Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 05:53 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,108,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I'm sorry but this is ridiculous. Your behavior, not your wife's.

Using hard drives for backups went out in the 90s. Get her an inexpensive account at an online ISP. I use Hurricane Electric, which is based in Silicon Valley, but really it can be anywhere. You get lots of storage for very little money. Then learn to use sftp to transfer files. This solution has the advantage of keeping a copy of her data offsite.

The other solution is to buy large capacity thumb drives. People usually forget to label them, though, and being so small they can get lost. And it's still in your house, so in the event of a fire or other disaster, it's destroyed too.
Thanks for the suggestions, but you are the one who doesn't have a hint. We are both photographers dealing with a great many terabytes of storage. We have multiple onsite and off site drives. We are using 4-6 Tb drives, not some thumb drive with a few hundred gig capacity. Back ups need to be done daily while we are shooting and often do not have internet access.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 06:07 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Me too! I love my programmable coffee maker and love waking up to the smell of fresh brewed coffee every morning. I'm still getting up at the same time every day...even on days off, dang it...so it's nice to have that.
This is making me want a programmable coffee maker. I went with a pour over coffee system recently and
I love it except programmable isn't an option.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:26 PM

7,036 posts, read 6,287,208 times
Reminds me of the coffeemaker I bought & still have, at Goodwill. It doesn't have a timer for wake up but shuts off by itself after a period of time. I wonder to this day who gave up that wonderful machine. Still works great after 6-7 years. I remember many times I wondered whether I'd shut it off & had to turn around to make sure.

When I worked I loved the automatic timer but now, I make my coffee as I give my cat her morning meal.

I've been pretty lazy lately. Still haven't emptied all my boxes & am buying 'organizing' items to get the clutter out. I now realize that although they took up a lot of space in the 30 boxes I allowed myself when moving I gave a lot away, I' m re-buying them because they do organize & reduce clutter.

Someday I'll be organized again.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I've been pretty lazy lately. Still haven't emptied all my boxes & am buying 'organizing' items to get the clutter out. I now realize that although they took up a lot of space in the 30 boxes I allowed myself when moving so I gave a lot away, I' m re-buying them because they do organize z& reduce clutter.
I have to be careful that I am actually moving things out of the house and not just reorganizing junk I should not be keeping in the first place. I only give myself pats on the back for stuff that is thrown away, given away, donated or sold.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:34 PM

10,833 posts, read 14,927,894 times
My wife.

The day I married her was the luckiest day of my life. It is when I became truly wealthy.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:40 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
This is making me want a programmable coffee maker. I went with a pour over coffee system recently and
I love it except programmable isn't an option.

Mine is a plain ol' Mr. Coffee but I sure like it. It turns off after two hours so I don't have to worry about whether I turned it off when I went to work. When my last one died I bought another one but I didn't like it because if I wanted to keep the coffee hot it wouldn't let me turn on the warmer without brewing more. So I got another one and this one does. Sometimes I use it to make half a pot of Constant Comment tea in the afternoon too.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:49 PM

15,945 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
The answer - money. And good health.
This.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:51 PM

15,945 posts, read 7,009,348 times
I also think how we manage relationships helps to keep life pleasant and simple. The secret may be to let go of attachment but it is hard.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:58 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
^^^^^^^^ Regarding the topic of constant movement, how about people who cannot sit with silence? If a conversation stops, they feel uncomfortable and begin chattering about something to fill the void.
I remember a road trip I took with a cousin. Fourteen hours on the road and the woman never stopped talking. I'd try to say something and she would get louder and louder so I couldn't say anything. Same stories said with the same inflections throughout. It was strange.

She is also one that has to be constantly " entertained ".

Old 01-12-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
The answer - money. And good health.
Not sure I agree.

I know plenty of rich people that are miserable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement