Nothing. There isn't enough money out there! I'd rather downsize, live in a tent ! then ever have to work again. If my ancient body was all young and vigorous, then PERHAPS if the money were still there, I'd love to be a stripper again. Now that was fun !!

Old 01-11-2018, 05:10 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,417,453 times
Most likely a court order and a threat of imprisonment for defying same.

I'm not ruling out doing something when I retire. But probably not too much of it and more of a "keep busy" kind of thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement